Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 199 of 202
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 17, 2019 08:34AM

Yup!! that's always a great feeling for some reason!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: October 17, 2019 02:40PM

About 20% of undercarriage brushed and rust treated. Removed gas tank, was hoping to clean and reuse but.....

Attachments:
Date: October 17, 2019 02:42PM

.....there's a hole in it

Attachments:
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 17, 2019 04:46PM

Drove Gem to work today...wind blasting on the way home.

Expected to get blown around a bit...Gem was unfazed.

A/C car so spare up front with a medium toolbag.

And a Harbor Freight light weight floor jack.

The factory air dam was the difference.

Attachments:
Date: October 17, 2019 04:47PM

OOPS...wrong thread.

But you get the idea.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 17, 2019 05:10PM

Rick and took a bunch of wiper arms and measured spring tension on them. Seems his were low at 9 & 10 lbs. We found the average to be 12.5 lbs of all we tested from our cars and the loose ones we have. I took a 14 & 15 for my coupe. Rick got 13 and a 12.75s for his More Door. I installed a set of 12.5s on my More Door. All the rest are spares. Anything under 11 are being scrapped.

I am working on another Monza instrument panel for Rick. Seems he found a better looking one in Maggie Valley. No dents and better looking. I checked gas gage and it works fine. Will clean up and repaint the gage housing, install his clock I put in the other panel, install LED lights and make new green signal lenses and a blue high beam indicator. The other panel will remain assembled as a back up with his old clock, if it works.

Disassembled the third front suspension/steering assembly this evening. One more to go, then it is pick a part time to make one good one for me and another for Rick. All remaining parts probably will be scrapped.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2019 05:15PM by Lane66m.

Date: October 19, 2019 02:31AM

Yesterday, I got the Monza panel cleaned up and housing painted. All instruments tested good and installed. LED bulbs installed and harness installed. I will test it today and complete panel assembly.

While I am doing his panel, I am making up a spare panel for Donna and mine More Door. Just as easy to do 2 as 1.

I stripped out a light switch connector and wiring from a LM harness. I disconnected from connectors and cut red power wire close to soldered splice. Tagged all wires to where they terminated. Rick's harness is a cut up mess full of blue automotive splices. Rick will install this connector and use the minimum enviromental splices in the installation. He will solder the red wire to existing wire.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2019 02:35AM by Lane66m.

Date: October 19, 2019 11:41AM

Finally got the passenger side bucket in Gem.

Took slack out of the idle solenoid plunger.

Was having to prop up the pedal at idle.

Attachments:

Date: October 19, 2019 11:54AM

Forgot to say bench seat will eventually go back in.

jetcat found a really good upholstery shop local.

Attachments:
Date: October 19, 2019 03:59PM

Worked on Rick's Monza instrument panel some more. Upgraded his panel to a 1968 fuel gauge, which has the brake reservoir fluid warning light. Added the socket/wiring to harness and tested the panel from connector pins. Panel tested properly. We made new red lenses for the warning indicators, green lenses for turn signal indicators and blue lens for hi beam indicator. Set up wires for clock and brake reservoir fluid warning circuits to add to fuse box harness. Next up is to clean & polish the 68 instrument gage bezel to remove scratches.

Started sending gauge housings,plastic panels and trim panel to recycle bins I have. Keeping just I need as spares for my More Door. Some speedometer and fuel cages are excess and will be sold to anyone needing one. I have cut the trim panels to have available as AC outlet templates, in case someone needs on. Right now I have 3 for glove box panel and one for instrument panel.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: October 20, 2019 07:21AM

She’s looking good Phil!

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: October 20, 2019 12:05PM

New front tires. Now the project of restoring the old 14s begins! I picked up a set of redline tires for em, hopefully they look good under one of the cars

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, six Jeep FC 170s, 1966 Jeep CJ5A, 03 neon, 5 Rokon Trailbreakers, Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: October 20, 2019 05:01PM

When I put the engine in my white rampy earlier this year it was to get it running. I do not like having not running vehicles. This one came from my dads hoarde of corvairs in sorry shape. The engine was from a van I scrapped. I knew it ran and the van had been parked by my dad by a diff problem. Didn't know how it would do and or what the transaxle was like. So I was lazy and did not put new side seals in, since the originals were long gone. Since the engine runs great and the truck drives well and I have been using it as a truck, I decided to seal up the engine compartment today. Pulled the side shrouds and hand stapled in new seals. The front the material is still there and my fingers were cut up enough I just installed the missing retainer. Also found a skid plate cover and even a lower grille - even though this truck surely did not have one from new. All buttoned up now with seals all around the perimeter and ready for more serious driving.

Date: October 20, 2019 05:21PM

You're a good man Charlie Brown!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 20, 2019 06:32PM

Finished the work on Rick's instrument panel and assembled it. He will get tomorrow morning with a box of parts and wires to install it. His task week is to install it in his 65 More Door.

Made up a test article to test out lighting for the PG Selector legend. Current LED bulb does not light up all letters. Once we have worked out a resolution, we will implement it in Rick's and my More Doors.

Assembled my Corsa instrument panel and one spare panel. Excess gauge housings have been sent to recycle bin.

Brought last LM front suspension assembly into work area. It will be tackled in a few days. Donna is having spine surgery tomorrow morning which will put off any work on cars and yard for a week or so by me and longer by here.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:

Posted by: corvair500 ()
Date: October 21, 2019 07:03AM

Sent car to Corvair mechanic for brake work and exhaust leak . I am too old to do this now. I always suspected that one day I would be old but never knew it would happen so fast

Date: October 21, 2019 07:11AM

Over the last year I have started asking for help.

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: October 24, 2019 12:20PM

With help from this forum, and a few contributors, I got my 65 110 PG Sports Sedan running better than ever!!! Rolling down the road, confidently, as a happy Corvair driver again.

Car was hard to start, and dying when I would put it in gear. Ken Hand pointed me in the direction of points. That was it!!! Adjusted gap, set timing, synched carbs, and BANG...she runs better tha ever.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2019 12:20PM by viewmaster.

Date: October 24, 2019 12:21PM

We'd never think of suggesting that to you... Aa veteran Vair Traveller! eye rolling smiley

Date: October 24, 2019 03:18PM

Continued cleaning my new project today. Took out the interior. Nice floors, found some cool original build tags too.

Attachments:

Current Page: 199 of 202

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.