Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 198 of 199
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 05, 2019 04:00AM

Rick and I have worked a miss issue with my More Door Thursday. We checked and found dewll outside on the low side. We back setup the points and timing. I took it for a run and it was better on acceleration but was rough running when cruising at 50 mph. Another test with advance hose off, resolved the problem. We decided that we had a distributor issue to work on.

Yesterday, I found another 319 distributor and made sure it had minimal bushing side play out of the 3 I had available. I went through it to ensure it was proper assembled, then installed points.. I then went trough the installed distributor to determine if I could spot any issues. I found the point plates had loosen and the weights had developed corrosion on the piot ins and in the holes making them sticky. I clean up the the assembly and reinstalled the parts. I set dwell at 38 degrees and took the car for a run. Problem was resolved. On the way to see Rick about adjusting the high idle issue, the problem reared it ugly head again. One key we did see with the timing is that the timing mark would go out of sight when advance was hooked up and engine accelerated to a high rpm.

I got to Rick's hanger and setup engine rotation for a distributor change. I had brought the distributor I worked on and a TSP electronic distributor I had acquired. Due to the springs changes needed for the TSP, we installed the replacement OEM 319 distributor. Rick setup points, dwell and timing. Engie seemed much better. Idle was high, so an attempt was made to lower it. Could not do as right side throttle plate seemed to not close when stop was backed out and lever against housing.

Anyway, brought the car home last nigh and had no further issue with the cruising performance.

Now why would vacuum advance pull the timing so far advance to create this issue. It was so far advance that on the last drive, I could hear engine ping until I stopped and disconnected it.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 05, 2019 08:06AM

Al,from our FAQ's

VA adjusting
Posted by: MattNall
Date: August 21, 2007

There are so many different PN's of Vair VA's and they were designed for use in the 60's

Adjust YOURS..

take it off lay in vice and using a proper sized SOCKET [ 1/2"??]& Hammer

Dimple the flat area around the hose nipple...

lower it 1/8" first and test on the car....

if pinging comes back... lower it another 1/8"

IF you have access to a Mighty Vac or other vacuum pump with gauge...you can test the unit Before / during and after

It's a simple no brainer..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 05, 2019 08:46AM

Matt:

This a 230 VA as required by the 319 distributor. Is the spring just weak in it.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: October 05, 2019 09:35AM

Just did a test on the VA off the removed distributor. It starts pulling at 4 in. hg. and pulls fully in at 15 in. hg. Another VA I have in the shop pulls fully in at 19 in. hg.

Someone has already dented the old VA housing by the nipple. So that one will be scrapped.

The one on the car starts pulling at 7 and fully closed at 22 in. hg. Best one is on the car.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: October 05, 2019 11:06AM

Wow!! the one that was so low... and had been dimpled? must've been the wrong spring from the factory... something like that is only used on Vacumn only distributors...

I get the "best to me" results dimpling to get a 10-11" start pressure.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 05, 2019 04:48PM

I am going to leave the VA as is until after Maggie Valley. I found it had a point of stiction about 75% into its travel before popping into full retract. It was caused by the new condenser. It has a terminal end too tall for the dust cover when fully seated on the screw. I had to bend the wire terminal over the point arm to get clearance. It was either that or leave the dust cover off.

I got the tune-up kit from John Sweet. Maybe he can watch out for this poorly assembled condenser that he is getting from his vendor.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: October 06, 2019 10:17AM

Installed front belts in More Door. Got them in time for the Maggie Valley trip. Rick will bringing my Vair since it appears his will take more time than what is available for all the tasks remaining.

Installed engine lid seal.

Took VA off and tried dimpling end. Tested prior and it was 7 in my to start pulling. After 3 attempts at dimpling and creating a good dimple, I only changed it 1 in hg. So it is back on the car at 8 in hg.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: October 06, 2019 10:28PM

Last progress for a while... found a starter local... but need a transaxle...I'll find one in San Diego next trip.

Attachments:

Posted by: radicalbuff ()
Date: October 09, 2019 11:58AM

Added an electric fuel pump with a momentary button to prime carbs when they are dry. Works real slick! Funny thing is we bought all the stuff for it last year and it took us this long to get it put on.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Also about a month ago we put a spoiler on the front. I didn't think it would make much difference but it surprisingly does! We left it black. Now we have to be more careful with the front not to squash it in low spots or parking spots.

"Bucket List Project Manager!"
Deb ... Riverton, Utah

My 64 Corvair Blog which is not finished yet. [radicalbuff.com]

Date: October 10, 2019 08:47PM

Good friend Marty Scarr located a Turbo Transaxle.... picked it up yesterday...250 mile round trip...

Weighs 123 lb... with 10 lb or more to lose if / when the RWD coupling is removed. The length will reduce to 25" from oil pan corner to end of trans as well.

This afternoon I had a chance to Stab it... and all is great! Now for Flywheel placement / easy and Starter fitup / who knows Honda starter...

Attachments:

Date: October 12, 2019 08:41PM

90 minutes between race and game....

Sized FW spacer and cut.... Mounted FW and Transaxle

Starter will just need spacing 5/8"...simple adapter plate.... if you have the aluminum! Monday!

Attachments:
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 13, 2019 06:50AM

That thing is going to run soon!!!

Do Subarus run counter clockwise?

Date: October 13, 2019 07:02AM

Nope, but SubaruGears....world authority based in Autralia says no problem with less than 200 ft. lb. torque...

This is why I think this is a great 5 speed for our street use..

Trans $500 or less for non turbo versions

Crown adapter casting.. $150

Subie trans to VW adapter $400 or less

Clutch assy. NEW Hi-po $60 disk, plate, T-O bearing, align tool.

Starter Honda $50 rebuilt... Everyone seems to carry them. Gear reduction too! 1.4kw

Flywheel??? not available at this time... why I adapted the non -turbo FW... $50

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 13, 2019 08:16AM

Attachments:

Date: October 13, 2019 08:23AM

Yup!! $300 WRX Turbo trans.. with Hydraulic clutch..

Dan Davis found a 2017 non turbo trans in Seattle 12 k miles... $300 also..

Date: October 13, 2019 08:29AM

Here's the trans with Rear drive pieces removed and an aftermarket rear cover.

website lots of info and pics [subarugears.com]

Make your own endcover or buy their's [subarugears.com]

Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: October 13, 2019 10:15AM

Been working on the heater system on the 65 convertible for two days now. Got it pretty well in pieces, yesterday was mostly getting the rear section apart and getting the diaper doors unfrozen and moving well got a new high output fan to go back in but want to put a new control cable in first so the fans not in the way. Got the air duct out and looking to make some repairs to the long section and hoping someone can help me with a good section that goes thru the front floor that the air door for the defroster mount to. And a rear grill for the back seat area they someone decided to cover up with carpet the metal duct was just sitting on top of the long section when I dropped it down yesterday.Today working on but repair and cleaning so I have some fresh smelling air when the time comes So have a great day everyone.Vair on brothers!

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: October 16, 2019 02:37PM

Started the resto on the 65 Corsa vert I bought. Got some 15" chevy rallyes and new meat on. Began the process of wire brushing and sealing the underside. Long way to go....

Attachments:

Date: October 16, 2019 04:05PM

In two days, Donna and I have disassembled 2 complete front suspension assemblies. We have two more to go. Not many issues in getting them apart. I think we have broken 5 bolts. Mostly 1/2" head bolts and one cam bolt. All shocks are spirals so far and all are failed units. Solid cross members, and we may have one or two left over that we don't need later this year.

We will pick out best parts to build up an assembly for the 66 Coupe. We will also take a good RH front strut rod and clean it up for the More Door. Rick will also pick parts to make an assembly for his 65 Corsa.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: mashad11 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 11:52PM

The windshield washer mechanism never worked since I got the car. I had no idea what I was doing but I took the whole thing apart, cleaned it inside and out and put it back together.

Low and behold ... it started squirting after ? years. The mechanism is a 1960's engineering marvel that works after 50+ years. They don't make cars like this anymore.

Here is the slow-mo video of it working for the first time ... never knew one could get so much satisfaction and sense of accomplishment for such a simple thing!

Windshield Washer Working after x years - Slow-mo!

Ali S
'67 Convertible - 110 PowerGlide
Los Angeles

Current Page: 198 of 199

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.