Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: cochranrg ()
Date: April 29, 2019 09:33AM

This weekend I actually got the motor running! Runs strong, but found some problems. The fuel lines are leaking at the hose ends and I don't have the chokes hooked up yet, but the thing actually ran! Got new fuel lines and choke parts on order (more money in the bucket).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 29, 2019 02:45PM

Life is good! Hopefully you'll be driving soon!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: May 08, 2019 02:00PM

Popped off my carbs to troubleshoot an intermittent hot start issue. Found a sticky float on the passenger side primary, so I replaced it with a handy spare. Also replaced a couple of my insulators as one cracked in half when I tried to remove it and another had clear cracks in it. I removed and capped off both secondary carb fuel lines and removed the floats so they wouldn't be bouncing around in empty bowls. My lovely aluminum block-off plates went back in so I have 2 vacuum tight placeholders that look like secondary carbs and hold up my sexy air cleaners. The fuel inside them was dark even though I try to open them up and use them occasionally. Other things I have corrected are a hunting idle speed and corrected the imbalance between the carbs while on choke. I actually have too much fast idle now so will adjust the U shaped tang that touches the fast idle cam to maker the gap smaller. One was wider than the other, so I made them both the wider size, but it appears the smaller gap was the correct one. Once the chokes open up the idle falls where it should. If I owned Bob Helt's book I would have known the correct gap so I will need to remedy that situation and buy a copy. The idle speed is goo, pulls like it should when I step on it, fix my fast idle and drive it on the primaries only for a while.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: May 08, 2019 02:13PM

Greg... Set Emerson sells it now! Sethracer AT aol.com

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 08, 2019 02:44PM

Thanks, Matt!

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: May 09, 2019 09:24AM

Decided to adjust the fast idle and turn in the idle mixture screws a bit more this morning and drive it to work. Could tell right away something more than a lean idle mixture was going on. I had no time to troubleshoot before work, grabbed daily driver and off I went but suspect that replacement float had a pinhole in it and it took some time to fill sufficiently to become apparent, sat all night last night. I have a couple more sets so I'll swap one in tonight after work. I'll be able to shake it and know for sure.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: May 09, 2019 06:57PM

Turned out that I had reduced the gap on the fast idle tang part of the throttle rod in such a manner that it now rubbed against and quite handily removed the lower clip from the driver's side primary. Oops. Don't accelerate too well on one carb at idle... Easy fix though, and glad I verified no fuel leak before I dug into the passenger side primary again. Back to happy motoring.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: May 12, 2019 04:26PM

installed heads and rockers last week, inlet manifold yesterday. Going to go install the supercharger and some misc stuff now. (V6 3.8 from '02 Bonneville)
Getting closer!

Date: May 12, 2019 06:59PM

Jay, about time... Summer is here!!

Posted by: chrisverble ()
Date: May 14, 2019 07:54AM

Took my Rampside into Germantown for a soft opening of a new chicken place. First time taking it on the parkway and this far from my house. Everything went smoothly cool smiley

Nashville, TN
1961 Rampside

Date: May 14, 2019 07:56AM

Great!!

Posted by: corvairbob ()
Date: May 15, 2019 06:49PM

put the top down cleaned it up gassed it up and took it out for the first run of the season.

Posted by: cochranrg ()
Date: May 16, 2019 09:04AM

Replaced the fuel lines and stopped all leaks. Got the clutch adjusted and working as well as new master cylinder and brake work.

Also got the bucket seats back from upholstery and they look great! Got all the seats installed.

Now have brakes and clutch! If I could only get the carbs working....

Rob

1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Bennett, Colorado

Date: May 16, 2019 12:14PM

A few days off of production work... so I started on my 2" Big Single with 3" collector...

Date: May 17, 2019 03:46PM

More work today...cut short by Auto racing and Softball regionals...

Surely a pic tomorrow.

3" Plenum merge chamber modified for 2 " inlets and Pass. side tubing tacked.

Attachments:
Posted by: ctcorvair ()
Date: May 19, 2019 11:08AM

The fuel sender I ordered from Clark's and the one ordered from Corvair ranch both only go to half when it should read full. I tried messing with the internals and screwed one up. As close as I can tell in order to read full it must be 35ohms and the most I can get it to read is 25ohms. Bending the arm doesn't help. I got fed-up and Now i just figure that half means full and E means 3-4 gallons left.

I'm trying to get this guy's Trike running trouble-free and as close to stock as I can get. I thought it would be easy but every time I try to change something I realize why it's set-up the way it is. Right now I'm setting up a manual choke for just the right carb. The automatic choke won't work because the throttle linkage is in the way. And I'm going to replace the flex fuel hoses with new ones because they're thrashed, but it's tough to get to the outlet on the fuel tank...it's right next to the starter. At least on the car when you lift the hood it's all right there...On the trike, the engine is buried under the rear seat and hard to access.

Date: May 19, 2019 02:11PM

Find a 90 ohm resistor and put it between the wire and ground.... see what the gauge reads....

or do you have a LM car?

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 19, 2019 02:39PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More work today...cut short by Auto racing and Softball regionals...
>
> Surely a pic tomorrow.
>
>
> 3" Plenum merge chamber modified for 2 " inlets and Pass. side tubing tacked.

Will these be for your own use or are you going back into production?

Date: May 19, 2019 04:27PM

Personal TEST at this time... Hoping for ZERO Backpressure with a PowerGlide..

Attachments:
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 19, 2019 05:05PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personal TEST at this time... Hoping for ZERO Backpressure with a PowerGlide..

Is that a lockup torque converter? grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.