home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 169 of 171
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 03:19PM

Installed 4 new shocks on my 1961 Monza yesterday, whether it needed them or not. Front shocks last replaced 1966, rear shocks last replaced 1973.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 04:52PM

Drove the '63 to town to fill it with 100% 93 octane for my trip this weekend to the Somerset KY Power Cruise.

Somernites Power Cruise

Meeting up with the Coker Chattanooga group. Should be a good time!

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: September 19, 2017 09:53AM

Ran in an Auto Cross race at Portland Intl. Raceway yesterday. It was a Porsche club event so I didn't win but it was fun and helped get data on the car.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: yodman ()
Date: September 20, 2017 09:38AM

Readjusted my valves on one side, filled my flat tire (bad spot in the bead i'd guess), and ran it idling for 45 minutes to find no more leaks from the push rod tubes, YAY!

Now I gotta replace my pan gasket, as it appears to dribble. I did tighten all the bolts as much as I felt comfortable.

I'll get her out for a good test drive tonight. She purrs nicely on one bank, and may need minor adjustment on the other bank yet. Only adjusted one side as it was the noisy side, with about 4 loose valves after the push rod tube seal replacement.

Preparing for her big drive on Friday, assuming I don't have brake issues before then!

Date: September 24, 2017 04:10PM

A follow up on my above post. Got back today from Somernites in KY. About a 330 mile round trip. Vair ran great. 1094 cars according to their Facebook post this morning. They gave away a nicely restored '73 beetle. Lots of different cars, though only one other vair and I apparently missed taking a picture of it. A skyblue '64 vert with a 140 in it. Never found the owner.

You need to put this on your bucket list. Will probably do it again in the future.

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs

Attachments:
Posted by: owen ()
Date: September 25, 2017 10:45AM

Spent a week in Hutchinson KS with eight Corvair powered UltraVans.

Attachments:

Posted by: Westds ()
Date: September 25, 2017 02:26PM

Went to the Ironstone Concourse d' Elegance in Murphy CA Saturday and surprise I won Best of Class.It's always good for our cars value when we get a little recognition in front of a large audience of car enthusiasts.

Attachments:

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: September 26, 2017 10:22AM

Fixed an exhaust leak, tightened up the diff fill port, after i topped it off. Gave her a bath.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: geezer43 ()
Date: September 30, 2017 11:24AM

Just got back from a 10 mile drive and parked it in the garage over paper towels. I'm hoping to isolate what is leaking, tranny or oil. Yesterday I thought tranny, today I think oil because it was a bit over filled.

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: September 30, 2017 01:51PM

I tore down my driver's side primary and secondary (again) as among other things, I had a fuel level discrepancy in one of my primaries. I have an electric fuel pump I can run with the engine off so I filled all the carbs till they shut off and 3 of the 4 carbs were all filled to the same level and one of the primaries was fairly significantly lower after all the carbs went back together when they had been powder coated. I had also added Roger's 140 linkage set at the same time so I had a few things all working against me symptom-wise. I had 3 primary carbs, one of which didn't run right no matter what I seemed to do to it. Anyway, as I was putting them all back together I noted that 2 of the venturi clusters had one number on them and the other was different. So, I put the 2 that were the same in the primary carbs. I had a completely on me issue with the linkage where one was binding (I hadn't locked down the lock nut on the Heim joint length extension properly, and it had twisted a bit and caused some binding, preventing a consistent drop to idle. I found that and then the idle miss came back and my oil filter started leaking. That bummed me out and I just let the car sit for a few weeks.
Last night I finally got back to it and found after I re-primed the carbs that my level discrepancy was much better and after examining the floats a bit more I noticed one of the primary floats stuck down just a bit more then the other which would make the valve close a bit early. I think the fuel level issue is gone. Yay, 1 down. I reassembled the secondary and reinstalled it. I turned my attention to the primary idle circuit. I squirted WD-40 through the idle mixture screw hole after taking the needle out and removing the cluster, and had good flow both out the idle circuit hole below the throttle plate and up to the base of the cluster. I then looked though the idle siphon tube and..hmm..can't see any light through the opening in the tube! I squirted more WD-40 (fairly innocuous and didn't have carb cleaner handy) and then pop out goes the obstruction and nice flow through the tube. D'oH!! This cluster was in the carb the wouldn't ever idle right and I finally know why.
Anyway, put it back together and ran fuel pump to top off carbs and check for leaks while not running, and all was good. The missus and my mother in law arrived at that time and I had other stuff to do so stopped there last night.

This morning, disconnected coil and cranked until oil pressure light went out looking for oil filter leak (I replaced the fiber washer when I tried tightening it down and it leaked there too instead of just around the outer seal) Looked OK, so reconnected the coil and started it up. I needed to adjust the fast idle tang on the throttle shaft as I wasn't getting enough throttle opening when cold. I did that when hot so we'll see how it idles cold next time. I checked the balance and it's almost perfect. Took it for a drive and it's much better. Still needed to tighten the oil filter bolt a bit more to stop the outer seal to adapter housing leak, I guess I was just not tightening it enough.

Long story longer, pretty darn happy with it right now. Need to post this and get the image resizer on this PC then pics will come.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: October 01, 2017 11:34AM

Vacuumed it out and replaced the dome light with an LED bulb, and it was polarized, and only worked when inserted in one direction. Was curious if it had steering diodes to allow it to work in either direction. Just as bright and much cooler running.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: October 01, 2017 04:03PM

Cleaned my turbo oil bath filter element and replaced the oil. Although I lose some boost because of the oil bath pre-filter, it definitely catches the dirt. My main element filter looks brand new and the dirt I cleaned out of the pre-filter element looked like talcum powder after the gas I used to clean it evaporated.

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Posted by: mleemitchell ()
Date: October 01, 2017 05:14PM

I have been working on cleaning rust off the front suspension assembly using electrolysis. It's kind of fun and I was able to get a couple of pieces in and cleaned up today.

Mike

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: October 01, 2017 08:00PM

Yesterday I installed a newly rebuilt set of carburetors on my wife's '65 Monza. The car was running great on the old carbs but was difficult to start if left to sit more than about 8 hours. It would take 30 sec of cranking to fill them [mechanical pump] as they would be completely dry. I finally figured out that the bowls were emptying out through leaking lead plugs. At the same time I made an upgrade by installing one of Roger Parent's linkage assemblies. I had already removed both carbs before reading in Roger's instructions to make sure to have a set up and running set of carbs on the engine. Oh well, I wasn't going back, so I pressed on regardless and installed the matched set I had sent to be rebuilt by Grant Young.

Roger's instructions were very detailed, so much that it took almost as much time to read them as to install the kit. Everything pretty much fell together and there were no clearance issues.

Then the moment of truth; I cranked the engine only about 10 seconds before the carbs filled and it started right up. With a couple blips of the throttle it settled down into a nice 700 RPM slightly lopy idle. Grant's setup adjustments seemed to be right on. I let the engine warm up a while as I fetched my Unisyn gauge. With the throttle opened to about 2000 RPM the left carb was drawing slightly less. It was very easy to make an ever so slight adjustment to the left side arm on the linkage to get an identical flow reading on both sides. After doing this the idle was quite smooth but I could smell a slightly rich mixture. A 1/4 turn in on each idle mixture screw got rid of the rich smell and smoothed out the idle even more (helped also by Seth's HEI distributor). A quick test drive and all was well.

As a test I went out this evening to start the car after sitting 24 hours; it fired up with less than a fill turn of the crank.

Hat's off to our aftermarket vendors. Never before have I had such an easy carburetor R&R and setup on a Corvair!

Photos - Left and right rebuilt carburetors and Roger Parent linkage installed.

[corvaircenter.com]
Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Attachments:

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: October 01, 2017 08:25PM

Convertible top install on my '64 has stretched out a bit too long. Full overhaul of the top and tew tack strips all around took awhile. New well material, insulation etc as well. Back window install today and the top is in place. Hopefully should be wrapped up this week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 08:26PM by The Stig.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 02, 2017 03:55PM

Posted elsewhere here. I installed the newly available Re=Pop of the original FC front floor mat1

Love it!thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: October 03, 2017 09:07PM

Removed the 1962 distributor from my 1961 Super Turbo Air Monza Coupe and installed the original (repaired) 1961 distributor. Adjusted dwell, then timing, then curb idle, then idle mixture. Checked balance w/Unisyn at idle and at 1100 rpm.

PO (original owner) had swapped the original distributor out May 27, 1963 due to seized shaft.

Back to 1961 configuration! The tune-up parts are less common, but it runs good right now.

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: October 05, 2017 08:48AM

Crampy got an air dam. The dam is a S-10 pickup truck front bumper cover. I did not like the 18" space below the front bumper of the FC. It is now 8" but with the front overhang, I have to watch for dips on driveways. Jim

Attachments:
Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: October 05, 2017 07:14PM

Here is retouched pic with the white spot on the air dam blacked out. It looks a little better that way. Jim

Attachments:
Date: October 07, 2017 02:59PM

Went to the local Cars and Coffee this morning. When it came time to leave I start the 63 and it started right up. That is good. The Gen light did not go off, though. Guess what, the belt on since 2010 decided to let go. Of course being the good 'vair owner I had a belt, special bent wrench and lever to change it in 5 minutes. Happy it didn't do that 2 weeks ago on the Somernights Cruise trip!

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs

Attachments:
Current Page: 169 of 171

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.