home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 168 of 171
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: Leon ()
Date: August 04, 2017 10:57AM

Still taking stock of the two cars I picked up, the '66 110 is seized and apparently has been since the early 80's. The 140 in the '65 Corsa however wasn't, in fact I'm fairly certain it was rebuilt shortly before being parked in '85.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: August 05, 2017 12:25PM

Rolled my car back up, on its side, on my tilt up rotissurie, to mock up the shifter rod, support rod, and transmission support bracket. You see...the car had a '66 trans in it, and i am now going with a 64/65 FC 4 speed. I have read, here and there, about the difference in the length of the shift rod support. Not finding definitive answers, Mike Stillwell suggested i do a physical mock up of my parts. So...today, i finally got around to it. Seems the 66 car 4-speed and the 64/65 FC 4-speed, have things in common...or at least, my parts do. I did swap to a 65 trans support bracket, and my engine crossmember was centered, and both were snug on their respective bolts. The shift rod support, lined up in the center of adjustment on the 65 trans support. Maybe the PO did sometging wierd, and i didnt even catch it, before i took everything apart. Oh well...seems all will work...for now.

-m

P.S. KEEP UP ON YOUR PROJECTS!!!! As i was tilting my car up, a FREAKING BAT flew out of the healiner insulation, still attached to celing of car. AAAGGGHHHH!!!

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Attachments:

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: August 11, 2017 08:13PM

Digging for parts in a friends parts shed in the 95 degree heat a few weeks ago, I forgot that the clutch rod is different early to late. Got the powertrain back in my '64 the other day and went to connect the clutch and hmmm....
Luckily I had an early one and got it swapped in without much trouble.

Date: August 13, 2017 04:44PM

Finished getting my '64 back together after its reversion back to the 4-Speed that it belongs with. It has a really strong 140 that was just smothered behind the PG it had for a while. Three speed straight shaft shifter makes for a lot of fun shifting gears.

Posted by: MrLakewood ()
Date: August 14, 2017 04:49PM

Some new amber bulbs...

Attachments:

Posted by: RonnieG ()
Date: August 21, 2017 09:01AM

Bought an AM radio on ebay for $45. Tunes soon!

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: August 28, 2017 03:58AM

Painted floors on my new convertible.

Attachments:

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: August 28, 2017 05:35AM

got my Robson spring loaded idler on yesterday and also went about starting the suspension rebuild the Corsa has been needing

I am doing the rear suspension in the car and pulling the front springs int he car, then removing the entire crossmember to ease in the disassembly of everything

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: Leon ()
Date: August 29, 2017 10:33AM

Drove it to work today, really enjoying the cooler weather smoking smiley

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Attachments:
Posted by: Whale460 ()
Date: September 01, 2017 02:34PM

Took The Whale to Brian Head Utah for a little camping, and to earn some cabbage.
Nice and cool at this altitude, and pretty girls just seem to jump in while I'm not looking.The FC Powerglide and 3.55 diff from Jeff at California Corvairs worked flawlessly with the 3.0 EFI, from Mesquite at 1780 feet elevation to about 11,000 feet at the top of the hill.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 01, 2017 02:39PM

Glad you are having some "COOL" fun!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 02, 2017 09:16PM

Decided that it was time to replace the lower ball joints on my '64 Spyder. Started by taking the sway bar off a couple of years ago, and that was as far as I got. Stopped driving it when the fuel pump return tee started leaking, and I got that taken care of today also. Had to remove the lower control arm to press out the aftermarket ball joint, since it was easier than trying to beat it into submission. A few minutes with the press, and the old one was out, and the new one in. Putting everything back together on that side went smoothly. Now, I have to get up the ambition to do the other side, and hope that I either find the missing hardware for the sway bar, or someone on this site responds to my parts request. Hope to have everything done in time for the Clarks Corvair Show in Shelburne Falls MA on Saturday, September 16th.

Posted by: DRCORVAIR ()
Date: September 05, 2017 10:09AM

Ahh, Labor Day weekend- Did some paint stripping w/ my new CP DA- works well but what an air hog. Glass filled some welded area and started fixing the lower corner cowls. First pic is as found after sanding, second is after first round on the sandbag. Last is of both corners- I don't think either one has the lower edge profile correct. Who has a pic of an un-molested one I can see?

Also started her up since I remembered it has been almost a year- primed the oil pump, gas in the carbs and off she went, no smoke no problem, whew!

63 Greenbrier 4 spd from Tuscon under restoration
65 500 140 x 4 spd waiting on resto but driveable
95 Miata M Edition- Merlot w/ BBS
09 SAAB Aero Combi 2.8T, 300 HP, 6 Spd, AWD
06 RAV4 V6
11 Hyundai Elantra Wagon (Daughter's new ride)
62 15' Serro Scotty Sportsman Silverside
63 13' Serro Scotty Sportsman Gaucho
68 15' Serro Scotty HiLander
OMG I'm Nucking Futz

Posted by: DRCORVAIR ()
Date: September 05, 2017 10:33AM

Can folks see these pics or just the Photobucket Ransom?

63 Greenbrier 4 spd from Tuscon under restoration
65 500 140 x 4 spd waiting on resto but driveable
95 Miata M Edition- Merlot w/ BBS
09 SAAB Aero Combi 2.8T, 300 HP, 6 Spd, AWD
06 RAV4 V6
11 Hyundai Elantra Wagon (Daughter's new ride)
62 15' Serro Scotty Sportsman Silverside
63 13' Serro Scotty Sportsman Gaucho
68 15' Serro Scotty HiLander
OMG I'm Nucking Futz

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 05, 2017 10:41AM

I see them...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 05, 2017 07:45PM

Removed the top from my '64 140 Convertible. Top was long in the tooth and the sides were fraying and had some nicks. I ordered the top along with the parts when I was converting it back to a 4 speed. Have to hurry before the weather turns cool. Weatherstrips were rougher then I thought or hoped, and no insulation in the well. So both are on order. Decided the pads should go too. Did my '64 spyder last year, and my '63 turbo year before that. Not the biggest fan of doing convertible tops, but I have done enough at this point I can hold my own against most shops.

Posted by: Jamison82 ()
Date: September 07, 2017 04:05PM

Installed a complete set of new rocker arms on the rebuilt motor. It is running much better now. Just took a test drive.

Jamison
1965 Corsa Convertible - Daily Driver
Glendale, CA

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: September 07, 2017 04:49PM

Nice looking car Jamison...glad it's running good.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: yodman ()
Date: September 08, 2017 05:35AM

I'll be tearing down my heads today for new pushrod tube seals, valve cover gaskets, and valve adjustment of course.

Cleaning and painting the tubes and heat painting them entirely, as I have the gas heater in my car. No reason I shouldn't be able to do that, right?

I have a Corvair friend who will be coming out tomorrow early afternoon to help me knock the work out.

Here's hoping I can save all my oil as it's pretty much brand new!

Date: September 12, 2017 06:18AM

I beginn zu restor a 1966 Corvair from my friend at switzerland. Myself I have in teh time over 10 years in the free time a 1960 Corvair, best greetings from Austria - Tirol Ferdi46

Current Page: 168 of 171

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.