home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 165 of 168
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: hydroman ()
Date: June 02, 2017 06:24PM

Received steering wheel today. Didn't realized when I placed the order, it was for 67 not 68. Now to decide what to do.

Bob Burrell
1968 Monza Convertible
140 PG
Yuba City, Ca

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: June 02, 2017 08:06PM

My '61 Lakewood didn't want to start after a long storage. Would start but barely run. Gave me a good scare as it's engine had only a few hundred miles on it. Russmcd helped me tow it home Monday. After some poking and prodding today I cleaned the points and all is well. The points were cruddy even though they were new with the engine. Think it's time for one of Seth's distributors.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: June 03, 2017 02:56PM

Worked on my 65 Corsa today. Pulled the winter tarp off of it and got the front brakes arced (by hand) so they stopped pulling. Then I put the wheels back on it, been up on stands. Adjusted the steering box to remove excess play. Took it for a short shakedown drive without much problem. I have not driven it all winter and compared to the new car it seems like a death trap. Drum brakes are not good, steering is wayward at best and the suspension seems like it is barely keeping all four wheels down. Got it up to 70 MPH, which felt like 120. I have mentally added a resto/repair of this car to my list of things to do, one day. Front disc brakes are high on the list. I had hoped to campaign it in AutoX this season, just for fun, but I am more worried about driving to the track than the event. Freeway speeds sound downright scary! Took a razor blade to the rolled on paint and found the original Gold color under it. Maybe a scrape or sand one day too. Can't look worse than the mud colored junk on there now. Still, a 65 Corsa is a desirable car so I'll work with it.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: PineTone ()
Date: June 03, 2017 06:40PM

For the first time in nearly 3 years, dropped the engine in my '61 GB. Having never dropped the engine without my family friend/Corvair tech, we (me, girlfriend, other friend) took our sweet time, consulted a manual or two, and eventually brought the thing down with no injury to the engine or ourselves. Schedules prevented completing the next step (swapping out the differential) but we will get on that tomorrow afternoon.

The diff swap looks fairly straightforward - hopefully the same is true for putting the engine back!

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: June 03, 2017 07:13PM

Now that my wagon is running happily again, I was able to get out early this morning and install the inner tunnel cover that it hasn't had after I replaced its floor. Then I installed a new speedometer cable. Now I can install its new carpet.

Posted by: 1965Monza ()
Date: June 04, 2017 10:55AM

Just drove her to work!hot smiley

1965 Monza Convertible
Cheyenne WY

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible
2005 Mustang Screaming Yellow
2005 Mustang Performance White
2006 F250 Super Duty 6.0

Attachments:
Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: June 04, 2017 06:25PM

Took my 67 autocross car to a local club weekend event in Roseburg, OR. Did okay all things considered; 7 cars in class, all V8 pony cars, was 3rd on Saturday and 4th on Sunday. Saturday's course was lots of turns, today was a HP course. It's tough to compete with a couple of the guys, one has a Saleen Mustang and the other is a 2011 GT Mustang with a 4 cam 32 valve motor, he is very quick. I think I need a turbo motor cool smileysmileys with beer

Attachments:
Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: June 08, 2017 09:52AM

Worked on 66 Corsa today.Tightened screws on turbo carb reset timing and idle.Runs like a top now! Time to get it out of garage wash it up and drive it to see how it does after sitting since November.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: June 08, 2017 04:12PM

Lubricated my speedometer cable, needle nice and stable now.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: PineTone ()
Date: June 08, 2017 10:00PM

Well, the diff install went quite smoothly. After digging through the muck and grime of 10,000+ miles, we found the bolts to free the old diff from the powertrain and gave the engine and transmission a nice (and long overdue) clean. The new diff slid right on and looks amazing (great work, Marty!). Looking forward to pumping a few quarts of gear oil in there. While cleaning the engine, I opened up the oil cooler hatch for the first time ever and gave that a wipedown. Also had a look at my aged drivebelt - installed in 2014 and has been rolling ever since - and noticed a slight crack going about halfway. Threw that off and slapped another one on. Good thing I always carry two!

Now that the big job is done, it's time to look to the install. Ordered a few parts from Clark's on Monday, and they're due to arrive here in Oregon tomorrow. We're talking a PG pan gasket, an accelerator boot, graphite exhaust packings, muffler strap, U-joint, and a few engine to body seals. Really excited for these components. The GB will be humming along stronger than it ever has!

I've got a few photos from the project on my Instagram: [www.instagram.com]

Posted by: 66Monza140 ()
Date: June 09, 2017 08:49AM

Last night went to drive the car before the front end alignment on Friday.
Turned key=nothing, not even a click.
Battery good, power to the starter, fuses all good.
Found starter solenoid junked. Pulled the starter as it was kinda slow and noisy anyways, and popped in a spare I had on the shelf.
Works like a charm now.
So this morning I get up and get ready to head to the appt. Start the car, one lifter clattering like crazy (never done that before?). Must've drained off when I had the one side jacked up changing the starter out.
Got the alignment done, wow what a difference! Tracks straight, holds the corners better, alot more fun to drivethumbs up

"Give'r hell 'til you see God, then back'er down a notch"

'66 Monza 140 4 sp w/A/C...
Western VT

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: June 10, 2017 06:20AM

Gave the rims a little shine. Hot flash haze to amaze. Picked it up at a car show years ago. Easy...

Will
Northern California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 06:25AM by Chilly Willy.

Attachments:
Posted by: Brian Hughes ()
Date: June 10, 2017 07:28AM

Gearing up to install the frame on my EM! Finally have it back from the powder shop!!

Attachments:
Posted by: Cfred ()
Date: June 10, 2017 11:55AM

Heard clunking rotation sound on the way to FLAPS. Found two axle studs broken off at the flange. Other two lug nuts and studs tight. Ordered and installed all new studs on rear axles.

Set timing, balanced the carbs. still pings, even with octane booster and timing at 8. all carboned up ?? Seafoam next...

Fred
Palm Desert, CA

61 Lakewood with 64 front & rear suspension
62 Monza Wagon

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 10, 2017 12:03PM

Try the Seafoam... then if it'snot running super hot.... check a spark plug? You may be running lean..

AND try running with the VA's hose off and plugged.... report back.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: June 11, 2017 10:29PM

Worked on stuff for 3800SC project. Over the last week, got rotors and calipers in place, brake lines mounted. Ordered roll of the copper/nickel brake line. Got CV joints/axles figured out, started assembling one of them.
- and drove my current, tired incarnation some more!

Jay Maechtlen
El Monte, Ca
Yes, it started out in life as a 61 2door.
It has a custom fiberglass skin, and a transverse 3.8 Buick.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: June 15, 2017 05:44PM

Fired up the 63 today after a long winters 8 month nap. A little clatter from the lifters that cleared up in a few minutes and we were off for a drive. Will clean it up tomorrow for a out of town cruise in. Life is good.

Posted by: MrLakewood ()
Date: June 16, 2017 08:02AM

So today, I pick up my factory 13x7 wheels. I had the old tires removed and had them trued and repaired for any out of round issues. Next, they get sand blasted and painted the matching color to my wagon. My rear hinge covers will be painted to match at the same time.

I am having all of the remaining interior metal parts blasted and powder coated. Time to tear down the seats to the frames and get them ready for new seat covers and foam.

smileys with beer

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: June 16, 2017 11:43AM

Getting the brakes put together and getting closer to driving the 65 again.

Gregb

61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Attachments:
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: June 20, 2017 02:22PM

Well, I finally got my 65 Corsa titled and registered in Oregon. Cost $200 for the pleasure and all I got was a pair of license plates and some paper. Now I can drive it on the streets legally. All I have to do now is make it safe and sound.

Adjusted the steering box as well. It is as tight as I dare make it and I still don't get the correct turning forces the manual calls for. I guess that means a rebuild or a new FR box. At that point, why not rebuild the whole front end? And put a nice new fuel tank in while the front end is out? Heck, I may upgrade to front disc brakes! Uh-oh, I hear my wife coming, got to sneak away!

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Current Page: 165 of 168

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.