home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 164 of 167
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: May 15, 2017 03:00PM

Still recovering from the nasty head cold, but did get engine and transaxle mated back together and back in the car Sunday afternoon. Almost everything is back in place. Have to replace the small tunnel pan and reinstall the exhaust system that I have modded a bit again to make the pipe protrude through the "turbo cut-out" more in the center. Then I can put it back on the floor.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: May 15, 2017 08:25PM

Haven't had time to work on any of the cars in a long while. Busy setting up a new house that will accommodate more space for the cars though! Took a short break from housework today for some car time. After work I Went and worked at finishing the disk brake install on my sisters 66 500 four door. This is the fourth setup I have done, but there always seem to be minor quirks. Got all but the new lines finished. Then my daily driver turbo has been getting really hard to start and running rich. I figured accelerator pump. Got it apart and it looked ok, but I swapped it anyway. Would have been a quick job but I dropped the accelerator link down the black hole of doom by HB. Half an hour of searching I found it. This engine is four years old on a complete rebuild, amazing how much crap accumulates down there on a daily driven car.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: May 15, 2017 11:04PM

I finally got everything off my 66. It is just the metal body now so the stripping can begin in earnest. I have also been working on refurbishing the many parts I have bagged up. I find it therapeutic to clean, bead blast and paint the parts. Then they go back in their marked bags to await assembly. The rear glass was a bear, put in with gallons of sticky urethane. Once out, I could see all the rust under it that a PO tried to fix. Maybe he took Dave’s advice and just dipped the how rear section in urethane. Once I can post pictures again, I'll update my thread in more detail.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: May 19, 2017 07:28PM

Got the exhaust system reinstalled while changing the oil on my 2004 Saturn Ion DD. Turned on electric fuel pump and checked for leaks. I had none until I started it, and as I was trying to balance the carbs, noticed a lot of gas in the driver's side secondary. Shut it down and pulled it off, removing top cover revealed that the ball bearing "needle and seat" had a sticky spot in it just before it closed fully so it would close sometimes, and not others, Luckily had another one handy and replaced, re-set float level. Never had one of the ball bearing needle and seats do that before.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: 66Monza140 ()
Date: May 21, 2017 05:57PM

Finally got around to pulling the new sending unit out of the gas tank. It was an all new "tank kit" installed late last year.
Thought the fuel gauge was bad, did some tests and some reading.
Got the gas level down where I had enough containers to empty it into, pulled the unit, Ohmed it out (worked fine) and swapped the float from forward to rear (as noted here).
Got the fiddly little sealing ring to seat on the first try, add fuel and whaddaya know, gas gauge worksthumbs up.
Now to get a speedo with a working odometer and I could actually calculate mileage and range.

"Give'r hell 'til you see God, then back'er down a notch"

'66 Monza 140 4 sp w/A/C...
Western VT

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 21, 2017 06:32PM

When you get the Speedo... remember to measure your front left tire

Stock is 810 Rev per mile? 700-13's

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: May 21, 2017 06:50PM

Not working on a car but a bummer... Was moving stuff in storage. A late model coupe back window I had stored exploded on me when I bumped it. Think it had pre existing damage. Rather exciting.

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: May 21, 2017 06:54PM

Stig-

I did the same thing years ago, hit the glass just right on the edge and "POW" a million little pieces. Tempered glass does that, no pre existing damage needed smiling smiley

Marty Scarr

Posted by: SpyderFan ()
Date: May 22, 2017 03:59PM

I'm a massive fan of very clean engine; like this one. Just looks beautiful in my eyes.

[chevroletcorvairspyder.com]

Posted by: stiffneck ()
Date: May 22, 2017 05:29PM

Pulled the starter/solenoid on my 66 Sunday with my 15 yr old son. It was his birthday and he wanted to get the corvair starting every time we turn the key.

The solenoid had stopped working every time. I got stuck at the store with groceries in the trunk. No tools... nothing. My son watched as I took off a key from the key ring... reached under the car and felt for the + battery and smaller post. got the key to touch both... bounced it around a couple times and was able to start the car. My son Max looks at me and said...

Dad.... that was Bad Ass.

Anyway we pulled the starter and took it to Broadway Auto Electric in Lemon Grove-San Diego. $120 bucks later we have a rebuilt solenoid/starter. They made quick work of it as I just dropped it off this morning and it was done by noon.

My son and I made quick work of installing said starter. No more crawling under the corvair... at least for the starter!

Jon

1963 VW Ragtop Bug 40hp
1964 Corvair 900 Vert 140hp
1966 Corvair 4-door 110hp

Attachments:
Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: May 24, 2017 05:53PM

May finally have the Lakewood going. Traded the Pert II to a "Hot-Spark" system. Car started right up. Set the timing and will finally get to give it a test drive Sunday. Been having an issue for a while and hoping this fixes it. Changing the Pert II and coil did not fix the issue.

Anyway, finally something positive... Need it running for Independence MO! smiling smiley

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: May 25, 2017 05:37AM

I got a new fuel line bent entering the engine compartment since I flipped the 140 carb lines. Found a few leaks when I fired up the electric pump too...

Also finished up the installation of Seth's dizzy. man. The car starts so much better and that was with like 26 degrees of timing! Looks like I was one tooth off when I stabbed it in. I'll get that polished off tonight.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: ayrhead ()
Date: May 25, 2017 12:09PM

I gave mine a nice hand wash and wax. Getting the Rampy ready for some cruise nights etc...

1962 Corvair Rampside Pickup 110 HP Automatic
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible 110HP Automatic
1977 CB750A Hondamatic ( 2 speed Automatic Shifting Motorcycle )

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: May 25, 2017 08:28PM

Fished installing all the engine tin on my Corsa and put the perimeter seal on. It's ready to go back in the car and hope to have that done on the weekend. Had all of the tin powder coated chassis black and it looks spectacular.

Gregb

61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: briand ()
Date: May 25, 2017 09:43PM

My wife bought me Portland 1750 PSI pressure washer from Lowes for our 22 anniversary last weekend and tried it out this evening on the Ratty 63. Did half the engine to see how it would handle the grime and then the compartment and even to see if it would clean the neglected vinyl top..some underneath too. I have to say I'm impressed with the way it worked. still trying to figure out picture uploads (wife usually helps...and shes asleep)

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: May 26, 2017 05:32AM

Well, got the dizzy time correctly after bumping it back one tooth. 16-17 degrees at idle made it idle a little low. I might bump it up just a bit due to the cam that's in the car.

got the engine compartment all back together and tried to take it for a spin. Made it one block and the engine all but ran away! wont idle below 3000 rpm!

I am thinking it a vacuum leak somewhere, just confused because it was fine until there was load placed on it.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: CorvaiRAT ()
Date: May 26, 2017 06:23AM

Trying to put brass shavings back together on my v8 tranny.. synchro keys on 3-4 were gone and brass is just shredded..main shaft end all chewed up. Its good to have a brother who owns a machine shop!

Attachments:
Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: May 26, 2017 07:51AM

Being that the end of the output shaft is ground up it will need to be repaired or replaced. You also need to check the inside of the input shaft to see what that looks like. My guess, it'll look the same.

Posted by: CorvaiRAT ()
Date: May 27, 2017 07:57PM

Surprisingly the input gear is not chewed up. And yes it's getting repaired now.

Date: May 30, 2017 02:40PM

Re-replaced the first Quartz movement clock with one that: keeps good time and: the adjustment knob works. Clark's has excellent customer service. Sent a core primary carb and my original clock and the first rebuilt clock back today; trying to decide what to spend the core credit on. smoking smiley I want all new door panels, but I don't have that much credit...
Also re-adjusted one of the RP carb linkages a bit more on the driver's side, didn't always want to drop back to the proper idle speed, will check it out on the road soon.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Current Page: 164 of 167

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.