home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 163 of 167
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: April 27, 2017 07:51PM

More like... what did you do to your corvair this ñast month!

1965 Corsa 180hp Coupe:

Replaced Stock 180 turbo charger with a 180/150 hybrid, including 64 exhaust scroll. Rear engine mount, transmission mounts, shift coupler and new coupler pin.
Valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, rear housing, oil pump, alternator adaptor, bell housing and blower cover gaakets. Both main seals, oil cooler and PCV seals.
Spark plugs, points plate, condensor and rotor (all NOS)
Installed missing perimiter seal, door and roof raul seals.
Re-dyed the seat belts and added deluxe buckles with new Fisher carrige emblems. Cleaned and repaied one of the retractors and replaced a missing one.
New exhaust gaskets and crossover gaskets. Installed a GM forway flasher unit. Changed put crappy iron pilot bushing, throw out bearing and installed bolted flywheel.
Cleaned the rust off the bumpers and cleaned up the engine compartment a little.

Marco Padilla - Realtor BRE#01944189

Century 21 Crest
1501 West Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91506
213-272-3239 Cell

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 27, 2017 08:59PM

Mr. Detail ..... now back to work on the Rampy!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: April 28, 2017 06:33PM

Speedi sleeve for harmonic balancer, not flywheel end of crank. sad smiley Searching this forum for part number of flywheel end speedi sleeve. Installed new bellhousing main seal with a tiny amount of RTV black. Used copper forma a gasket for bellhousing to block gasket on bellhousing side only and set in place. That's when I found the speed sleeve was wrong, so I set it aside hoping for no damage while I find the right sleeve. Was hoping to have engine and transaxle back in by end of weekend, hope is dwindling for that date.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: April 28, 2017 06:52PM

Greg!! in our FAQ's under "Engine"!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 28, 2017 07:00PM

Found it, now need to locate one. National 99303 or SKF 99048 but maybe Eugene service parts has one in stock locally, I'll find out tomorrow. Earliest is Tiuesday if nobody open tomorrow has one.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: April 28, 2017 08:44PM

O'Reilly's stocked mine. Both ends.

Date: April 30, 2017 08:12PM

My local Oreilley's didn't carry the one I needed, I did not research the other one. Did other stuff instead. Re-checked float level in all 4 carbs, found that I had set 3 of the 4 at 1" instead of 1 1/16, corrected. Verified jet values in each carb, 48s in secondaries and found I had a 51 in one primary and a 52 in the other. D'oH! I need another 51, hoping someone here in town from the club has one cause I can't really road trip while on call until May 22. Cleaned up the venturi cluster bases and used new gaskets to reinstall. All but 1 back on, and I used a spare carb as a mock-up to set up Roger's excellent 65 140 linkage system. I still have to balance them properly. Instructions were excellent, had one that had a tight spot and following the instructions was able to fix that easily. No stock air cleaners so no clearance issues. All carbs open up now as they should visually and without binding. thumbs up Pulled my harmonic balancer off and replaced the seal and put some high temp silicone sealer in that keyway as it might have been a bit leaky too. reinstalled balancer. Got the new main seal installed in the bell housing and set aside for after I get the speedi-sleeve probably Tuesday.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: geomuck ()
Date: May 02, 2017 04:27PM

As I’m sure you all already know, many LM Corvairs have padded dashes, and those dashes are subject to the ravages of time. When I bought my Corvair back in 2013, the dash pad was already cracked and... unpleasant to the eye.

photo IMG_20160723_162029_zpsokaeqnnb.png

photo FullSizeRender_zpskkb7na2v.jpg

In the summer of 2016, I finally got around to removing it and shipping it off for repair. I used [www.justdashes.com], out of Van Nuys, California. The process is: you remove your existing dash, mail it to them, they send you an estimate to repair it, you pay them, and they repair it and mail it back.

While it wasn’t what you’d call cheap ($657!), I’m very pleased with the finished product. Pictures are at the bottom of this thread.

Re-installation was straightforward. There are four thread-cutting nuts that hold the dash pad in place. Getting the nuts off is easy; getting to the nuts is another matter. I had to remove:

* the cardboard glove box (destroying it in the process)
* the defroster vent (destroying the cardboard vent-guides in the process)
* the radio
* the ashtray
* the instrument cluster

Since I had everything removed, I thoroughly cleaned everything, removing (presumably) 50 years of dirt from the under dash area. Additionally, while waiting for the dash to be repaired and shipped (which took a couple of weeks), I disassembled and cleaned/polished the instrument cluster, and replaced all of the bulbs since a couple were burned out. I polished both the insides and outsides of the gauge lenses with Meguire’s plastic cleaner followed by their plastic polish (side note: I’ve had these bottles of cleaner/polish since owning my first car: a 1969 Chevy Nova!) I also tidied up the wiring, using plastic wire loom liberally (I neglected to take pictures, but I'm pleased with how buttoned-up it all looks, even though no one will probably ever see it besides me).

I ordered new glove box cardboard and new defroster cardboard sleeves from Clark’s back when I was disassembling everything. The dash came back in October, and I installed it in the car back in November-ish. Today, I finally got around to putting everything else back together.

Here’s something that I learned: don’t leave your car disassembled for too long. Inertia (or lack thereof) is tough to overcome. It was disheartening to see the Corvair disassembled all winter, with parts and tools sprinkled about. I began to feel like I’d never find the time nor inclination to button it back up, and as more and more time passed, I feared that I’d forgotten how everything went back together, and figuring it all out again became a daunting mental task. Once underway, however, it wasn’t nearly as challenging as I’d built it up to be in my mind since November.

To paraphrase Dory: just keep wrenching!

And: I learned a couple of new Corvair things today. I learned how to remove the ignition switch cylinder so that I could get the defroster tube and the radio back in easily (thanks Junkman! [corvaircenter.com]); and I discovered that there’s a glove box light and passenger’s side footwell light that had never had bulbs installed (fixed now!).

All in all — a productive day on many levels: things installed, things fixed, things cleaned.

Thanks for reading, and continued thanks for the inspiration that this forum provides.

George

photo IMG_20170502_161802_zpsnqd5hxcz.jpg

photo IMG_20170502_161749_zpspwae4gvq.jpg

photo IMG_20170502_161829_zpslmulmx9i.jpg

photo IMG_20170502_161817_zpszy4bpqtx.jpg

George Murnock
1967 Corvair Monza convertible 140/4, owned since August 2013
Near Boulder, Colorado

Date: May 02, 2017 07:04PM

Does look nice!!

Date: May 02, 2017 09:36PM

Good looking dash restore!
Today I didn't do much other than get a line on a #51 jet locally, and I went out and checked level "one more time" on the carb I still have apart, and did a tiny bit more tweaking to it. I then put it on it's base with just a couple of screws and tested the floats for binding by blowing in the fuel inlet and turning the carb from sideways to level. this makes gravity pull the float down...or did it? Not this time. For some reason the helper spring wasn't letting it drop like it should and full air flow was not achieved. I took it apart several times and when I put the spring back in, the stickiness came back. I desperately looked for another helper spring and inside a box with some pieces of a secondary carb Chet sent me some time ago was another spring. Not expecting success, but it worked like a champ. The newer spring must be slightly different diameter or something. Thanks Chet!
PLayed with the carb linkage supplied by Roger some more too. Found that there was one jam nut I had loosened due to a tiny bit of stickiness that I had not fully re-tightened, and it turned backwards compared to most of them so it took me a minute to figure that out.
Speedi-sleeve arrives tomorrow, should get jet tomorrow too.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: May 04, 2017 12:05PM

Got my #51 jet installed and the passenger side primary carb installed. Minor differences meant tweaking the Heim joint linkage a tiny bit but still looks fab. Have to trim the speedi sleeve appropriately, and I have some trepidation about making it good and not then damaging the main seal upon bell housing installation.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: May 10, 2017 02:27PM

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 10, 2017 06:21PM

Looked at all of mine today. Had to concentrate on getting tree cleaned up.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: May 10, 2017 06:25PM

Drove my '67 to breakfast and back, and then whacked Weeds until my arms gave out!

Posted by: vwbusman66 ()
Date: May 10, 2017 06:41PM

I figured out why there was a slow drip from the oil pan and resolved it. My haste getting the engine running a few months ago resulted in me putting the wrong bolt in the drain plug hole.

I drained the oil, dropped the pan, de-greased the outside, de-sludged the inside, and installed a new gasket. I chased the threads in the pan and it's now leak free! I also installed a new oil filter. And tightened a loose fuel line fitting.

-------------
James Keller
Kingsville, MD (21087)
Currently Corvair-less but on the hunt

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: May 11, 2017 10:07AM

Getting back to trim again, after spending the last four days working on the farm to get back ahead of the weeds and grass growth. It's raining again, so nothing new to do there.
* Got the inserts from Clark's to put the trim back on. Will fit the NOS wheel well trim.
* Will pick up the latest batch of parts I've had powdercoated and get them to the engine builder before the weekend.
* Will also pick up the straight and clean oil pan and other steel parts I've had blasted clean of surface rust, get them primed and painted with the appropriate factory paint.
* Will be checking over the four rebuilt carburetors and linkage, in anticipation of the motor being finished and the drivetrain reinstalled.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 11, 2017 09:15PM

After several days of not feeling well at all I finally got to trimming the speedi-sleeve. I masked everything over and got to it. Did the big cut with the cutting wheel and smoothed it over with the emery wheel and a little touch of a fine file. I cleaned everything up and pulled the oil pan off. filled the lip of the seal with grease and applied a tiny bit to the sleeve. Still, the spring popped out of the seal but I got it back in. Got the bell housing back on hopefully without damaging the new seal. Thread sealer on all bell housing to block bolts, and the flywheel attaching bolts. Got the disk and pressure plate aligned and torqued down. Cleaned the silicone off the block side of the oil pan mounting area, and mostly got the pan cleaned up. Need more cleaner before putting the pan and gasket on.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: Skizz ()
Date: May 13, 2017 09:24AM

Installed a new fuel pump in my 64..

64 Thundebird
66 Chevelle Malibu
64 Monza Vert
64 Spyder Vert
94 F150
2013 Hyundai Veloster
 photo blitz_zpsf2383a38.jpg

Eastern NC

Posted by: PineTone ()
Date: May 14, 2017 02:47PM

Finally taking care of a gnarly headliner...

Getting underway on other projects too. Got a brand new differential from Marty Scarr awaiting install...much more to come!

Date: May 14, 2017 02:52PM

Makin' headway!!!

Current Page: 163 of 167

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.