home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: s.vellani ()
Date: April 16, 2017 11:26AM

Made the hard call to pull the powertrain for the third time in the 600 miles since the rebuild to address a knocking which is probably a piston slap. My advice is to research your machine shop well before you spend the money.

S. Vellani
65 Monza Convertible 180/4-speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 16, 2017 11:32AM

bummer

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ken ()
Date: April 16, 2017 03:39PM

Installed front seat belts in my 62 Wagon.

Posted by: stiffneck ()
Date: April 17, 2017 08:02AM

S. Vellani.... that's not fun. sad smiley

Haven't done anything to the corvair today but take the kid to school. smiling smiley

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: April 17, 2017 08:47AM

Replaced the 8 year old battery. Got the carbs closer, but while waiting for Roger's linkage kit will pull power pack and address trans diff lube leak.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: TheCommish ()
Date: April 17, 2017 10:08AM

Trying hard to remove my Light switch and Wiper switch from the Dashboard, I'm told push the button, and pull...

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 17, 2017 10:11AM

And Wiggle!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: itskyle ()
Date: April 17, 2017 08:29PM

Again,

It isn't mine, but I swapped out cars so the boy could drive home from scouts in his car.

Kyle

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: April 20, 2017 08:07AM

New brakes and tires. Drive it to work

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Posted by: hydroman ()
Date: April 20, 2017 09:09PM

Received my vent handles today from California Corvair, they look great. I sent to Jeff to have them rechromed. Unfortunately I am not able to put the passenger side on. Previous owner/owners replaced the vent window with the wrong bracket shaft, it has a screw. Anyway, looking for the proper bracket or complete window.

Bob Burrell
1968 Monza Convertible
140 PG
Yuba City, Ca

Posted by: ken ()
Date: April 21, 2017 04:09AM

I am in the process of replacing the brake parts on my 63 Rat Rod Vair . The shoes, cylinders, springs and hoses were tossed .

Date: April 21, 2017 09:41AM

Bought a new set of jack stands so I now have 4. Put the car up and started pulling bits, about 30% of the way to removing the power train. Lots of gear lube coming out of the join between bell housing and diff. Probably will need to replace the clutch disk with less than 1,000 miles on it. angry smiley Think I'll replace the HB seal while I have it out too.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: April 21, 2017 09:54AM

TheCommish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trying hard to remove my Light switch and Wiper
> switch from the Dashboard, I'm told push the
> button, and pull...
--------------------------===============--------------------

Light switch handle release - once you know where the button is, tape a dime on the end of your finger so you can really get a push on that little bugger.
Then push, pull and wiggle, it will come out.

Wiper switch has a small set screw on the knob.

What year,model Corvair are you working on?

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: gerg ()
Date: April 22, 2017 02:07PM

Changed the valve stem seals on the 2-4-6 bank in the Rampy. Hoping the old funky looking Teflon ones were my issue . . .

gerg
Monroe, LA

1965 500 Coupe, 140hp / PG, Brown EFI - work in progress
1962 Rampside, 110Hp, factory 4 speed & 3.89 posi

Current cars and other fun stuff -> [gregblakeney.smugmug.com]

Posted by: c17flyer ()
Date: April 23, 2017 03:19PM

Changed the shocks out yesterday on my Corsa and while the ride is better, Cody Hurley nailed down my squeaks to polyurethane bushings in the suspension, which I did not want so now a supremely squeaky and harsh ride...
Today I went to the Inland Northwest Corvair Club tech and tune and watched Craig Nicol work his magic on my carbs and installed new Delco points, checked the dwell and reset the timing and now it runs like a top! BTW, I was getting 16 mpg before and am now looking forward to doing a recheck and hopefully it'll get closer to 20. I am pleased with today's results. Thanks to Craig and Cody for diagnosing my problems.

John
65 Corsa 140/4 Restomod
Spokane, WA

Date: April 24, 2017 12:53PM

Removed power train, input shaft washer was in place, and the lube remnants in the bottom of the bell housing are much darker than my actual gear lube. I'll replace the seal anyway. I'll remove the flywheel again, I had thorough;y thread sealed the 6 bolts last time I had it out, as 3 were obviously leaking. And, if the diff snout was leaking, I would expect to see lube on the pressure plate and maybe even the clutch disk. They were both dry, thankfully. Will examine the keyway and use the "JB Weld" solution on it, and check for main seal leaks and I have a new main seal and gaskets for both the bell housing and the oil pan. Need to order crank pulley seal, some more carb top gaskets, and graphite manifold to exhaust pipe packings.
I must tame these leaks.
Roger's carb kit and trans pivot kits arrive tomorrow.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: April 24, 2017 07:50PM

I got the flywheel off, and removed the bell housing. Are all 3 bolt holes for the oil pan in the bell housing supposed to extend through? I know the one does but the other two protrude into the 2 lowest bolt holes but do not touch the bell housing to block bolts. The bolts into the block appear to be clean, no oil on the threads.
BUT, I did find 2 flaws in the crank gear flange rotating surface that I could catch a fingernail in. Even after some gentle work with some 400 grit wet or dry, I could not polish them out. I ordered a speedi-sleeve to add to my order I placed after closing east coast time. I got the gasket material cleaned off the block and bell housing.
I also replaced the driver's side vacuum tube and added the compression fittings as the existing tube was a bit beat up and I wasn't confident it would seal properly as it was. Now bot hoses to the balance tube have been replaced with compression fittings.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: April 25, 2017 10:04AM

....And ordered a couple of oil filters and the Corsa fully rebuilt clock with quartz movement. All should arrive late this week. Will be nice to have a reliable accurate clock. Ordered 2 front tires Hankook Optimo 195/70R14s to go with the other 3 that are on the rears and the spare. Now my speedometer will also run close to correctly.
Took big single exhaust system to powder coaters to coat tail pipe in high temp silver, like the look but cheap paint don't last long. Get that back late this week or early next.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: reidmier ()
Date: April 25, 2017 07:50PM

Finally got sick of replacing mechanical fuel pumps and installed an electric one. Now I need to add some rubber to the mount so it doesn't sound like a woodpecker is trapped in the trunk.

Reid M.
HACOA
Vegas Vairs
Washington, UT
65 Monza 110 PG

Date: April 27, 2017 03:55PM

Parts including speedi-sleeve arrive today. Got 2 new 195/70R14 tires, so all 5 are the same size now. And close to stock diameter so my speedometer shall be more accurate.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.