home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: January 25, 2017 06:49PM

I swapped out my original 64 Greenbrier springs for the light duty ones sold by Clark's. In the process I also installed new Gabriel gas shocks and new U-joints. The wheel bearings were just disassembled, cleaned, inspected, reassembled, and greased less than two months ago. I am going to work on the front next. A few pics of my endeavours.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: January 28, 2017 09:18PM

Got the NOS remote control mirror installed properly. Getting the angle of the screw correct was a challenge. Installed both new outside door handles. LH handle had a misaligned bolt hole that required trimming the hold in the car door toget the proper set and angle. Finally got it tightened properly. It as a two-man job, though -- one inside and one out. All told,two hours well spent.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: February 02, 2017 12:20PM

Started the car up with the new carb tops. Checked voltage out of alternator with new "dummy" regulator, looks good. It appears I have a passenger side primary vacuum leak, will investigate carb gaskets. It also seems that the driver's side isn't warming up like the passenger side, the choke is not opening fully, and it misses upon throttle up. Had an issue like this before, but I don't think I've had 2 bad plug wires... yet.. I got one replaced, but not sure I need a second yet, but I can pull out the plugs and see if I have a wet one that isn't firing.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: February 06, 2017 01:03PM

Got the engine out on Sat., and tbis morning, looking it over on the stand, looks like i needed more Permatex2 on the flexplate bolts. Also looks like i need to seal up the keyway area. Any insights???

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 06, 2017 01:10PM

On the end of the keyway... Clean and dab a little JB weld..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: February 08, 2017 08:15AM

Worked on the new air filter for the Stromberg. Aluminum plate cut to shape and matched to carb inlet diameter (thanks to bscarpino). Added some threaded standoffs and eyebolt. Currently using tie wraps in criss-cross fashion but attachment method is still in development.

Ken
'62 Spyder cpe - '63 Monza convertible
Florida

Attachments:

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: February 09, 2017 01:56PM

Got the bumpers of of the Lakewood and to the plater today, thanks to my wife who is off from school the rest of the week.

Also have gotten in parts, Thanks Davemotohead, needed for the steering on the '63. Hopefully in a couple weeks both will be ready for spring car shows, etc!

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: February 09, 2017 02:59PM

I had my rear seat belts restored by ssnake oyl and installed them last weekend.

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Attachments:

Date: February 19, 2017 04:35PM

Since I am waiting for the bumpers to come back from the platers, I decided to start changing out the pitted door handles with the ones I got in Springfield last summer. Got one done relatively easily. Hope the next 3 go as easily! Between the bumpers and the door handles on the Lakewood, the gleam from it in the sunshine should be blinding! smiling smiley

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs

Date: February 19, 2017 06:50PM

While I did nothing to the Corvair, I did make the place I work on it a bit nicer, by finishing hanging the drywall on the ceiling and adding another light fixture. A bit of mud slinging, some primer and paint and it will be well lit in there, finally. Only taken 2+ years since I hung the original 2/3 of the ceiling drywall.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: February 25, 2017 07:11AM

Well, in about 30 minutes leaving for MainStreet Cleveland's Cabin fever cruise with the '63. And an hour ago I learned why you have 2 Corvairs! So you have a battery available to change out when one dies... Was fine 2 weeks ago and I keep it on a battery tender once a month... Oh well. Going to enjoy a drive in a 'vair today!

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs

Date: February 26, 2017 05:18PM

Bought a new battery for the Lakewood after stealing it yesterday and also go all but one of the new (to me) outside door handles on the Lakewood. One more tomorrow night and the bumpers later in the week after the wife pics them up from the plater!

Then some driving finally of the Lakewood. Been sitting too long!

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs

Posted by: joemonza ()
Date: February 26, 2017 05:47PM

Fabricated side panels for my oil cooler.

Joe
Corsa member #034013
Midwest City, Oklahoma
'66 Monza Coupe 140HP 4-speed
4 barrel carb

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: February 26, 2017 06:44PM

Went to my friends and we mounted tires on the new wheels for my '63. Then bolted them on.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 26, 2017 06:45PM

Now that's an improvement we can all see!!! gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: nscrdv ()
Date: March 03, 2017 07:11PM

I cleaned off the engine block code and determined I have "matching numbers" and a 102hp engine in my 62

Nice to have original stuff to work with

Posted by: Ron's '64 ()
Date: March 04, 2017 09:43AM

Finished installing my reupholstered front seats with covers and foam I got from
Clark's Corvair. The materials they sell are top quality. Also removed both bumpers and took them to a shop to get re-chromed. I'll get them back in a month or so. Still need to find the leak in my PG and fix that. Then it should be ready for spring.cool smiley

Date: March 04, 2017 04:39PM

Got the rechromed bumpers on today on the Lakewood. Decided to not install the NOS bumper guards I bought last year, at least for awhile... Can't stand the thought of scratching the freshly rechromed bumpers!

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs

Posted by: nscrdv ()
Date: March 06, 2017 09:35AM

Instrument cluster swap today - will be good to have working fuel gage and odometer, and a non-sticky speedometer.

Also going to upgrade panel lights to LED, I think - don't want to pull this back out... ever.

PS: super filthy in there, no wonder dash was so dim - the bulbs have a solid coating of grime on them,

Attachments:

Date: March 06, 2017 10:31AM

Finished the drywall mud slinging last weekend, sanded to knock off the big chunks, not a professional finish by any stretch of the imagination, but good enough for the garage. Primer/sealer on the new drywall panels and a coat of ceiling paint (goes on pink dries white how odd) and now ready to tackle some lubricant leaks and get the carb issue finally sorted out.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.