home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: Ron's '64 ()
Date: January 11, 2017 07:15PM

Replaced the right side vent window with one from a parts car I have. The pivot post had broken off the old one. Thankfully I didn't have to fiddle with the window - just loosened the chrome casting over the vent window and everything came right out and went back just as easily. Lubed the window tracks while I had access so the window rolls up and down nicely.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KiltedPhoenix ()
Date: January 12, 2017 06:46AM

Kinda a yesterday and today, I wired up a bypass for my purge switch for my gas heater. Purge switch is bad, causing the heater to not fire. I used a 3 wire fog light switch on my dash. Just a temporary fix until I get my replacement purge switch. Would have been done last night but I broke the damn switch connecting the wires. Cheap plastic switch.

I live in a place where even the people rust.

63 700 Sedan - Daily Driver
63 900 Monza Rag top (parts car)
64 Monza Spyder (parts car)

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: January 12, 2017 06:57AM

I wouldn't run it that way for long.

Myself I wouldn't run it at all until you get the part to fix it.

It is a safety which purges excess fuel when you shut off the heater. It will allow the combustion blower to continue to run after you shut off the car or heater to expell fuel left in the heater combustion chamber and cool things down, to avoid unused fuel from exploding or continuing to burn.

It can run up to 2 min after you shut it off. Which is what it is designed to do.

Just my 2 cents!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Date: January 12, 2017 06:59AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 06:20PM by MattNall.

Posted by: guy63 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 07:27AM

Got the rear crossmember hung back into place with new mounts, poly bushings, and tranny mounts. Had time to get one spring and shock back in, and hope to get the other side wrapped up tonight, along with hooking up the brakes. Just waiting for a new e-brake cable (the cross cable going to the brakes) from Clarks, then I can get the power pack back in. I need to get the 'Vair wrapped up so I have enough winter left to pull the engine out of my daughter's MG to change out the clutch and rear seal. Happy Friday!

Guy
63 Spyder Coupe
Medina, MN

Date: January 13, 2017 07:47AM

Lee, I understand the function of the purge switch. I do let the CAB run after I just the car off. Also before I get to my destination I shut the heat off (pulling the HEAT lever fully back) so there is no call for heat. Both pre just an extra step I take until I get the replacement part. Not having function heat is not an option in Maine on a daily driver.

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: January 15, 2017 05:19PM

I took the Greenbrier to the Grocery Outlet to restock the shelves

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Attachments:
Posted by: itskyle ()
Date: January 17, 2017 05:03PM

Again,
not my corvair (it's the boy's)

But,

installed the flux capacitor.
install the disc air freshener
installed a brass positive terminal clamp.
still waiting for winter and salty roads to be over with.

Also, he got a new cover for it. It fits better, has better elastic than the old one.

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: January 17, 2017 06:16PM

I went to Napa and procured 2 new U-joints continuing my ongoing effort to make my Greenbrier a safe and reliable cruiser. Then I tucked it away in the barn sporting its original California black plates,finally approved by the slowest DMVIN the lower 48.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Attachments:

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: January 20, 2017 11:08AM

Got my carb tops back from the powder coaters.smiling smiley Looking good, needed 3 coats to make them shiny and bubble-free. Something about cheap cast parts outgassing while the powder coat bakes... No way these carb tops are cheap cast parts. tongue sticking out smiley
Got all the tape protecting the undersides and holes removed, and gave them a good cleaning out to remove the remaining grit, don't want that sucked into the cylinders.
Realized I couldn't put those nasty dirty screws and fuel inlet nuts back on in their condition, so gave them a cleaning with wire wheel and a coat of silver paint, which I will have to careful not to chip during reinstall. Letting them dry for 24 hours in my heated shed. Then I started reinstalling the linkages for accel pump, carb top gasket and float, with the ball-bearing style "needle and seat".
Need to review float level and float drop specs to make sure I set them up right.
I did notice when I pulled off the passenger side carb tops that the fuel level was lower in that primary than the others, and saw the float was not set up with the proper level so it was running low, will make sure it is right this time. Pictures to come. I had a spare primary and secondary carb top, so the driver's side carbs are still intact with the old non-coated tops. I will install passanger side ones first, then take a pic with 2 old and 2 new, then all 4 new.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: January 20, 2017 04:37PM

Took the flywheel and pressure plate up to Corvair underground to get them redone. Turns out the flywheel may not be rebuildable. But Lon says he'll have a close look at it.
Decided not to buy all-new cylinder bores and pistons. Lon says that re-doing the ones I have should be just fine for my purposes. (I have No plans to hotrod this car. Just want a really nice one with a dependable motor.) But his piston supplier says they won't be around until maybe middle of February. No problem -- that's still within the timeline I would prefer. So cylinders, pistons, new bearings should be along reasonably soon.
Took the last three pieces of motor sheet metal and the motor mounts to the powdercoaters to have soda blasted and done in satin black. The one here locally does really nice work. Also having the fan blasted just to clean it up, but not coated or painted.
Looked more closely at the bumper attachment hardware, and figure I might as well have some of that stuff done too. But later.
Checked on the chrome bits at the shop next door, but the guy says it might be 2-4 weeks. He's had it for six. But no big deal -- I get into this stuff as early as I can, and it's not due for a public runout till July anyway.
Got time.
Put in a smallish bid on a couple of gaskets on eBay. Nothing major. Got most of that stuff already.
Did a quick visual inventory of the parts collected so far. Just offhand can't think of much.
Rex Johnson is going to give me a list of some smallish stuff to order from Clark's. Maybe over the weekend.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: January 20, 2017 04:39PM

Replaced and exhaust gasket. Now my car doesn't sound like a broken Honda

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 20, 2017 05:03PM

Great to hear it was a simple fix!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 20, 2017 05:19PM

Thus time. All the other 7 need it but I can't do it right now. This one was just totally gone, it was the manifold to exhaust pipe flange gasket

Date: January 20, 2017 10:37PM

Put all the new carb tops on my car, wish it went as quick as I could type it. I decided I needed to paint more of the carb linkages and bits so I did them as well. Used new fuel inlet gaskets and the little gasket insides as well as new top gaskets and base gaskets. It was 10 PM when I turned on the electric fuel pump to check for leaks, and I have one. sad smiley Passenger side secondary fuel inlet nut leaks pretty good even with a new gasket. Anything else I can do to try to stem the flow? Also other issue is both primary accelerator pumps do nothing, but the secondaries squirt nicely. Gotta figure that out now too, when it's light.
Broke a secondary linkage clip too, so 3 things to straighten out before I can get them rebalanced. They are pretty though. Pics soon.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: January 21, 2017 10:35AM

Going to get some Permatex Aviation form a gasket #3 as it's recommended for gasoline resistance. This isn't the first time I have had issues with fuel inlet nuts leaking around the threads. I'm warming the garage, it's chilly out there and then I can get busy figuring out why the primary accelerator pumps aren't pumping. I did make sure the discharge needle was in place when I reassembled them. Here's a couple of pics.
Halfway there before I realized I had leak and accel pump problems.

and a close-up.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: January 21, 2017 03:54PM

The 2 primaries that didn't squirt last night do today. confused smiley Ok, I got the Permatex, and will let it sit till tomorrow morning then check again for leaks. Then start it up and re-balance the carbs.
I couldn't put that cross-over linkage or the bellcranks or other attaching hardware back on without some paint too. Only 1 bellcrank left to paint the other side of.

This one with flash.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: guy63 ()
Date: January 23, 2017 06:57AM

My daughter and I got the powerpack mounted back in, and axles, shifter, and e-brake all hooked up before our rechargeable undercar light died. Hopefully we'll have everything wrapped up this week so we can fire it up, then finish up a few odds and ends, then we'll move on to pulling the engine out of her MG to replace the clutch and rear seal. Feeling good about having both cars all sorted out before spring.

Guy
63 Spyder Coupe
Medina, MN

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: January 24, 2017 11:57AM

Started on the front suspension rebuild. Got the upper and lower control arms, as well as the crossmember cleaned and painted over the weekend. Also got upper and lower ball joints installed, as well as the upper control arm shafts and bushing installed. Also installed the bushing on the inboard side of the lower control arm installed. Just waiting on HD springs from clarks then I can install quick ratio steering arms and the disc brake upgade!

Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: gcjohns ()
Date: January 24, 2017 12:32PM

Pulled the radio on my 64 and replaced it with a working one from Pete (thanks!). Access was restricted with AC unit in place so I have some superficial knuckle abrasion from working the antenna plug out and back in. Hopefully I'll get the front parking cable installed in the next few days so the car doesn't need a block up against the tire to keep it from free rolling since it is an automatic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.