Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 10 of 182
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: February 24, 2013 10:22AM

BanaBob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not today, but yesterday (since my previous post
> disappeared
), I bought a trailer to haul my buggy
> around to this shop and to that shop and that
> other shop and to ....

You mean your post on the previous page?
Page 8

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jim ()
Date: February 24, 2013 10:37AM

Fill the tank and drive the hell out of it..

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 24, 2013 10:39AM

I was notified / discovered that the New Engine lid pad...has lessened the
"Bad Smell" of the heater to a large extent! As reported by passengers..... 33f this am.... everyone was toasty.... ggg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: BanaBob ()
Date: February 24, 2013 10:52AM

flamingchariots Wrote:
> BanaBob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not today, but yesterday (since my previous
> post
> > disappeared), I bought a trailer to haul my
> buggy
> > around to this shop and to that shop and that
> > other shop and to ....
>
>
> You mean your post on the previous page?
> Page 8

No sir, it was a post worded almost like the one above. Maybe I'm just getting senile and forgot to send...ggg

Bob Leibold ~~ central Florida

Re:Lost posts??
Date: February 24, 2013 10:58AM

Bob, hit your "<-" back button until you find it... then hit Submit again... but make sure there is no NUMBER in the button.... you'll see it count down if it's there..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Bill Warren ()
Date: February 24, 2013 11:19AM

Pulled my newly acquired/rebuilt 140 engine because the lifters on the right side would not pump up. Very little oil to the heads but good oil pressure. PO said the engine did set for awhile in his shop before he installed the lifters. Dirt Dauber is my new nemesis.

Bill Warren
Decatur, AL
65 Corsa
68 Monza
65 Monza

Attachments:
Date: February 24, 2013 11:26AM

Bummer!

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: February 24, 2013 04:42PM

This should give an indication of the previous condition of the charging system on this '64 vert I mentioned yesterday that I am working on for a friend. Alternator had bad bearings and was attached to a generator mount. Replaced the mount with a correct one for alternator, cut all charging related wiring away and replaced with new soldered connections. Also changed the alternator to a 12SI with a nice new junction block.

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: February 24, 2013 07:02PM

I finished cleaning and repairing the gauges in my spare cluster. When the Wisconsin weather gets warmer I will move the clock to the Monza. The blocking diode seems to work great on the clock (no visible spark at all) - just a nice CLICK every 30 seconds or so. I also soaked the spedometer bushing end in ATF for several days - worked like a charm thumbs up.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Attachments:
Posted by: Wyvern ()
Date: February 25, 2013 07:47PM

Gauges look excellent!

I installed a rotor today.

I hope to do another one tomorrow.

James
'65 Corsa project
"I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair. Stay loose, my friends."

Date: February 25, 2013 07:50PM

Day by day.. step by step.... ggg

Posted by: Scott Kirkman ()
Date: February 25, 2013 08:22PM

I greased the bearings and installed new seals in the front hubs, then installed the hubs on the spindles.

1963 Monza Spyder
Undergoing a ground up restoration
[63monzaspyderrestoration.shutterfly.com]

2012 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Copperopolis, CA

Date: February 25, 2013 09:19PM

MattNall Wrote:
> Day by day.. step by step.... ggg

Seems like some days, I'm half-stepping.

The morning started out okay; I gathered all the parts I needed, found red and purple grease, and the correct size allen wrench socket.

Got the bearing greaser and the grease gun didn't work. Disassembled the grease gun, and found that it needs a couple of o-rings in the trigger. Disassembled one of my brother-in-law's carb kits and found some o-rings. I figure by the time he needs that carb kit and notices that some o-rings are missing, I will have forgotten about it, and I won't have a guilty look on my face, so that works out.

Greased the bearing, installed the oil seal, and installed the rotor. Grabbed the caliper and put the mounting screws in by hand. Grabbed the allen socket, and it no longer had the allen wrench stuck into it. It turns out that the allen screw holding the allen wrench in the socket was loose.

Spent some time looking for that 1" long 3/8" diameter allen wrench that blends in so well with dark corners and other shadows. Finally found it, then spent time looking for an allen wrench that fit the allen screw that holds the allen wrench in the socket. Found that, did that, and used that.

Greased up the pads and put 'em in. Between the purple grease for the pads, and the red grease for the wheel bearings, it was looking pretty festive.

Cleaned up, and before I knew it, 5ive hours had gone by. It's good thing that I don't do this for a living! Most people couldn't take a 15-minute task and make it last most of the day.

James
'65 Corsa project
"I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair. Stay loose, my friends."

Date: February 25, 2013 09:26PM

Yup.. been living that the last 26 mths... meds.... Just blood pressure meds first.... they're gone now..

Now Tranquilizers.... Feel "unsure" most of the time.. constantly re-checking... and screwing up...

Put some brakes on my LM.... done dozens of times.... putting the 2nd side together when I realized I put the new Adjuster springs on the wrong sides...

Date: February 25, 2013 10:27PM

I understand, Matt. I've been on meds for the last 15 years. Time flies when you're not paying attention!

I think I'll skip my meds tomorrow and see how much better I do. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone!

Seriously, I can go half a day without taking them, and I'm going to try that. Thanks for the idea.

James
'65 Corsa project

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: February 25, 2013 10:29PM

you guys are making me look bad! Between the jeep and snowmobiling, i STILL havent gotten around to my convertible...

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa factory turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
66 Monza 95/PG coupe project FOR SALE
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, six Jeep FC 170s, 66 CJ5A, 03 neon, 4 Rokon Trailbreakers, 3 vintage Honda 50cc minibikes, 4 Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: February 26, 2013 08:25AM

Yesterday I went to remove the tin off the engine I plan/hope to use in UV362.
It was the used engine I took out of one of the NY parts cars that I purchased and install the entire drive-train into UV256 and used it from 2009 until last fall.

The PG was pumping ATF into the diff and I wanted to re-seal the engine.

I was not able to get all the tin off at this time.

The top and driver's tin is still on. GGG

5 bolts broke so far. Two or three are in the heads and the rest are part of the tin.

What is still on the engine:

One of the small bolts for the top tin near the bell housing has been replaced with a flat head screw. It will not move. (Will need my driver tool - hit it with a hammer as it turns it)

One 1/2 bolt head on the passenger side front heater tin and one 9/16 bolt head on the top tin on the driver's side, front corner, are frozen and the heads are too small for the sockets to break them loose. Boy I hate rust. GGG

Having two places and tools/equipment at both - it is hard to do some jobs needed.

Because of this and our long winters; I have decided to take the engine to my friends machine shop and have him deal with all the broken bolts. I want to do my best to see if I can get UV362 back on the road in time for the Kalamazoo Convention.

What tricks do you use to break rusted/frozen bolts loose please share.
Most of the time the tricks I have learned worked well; but yesterday I had way too many bolts break off for my liking.

Tony

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: February 26, 2013 12:14PM

Got the hand controls set up and operational in the '64 vert. It's coming along nicely.

Date: February 26, 2013 10:41PM

I looked at the right spindle.

I'm sorry I looked.

James
'65 Corsa project

Date: February 26, 2013 10:47PM

Better now than later... don't you luv ebay buys!!

Current Page: 10 of 182

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.