Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: November 05, 2016 08:23AM

Got the directionals fixed yesterday with some help from this list and drove it (the farthest I ever have) to our NJACE monthly breakfast.Seven Corvairs there including a rampside.
What fun!

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrgordy ()
Date: November 05, 2016 12:18PM

Sitting inside on a beautiful fall day with my right hand in a brace to keep it immobile and less pain than the last two days. Injured it in a car accident in 1970 and when I get too brutal with it it flairs up. The cause was worth it though.

Spent last Saturday, an equally beautiful fall day, working on my two door Lakewood Station Wagon with complete late model suspension and drive train. I am in the process of trimming out the 64 2door coupe body and the 66 rear frame section to ready them for the rotisserie for assembly of the body. About 4 more hours of work to get that done. After the trimming is done it will o on the rotisserie o fit the pieces together and get the wheel base and chassis square and weld it all together. It will be a long month for the wrist to heal.

On an up note I may get time and someone to help me retrieve my third wagon body from a swamp up north. Sunk in to the bumpers from sitting in the mud 15 years but it has many parts, windshield, rear hatch window and good trim for the 2 door project.

I know to some this sounds like a crazy thing to do. It has been in my dreamer since the Corsa Convention in Chicago in 1969. So far all the parts have been left over scraps of projects others hav asked me to haul away. I was cleaning up the yard, dragging things out to scrap and all these parts landed next to each othe onthe driveway at the same time. Tape measure out and it will work so the parts didn't get scrapped.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: November 05, 2016 04:41PM

mrgordy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sitting inside on a beautiful fall day with my
> right hand in a brace to keep it immobile and less
> pain than the last two days. Injured it in a car
> accident in 1970 and when I get too brutal with it
> it flairs up. The cause was worth it though.
>
> Spent last Saturday, an equally beautiful fall
> day, working on my two door Lakewood Station Wagon
> with complete late model suspension and drive
> train. I am in the process of trimming out the 64
> 2door coupe body and the 66 rear frame section to
> ready them for the rotisserie for assembly of the
> body. About 4 more hours of work to get that
> done. After the trimming is done it will o on the
> rotisserie o fit the pieces together and get the
> wheel base and chassis square and weld it all
> together. It will be a long month for the wrist
> to heal.
>
> On an up note I may get time and someone to help
> me retrieve my third wagon body from a swamp up
> north. Sunk in to the bumpers from sitting in the
> mud 15 years but it has many parts, windshield,
> rear hatch window and good trim for the 2 door
> project.
>
> I know to some this sounds like a crazy thing to
> do. It has been in my dreamer since the Corsa
> Convention in Chicago in 1969. So far all the
> parts have been left over scraps of projects
> others hav asked me to haul away. I was cleaning
> up the yard, dragging things out to scrap and all
> these parts landed next to each othe onthe
> driveway at the same time. Tape measure out and
> it will work so the parts didn't get scrapped.

So are you putting the coupe doors on the wagon and filling in where the back door were or just making a shortie? You know picture are a must have.

Posted by: gcjohns ()
Date: November 05, 2016 06:41PM

Used Duplocolor vinyl dye today to change the replacement rear seat for my 64 Convertible from black to white. Turned out pretty well but I am going to need to dye the rear side panels now so they match the rear as the interior is much more cream than the now white rear seat.

Attachments:
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: November 05, 2016 07:12PM

Got the sheet metal motor shrounding back yesterday, all nicely redone in the proper color and finish.
Am working on the bumper brackets. Taking off all the rust to redo those. Also tumbling various fasteners and preparing them to be repainted before I reassemble the car.
Have gone back to the Clark's catalog to order a supply of missing fasteners. Now that I have everything properly disassembled, it's pretty clear what isn't there that should be. All will be there come July.
A couple of resources showed up in the mail this week, and I'm carefully looking at them to ensure that things are correct. Trying to flesh out a list of the order that I plan to put things back together with.
Taking this slowly, piece by piece. No hurry - it's more important that it be correct than it be done. Over the winter and the cold monsoons here in the PNW, I'm not going to be driving it regardless, even if it were done.
Keeping on keeping on.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: November 06, 2016 04:03PM

We completed a little over 400 miles in the Corvair this weekend to attend a very nice show in Hilton Head Island, SC. I also got to test drive a 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S cabriolet. 3.0 liters of twin turbo fun. I have now experienced it and agree - Porsche, there is no substitute.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Attachments:

Posted by: corvairbob ()
Date: November 07, 2016 10:33AM

got the engine back together and it is running on the jack stands today tomorrow it goes back in the car. next week i start the top don't know what path i'm taking but i got to repair the pads and cross bow hold down straps.

Date: November 07, 2016 04:25PM

A busy day today as I picked up a battery to prepare to start my 64 convertible after the car was stored in a barn for over 35 years. Dropped off the rear window to have the zipper replaced at a local marine canvas shop. Disconnected the fuel line from the pump in case there was anything left in the tank. Cranked the engine with a bit of ether but got no spark. Used a bit of emery cloth on the points and then a bit more ether and the engine started up. Next step is repairing the muffler so I can run the car for more than a couple seconds at a time.

Date: November 08, 2016 04:30PM

Got the back window back from the canvas shop. Now I can dye the fabric from blue to white tomorrow before it gets put back in. Exchanged exhaust parts from Autozone (purchased in 2006 for another project) for the parts needed to reconnect the muffler to the exhaust pipe. Found a few ounces of oil in the muffler so I may have some work to do in the future to reduce the blow by. Had to trim the pipe side connecting to the exhaust before the muffler would fit properly but is it in and should work great now.

Posted by: corvairpaddock ()
Date: November 08, 2016 06:39PM

I got a speeding ticket.....again

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 08, 2016 07:10PM

corvairpaddock Wrote:
> I got a speeding ticket.....again
=================================================

This should be in "Daily Pics of you driving your Vair"!!

Remember.... no pic.... didn't happen!! LOL!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2016 07:12PM by MattNall.

Posted by: KiltedPhoenix ()
Date: November 09, 2016 10:21AM

I drove it, got some gas, went to take pictures of another local vair forsale.

BTW, Hello all

I'm "that guy" that flew from Maine to St. Louis to buy, sight unseen, a 63 700 4 door (Penny) and boldly drive it back home to Maine.

I'm new to these even though I've had 2 parts cars for a few years, and still new to working on carb engines.

I live in a place where even the people rust.

63 700 Sedan - Daily Driver
63 900 Monza Rag top (parts car)
64 Monza Spyder (parts car)

Posted by: corvairbob ()
Date: November 12, 2016 10:51AM

put the engine back after repairing the oil leaks and now the top repairs

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: November 12, 2016 06:50PM

Did some work on the replacement motor I'm prepping - 3800 Series II supercharged!

Jay Maechtlen
El Monte, Ca
Yes, it started out in life as a 61 2door.
It has a custom fiberglass skin, and a transverse 3.8 Buick.

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: November 13, 2016 05:22AM

I spent a couple of hours yesterday replacing some turn signal components and fixing an intermittent horn issue. With this job done, today I will be replacing my rear heater hoses and installing the correct tower clamps (thanks Bob!). As much as I miss all the work associated with restoring my Corvair, I still find great enjoyment in refining all of the small things such as making sure I use factory bolts and clamps. The weather has been so nice in SE NC that I have been driving my Corvair every day for the past month or so.

Joe

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: November 13, 2016 05:26PM

Took the 63 to get some things handled that I have run out of time and experience for to Billy at Chair City Corvairs. Hope to go get it in early Dec. He will probably get the Lakewood as I am fairly certain we have some major internal engine issues with it... Guess I know what my Christmas gift will be this year.... confused smiley

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: November 15, 2016 09:00AM

Spectre Wrote:
> We completed a little over 400 miles in the
> Corvair this weekend to attend a very nice show in
> Hilton Head Island, SC. I also got to test drive
> a 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S cabriolet. 3.0
> liters of twin turbo fun. I have now experienced
> it and agree - Porsche, there is no substitute.

Nice shade of yellow! Might look good on my '65 vert?

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: November 16, 2016 11:20AM

Got the entire dash facia out and shipped to Dave Kessler to have it redone. Got the front strip underneath the trunk lid back from the chrome shop. Nicely done. Now just got to figure out what color of blue goes in the front, and what finish of black should go in the grooves. Got a NOS rear air grille aluminum insert from a guy in IN.
The car remains on the jackstands, but the bits and pieces are coming together nicely. When the drivetrain comes back from being overhauled, I can start the reassembly process probably come first of the year or so.

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: November 17, 2016 07:41PM

Cleaned up my Vair today and drove to Knoxville! Started cleaning shop for the Tuna on Saturday.

1964 Monza Coupe
1965 Corsa 140
1967 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Date: November 18, 2016 04:45PM

Big day in bringing my 36 year barn stored 64 Corvair convertible back to life. Nearly finished replacing back window before prepping the engine for first run, if possible. Previously cleaned points to get a sparke. Cranked engine one minute without coil wire connected until oil light turned off. Connected external fuel supply and engine fired right up! Previous owner left a note saying cylinders had been oiled at storage and the engine made lots of blue smoke as it idled for 10 minutes. Had brief gas weep at driver side carb that quickly stopped after a few minutes. Decided to take it around the block and it smoked progressively less over the one mile trek at 35 mph and less (as the car currently has zero brakes including a broken emergency brake cable). Idled an extra 10 minutes before turning off for a half hour while I tried to get a rear brake bleeder to open. Finally got the rear bleeder with lots of PB blaster, tapping and finally some propane heat, only to find out the rear brake line had been blocked off at the master junction under the dash. Owner note did mention only front brakes worked so I will be trying to bleed probably tomorrow. Car restarted with no hesitation when I moved it back into the garage; this time with no smoke. Will pull the plugs tomorrow to see how they fared with all the oil that burned off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.