Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 225 of 225
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: March 28, 2021 05:50AM

Yesterday I took the '65 Monza convertible out of hibernation.
It took a few minutes to start it and I had to resort to a can of starting fluid to accomplish the task. Once it was running, I noted the fuel pump was leaking again but snugging the screws around the top seemed to resolve this issue.

I drove it up the street then to the gas station and topped off the tank.

Once I was back home I replaced the top boot with a new 2nd that I got through Clark's during the winter.

I then got out the new RetroSound radio to install and got a surprise.
As much as these things cost, I was expecting a radio that was ready to install and would fit like the OE radio.

Overall I was disappointed that I had to assemble all the components and the face plate adapter did not fit well in the stock faceplate and required some serious modification and tinkering to make it work acceptably.

I had also purchased the replacement dual front speaker and found that there was no lock washers or lock nuts to keep things from vibrating loose over time so I applied Loctite on the threads. Mounting the speaker also required some tinkering.

In the end, instead of spending an hour to install the new radio and speaker, I spent about five hours which included a trip to the store (with the convertible) to purchase wire terminal ends that I had not anticipated needing to complete the installation.

Once the radio was in the dash and working, I was tired of tinkering so the defroster duct work, ash tray, and the replacement glove box will wait for another day.

Sorry but I didn't take time to document this with photo's so maybe it was a bad dream.confused smiley I hope not because I don't wand to go through that again.eye rolling smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: March 30, 2021 03:28PM

Above I mentioned taking the convertible out of hibernation and tinkering with it some.
After a full day of this, I was tired so I did not get around to disassembling the portable garage.
Sunday evening I got some help from Mother Nature. Monday after work I finished the task.

When I had the car in the garage, I had a couple of 1X4's with eye hooks threaded into them. The tires held the boards in place.
Due to rocky soil, I wasn't going to trust the screw in anchor system to hold things securely in place. I was amazed how well the anchors held.
I ran ratchet straps to the horizontal braces that were about halfway up the side of the garage.
The weight of the car on top of the 1x4's and the straps held the garage in place during the hibernation period and several days of high winds.
It wasn't until the car was out and safely in a better garage space that the temporary garage was vulnerable to the winds Mother Nature was so generous to provide.eye rolling smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2021 03:30PM by Caraholic4life.

Attachments:

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: March 30, 2021 05:09PM

I helped my son rebuild the shifter in his car using the Clark’s kit. It wasn’t simple because the inner shift tube was bent and corroded but we got it done and it shifts incredibly well.
We were helped by a great local shop in Greer SC. They heated and straightened the shaft and wouldn’t take a penny even though we just showed up covered in grime and they were very busy.

The inner shaft still required a lot of sanding, grinding and trial fitting in the new brass bushings. When it finally went through smoothly we were really relieved. We added a new shift coupler, new pin and cotter and new bushings.

Next we used a wire wheel to remove the surface rust from the bottom of the passenger compartment and tunnel pans, then painted them with RustOleum rust converter. There are several areas with more severe rust that will require Por 15.

Although the car is a Monza 140, it has a thermister. The case is XXA a factory replacement. A previous owner put in a Corsa dash but the wire for the thermister is connected to the thermister but hanging cut off outside the lower shroud. Tomorrow we’ll run a jumper wire to the gauge and see if thermister and gauge are working. If so, my son will run a permanent wire to the gauge.

Lots of fun ahead!

Fred Gillam, southern SC coast
Former Corvairs from teens and 20's.
3 65 Corsa 180 convertibles
63 Spyder
66 Monza 110 PG, "Moldo"
65 Corsa 140
Currently helping son with 65 Monza 140 4-spd coupe

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: March 30, 2021 05:24PM

Put in Clark's Ultimate Starter with new starter wiring harness. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes. Should've done it sooner.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Attachments:
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: April 04, 2021 11:00AM

Spent almost 2 hours this morning troubleshooting the inoperative power convertible top on Skyler the DropTop AirVair.

After replacing several fuses (dayum what at awkward fuse holder to access!), unhooking the power to cables at the motor behind the back seat, running the top cables with a drill up and down, I can only conclude that the power top motor has died on me.

Anyone have one for sale??

Attachments:
Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: April 05, 2021 07:17AM

Changed over to a tuned-up spare distributor, for fuel efficiency. While I was working on it, I needed to adjust toe on the driver side rear, while waiting on a replacement torque arm bushing. Went to loosten the last bolt, and SNAP!!! What was going to be a 20 min. job, turned into three hours. angry smileyangry smiley

But...patience is a virtue with these old beasts. She is back on the road, and purring like a kitten.

Happy motoring...
-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: April 05, 2021 02:42PM

Got the last of the air ride (front suspension) installed.

Dylan
'62 95 Panel
Seattle, WA

Wagons and vans, just clap your hands.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: April 09, 2021 03:14PM

I cut up a 1968 Convertible , smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: April 12, 2021 09:10AM

Replaced PG trans pan gasket, shift cable o-ring, checked governor o-ring, and replaced left side trailing arm bushing. Like others have experienced, the new bushing was too easy to "press" in, so I did what others have done and tack-welded the bushing to arm, in 4 spots. Strange how much difference there is in parts spec.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: Mike MacDonad ()
Date: April 15, 2021 09:49AM

Engine out been degreaseing for three days Getting close to pull apart for reseal and have a head leak on #2

Current Page: 225 of 225

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.