Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 217 of 220
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 19, 2020 10:04AM

Agreed Doug looks very nice. Great job getting it up and running.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: August 19, 2020 01:46PM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agreed Doug looks very nice. Great job getting it up and running.

Thanks Steve! I still don't have the rear hubs you rebuilt for me on yet. I think I'll make that my winter project this year... drinking smiley

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 19, 2020 02:43PM

EZ project Doug and shelf life of the hubs is pretty good too. ggg

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 20, 2020 04:16PM

Set up the shim pack for each of the 10 rear axle bearing assemblies Rick & I have been slowly working on. Next up is to lube and assemble the unit, when I take another break from other bigger projects. Today was a small task day.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Big Dave ()
Date: August 22, 2020 04:18PM

Well not today but last weekend I installed the Honda U joint on my van shifter to try to fix my stubborn 2nd gear. Sadly it was not the problemsad smiley. The good news is that I now have much less free play. I did have to cut some off both the front and back of the shifter and add a 3/4" shaft to couple the u joint to the rod.

Dave A.

62 Greenbrier "Shaggy" Daily Driver
63 Greenbrier "Velma" (SOLD!)
63 Rampside Future Project
63 Monza Vert
64 Monza Vert, Son's Project / Daily Driver

Puyallup, WA

Attachments:
Date: August 22, 2020 05:52PM

First 2 of the 10 rear axle bear assemblies have been assembled. Slow progress. Hope to have them done this week.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 22, 2020 07:25PM

I spent yesterday and today, prepping the 67 Convertible for the engine removal and re-seal. I am bringing it to a friends shop (high lift) where we will drop out the motor, install a mock up motor (bellhousing/cases/rear housing and motor mount) and I then will tow it home. I will be bringing the motor along as well. Up onto the engine stand for a complete cleaning and reseal. This time with all the correct parts. Then back to my friend's for the install and back home for detail. Now I have to go through a set of carbs. The last couple of days, working in the driveway with the current California heat and smoke, provides about a 90 minute, late afternoon window of light and shade. Yesterday I took everything off the top, including wiring today removed the headers and some "interestingly trimmed" lower shrouds. Even though the car was now lowered, the lowest pipe on each header had been "ground-clearanced" with a flat bottom and will need repair before use. I will be using a full new stock exhaust. The head's exhaust tubes look like the previous owner installed asbestos seals on the exhaust - they look great. They were installed in about 1980. Could be..

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: August 29, 2020 02:44PM

Had a welder come in today to start the trunk pan replacement on my Coupe. He got it cut out. Will finish prep and the replacement pan weld in tomorrow.

Then I can get the tank in and start back on this one again.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Posted by: Big Dave ()
Date: August 30, 2020 02:55PM

Started replacing the window channel and fuzzies in my van. C'mon, theres still a little life left in the old ones, right?winking smiley

Dave A.

62 Greenbrier "Shaggy" Daily Driver
63 Greenbrier "Velma" (SOLD!)
63 Rampside Future Project
63 Monza Vert
64 Monza Vert, Son's Project / Daily Driver

Puyallup, WA

Attachments:

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 03:33PM

Thanks to Richard Payne, the '63 is up an running great for the first a loooong time. Heads redone/ valve job, carbs and new lifters. Sooo happy.

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Date: August 30, 2020 05:32PM

Replacement trunk is almost finished. Side grinder switch failed, so have to go get another $4.00 special.

Al
Georgia

Date: September 04, 2020 03:04PM

All 10 spare rear axle assemblies for Rick and my Vairs have been completed. That gives me 2 sets of spares for each Vair I have, with 1 set not really needed. Rick will also have 2 sets for his 2 Vairs.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Posted by: Bruins_Fan ()
Date: September 06, 2020 03:26PM

Replaced my windshield washer pump (and hoses) with new one from Clark's.

1966 Monza Convertible 110 PG
North Shore, MA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2020 03:27PM by Bruins_Fan.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 07, 2020 02:00PM

Upon arriving home from work on this Hot Humid Labor Day (Yes I went to work) I proceeded to take the top cover off of the 65 Monza convertible.
I wanted to be sure there were not any mouse nests between the cylinders and anywhere else that could result in overheating.
This car apparently was not driven much in the past 36 years the prior owner had it.
I just wanted to piece of mind and it will give me an opportunity to clean shrouds before they go back on. eye rolling smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: September 08, 2020 10:41AM

Might as well de-flash since you are in there Caraholic... smiling smiley

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: September 09, 2020 02:37PM

After work today I worked on the '65 Monza convertible again, cleaning the top shroud, the fan blade, and associated parts. While I was at it I went ahead and cleaned the surround shrouds a little since access to them was better.
I noticed the RH code number still stamped on the top cover so that tells me it has probably never been apart. The stamping immediately came off while cleaning the cover.

I had decided to pull the spark plugs while I was at it and maybe even do a compression check while things were apart.
First thing I noticed was that the number 1 spark plug was finger tight but the others were nice and snug.
Numbers 5 and 6 were tighter than I was comfortable with but the came out OK and I thought things were OK until I went to put them back in.
I suspect they may have been cross threaded as they would only go in about half way before getting snug. They are A/C 44FFS plugs and did not look to bad.

No, I did not get to the compression check but will now need to scrounge up a thread chaser and try my luck at saving the thread holes.
In 47 years of playing with Corvair's, these are the first screwed up plug holes I have had in one of my cars.

IF I don't come up with a thread chaser, and if things don't go my way, I won't be taking the car to it's first club event on Saturday which stinks since I was/am looking forward to the event.

I'll keep you posted.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: September 09, 2020 02:49PM

The plugs that won't go in might not have been in all of the way so the threads are carboned up.

Caraholic4life Wrote:
> After work today I worked on the '65 Monza convertible again, cleaning the top shroud, the fan blade, and associated parts. While I was at it I went ahead and cleaned the surround shrouds a little since access to them was better.
> I noticed the RH code number still stamped on the top cover so that tells me it has probably never been apart. The stamping immediately came off while cleaning the cover.
>
> I had decided to pull the spark plugs while I was at it and maybe even do a compression check while things were apart.
> First thing I noticed was that the number 1 spark plug was finger tight but the others were nice and snug.
> Numbers 5 and 6 were tighter than I was comfortable with but the came out OK and I thought things were OK until I went to put them back in.
> I suspect they may have been cross threaded as they would only go in about half way before getting snug. They are A/C 44FFS plugs and did not look to bad.
>
> No, I did not get to the compression check but will now need to scrounge up a thread chaser and try my luck at saving the thread holes.
> In 47 years of playing with Corvair's, these are the first screwed up plug holes I have had in one of my cars.
>
> IF I don't come up with a thread chaser, and if things don't go my way, I won't be taking the car to it's first club event on Saturday which stinks since I was/am looking forward to the event.
>
> I'll keep you posted.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Date: September 10, 2020 01:28PM

Spectre Wrote:
> The plugs that won't go in might not have been in all of the way so the threads are carboned up. My guess is they were that way for a while.
>
Yes, The Plug holes are indeed carboned up so I now need to determine my next step. The thread chaser I bought only went in so far and stopped at about the same place the spark plug did. I was not about to force it.

As anxious as I was to have a car I could enjoy without a whole lot of work, this one is not turning out that way.
This weekend was to be it's "Debut" to local events but I will not hurry my next steps then pay for it later.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: September 11, 2020 05:08PM

It was a good day and the convertible is back together and running.smiling smiley

Today I purchased a thread repair kit so I could get the correct size 14MM x 1.25 thread tap. I also figured it would not hurt to have the other parts in case I needed them.
After work I was able to successfully clean up the threads in both of the damaged #5 & #6 cylinder holes. Once that was done I carefully used it to clean the carbon build up out of the other holes as needed. The threads are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but are the best I could do given the circumstances.

Upon closer inspection cylinder #2 & #3 appeared to already have thread repair done on them.
I did a compression test #1=145, #2=160, #3=175, #4=170, #5=150, #6=150. The high and low are outside ideal parameters but this is what they are.
New NGK plugs were installed since that was what the auto parts store had on hand when I was there. I also purchased a Standard Cap (with brass contacts) and rotor button. Other parts on hand are Delco points and probably have a set of wires somewhere. Maybe tomorrow I will attend to installing these items.

Once I had the car back together, I put about 35 miles on it at varying speeds which included pushing it close to it's limits at times to see if it would stay together. When the plugs went in, I still had the top shroud off the engine and was able to thread them all the way down to the gaskets using only my fingers.
At that point I went ahead and snugged them up as I normally would and they seem to hold fine. So far, so good.

In the morning I will tinker with it some more before making a final decision if I want to trust it for a day trip of about 150 miles to a club event.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 11, 2020 09:28PM

Worked on getting the Stereo working.
Had to have some Patriotic Tunes pouring out of those 12" speakers while we rolled our 9-11 memorial Cruise.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Attachments:

Current Page: 217 of 220

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.