Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 213 of 215
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: 65CorsaTurbo ()
Date: May 11, 2020 04:21PM

Hi Al. My engine mount is just totally deteriorated, even split down both sides. I found a used one in my parts stash that should be ok for now.
Do you have a photos of the one you fixed ?

Bill (B.Y.)
1965 Monza convertible, red/red, white top, 110, auto.
1965 Corsa 180 (under restoration)
1966 500, white/red/110/auto (sold)
1967 Crown V-8 (sold)
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 65CorsaTurbo ()
Date: May 13, 2020 08:44PM

Today I took the top shroud off to check for nests and debris; None found, but it looks like the heads need deflashed.

Degreased and wire wheeled the carb cross shaft, fuel lines and some engine brackets etc to remove rust and grime in preparation for paint. I also degreased the fan and will get it lightly blasted. I'll check it for cracking, then paint or coat it.

Took apart one carb to get it ready to take to my buddy's to put it in his ultrasonic cleaner.

Ordered stainless carb screws and a couple other things from Grant Young.

Started to degrease the top shroud in preparation for powder coating.

Anybody have input on clear coating the fuel lines. Somebody in the past had painted them black.

Bill (B.Y.)
1965 Monza convertible, red/red, white top, 110, auto.
1965 Corsa 180 (under restoration)
1966 500, white/red/110/auto (sold)
1967 Crown V-8 (sold)
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 13, 2020 09:12PM

Don't forget the engine perimeter seal!

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 14, 2020 04:36AM

65CorsaTurbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Ordered stainless carb screws and a couple other things from Grant Young.

Be careful using Stainless hardware around aluminum. More apt to cause corrosion.

I use an aluminum anti-seize when installing any steel hardware in or through aluminum.

Stainless Steel & Aluminum: Why You Shouldn’t Use Them Together and Proper Precautions To Take If You Do

[www.albanycountyfasteners.com]

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 04:39AM by Lane66m.

Attachments:
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 14, 2020 06:50AM

Phil Dally Wrote:
> Gem's heater blower motor quit again...we have been here before. Had no power at the wire feeding the rear blower motor. Traced 12 volts from fuse box through fuse and dash switch up to the heater resister...all good. Not sure how to test a resister so scrounged up a used one and bingo it worked. Just for fun I installed the old one back in and yep...it worked.
>
> This has been an intermittent problem so I'm leaving the old one in and we'll see what happens. If it quits again I know right where to go. Could have been as simple as a bit of corrosion on the terminals. It's like that living close to the ocean you know.
>
> One thing I learned is the heater resister wires are different colors and different gauges in an air conditioned car compared to non air conditioning.

You probably know this but you did check BOTH blower switches right? One selects blower(s) speed. The other (fore or aft) selects which blower.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: May 15, 2020 09:46AM

My parts finally arrived, a month late due to USPS losing the parcel in LAX for 3 weeks, so I finally got around to replacing the exhaust system on the car.

The old system was a lot rattier than it looked on the car. I'm not sure if the pipe is original or not, but it has a sizable restriction (squished down to about 1") on the driver's tube where the pipes meet up, almost like it got crushed when they were assembling it.

The driver's side inlet was rusted badly, particularly behind the flange. The seating surface for the manifold -> pipe packing was entirely missing, though I'm not sure if it rusted away or was removed.

In its place someone put in a piece of very, very thin piping (tissue paper thin), which naturally did not seal and also rusted out.

All that has been taken care of and corrected with a shiny new muffler and crossover pipe. I went in prepared break and replace all the studs, but 3 out of 4 came out without issue. The silver paint likely won't last, but it sure looked nice during assembly grinning smiley

Canadian 1961 #00214, 700 4DR 80HP/PG
Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 15, 2020 09:54AM

Ready for Summer!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 15, 2020 11:10AM

That will quiet it down.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 16, 2020 08:14AM

Got the first batch of Zonker differential job parts from CA Corvair.

Owner Jeff sells great stuff...blasted, painted, and new rubber. thumbs up

Still deciding if I should install a four speed in it while out.

I have 95% of the parts needed in stock here in my shop.

I bought a pedal assembly from club member VW Vince.

Attachments:
Date: May 16, 2020 03:49PM

65CorsaTurbo Wrote:
> Hi Al. My engine mount is just totally deteriorated, even split down both sides. I found a used one in my parts stash that should be ok for now.
> Do you have a photos of the one you fixed ?

We didn't take any photos, but it is a simple task. Put the 2 halves of mount back into original positions. C-clamp them together so they don't move. Center punch for a hole about 9/16" under the hook section of the mount. You need room under hook for 5/18-18 nut and washer to fit there. We used an aviation washer which is a narrower diameter. Start with 1/8" drill and drill press, drill hole at mark. Keep increasing drill bit size until a 5/16-18 grade 8 bolt just slips in. Install bolt with flat washers and grade 8 metal locking nut and secure tightly. No plastic insert locking nuts. Repeat drill process for second hole about 3/4" lower from 1st bolt. Remove clamp and hardware. Clean all old rubber adhesive off mount pieces. Use polyurethane sealant (Lowe's has it in caulking tube) to coat mount pieces joining areas. Install hardware and torque to spec. Install mount.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: May 16, 2020 07:08PM

Finished a laundry list and several weeks of work off on a buddies '63 and sent it back. I lasted a few hours before tearing into one of my own. Dropped the steering box out of Plum Crazy, my '66. Surprisingly it was pretty nice inside and probably didn't need it (first time I ever say that about tearing down a vair steering box). Shhhh Frank, dont tell Del, his head is big enough already. Still not a bad idea to give it a thorough cleanup and reseal.

Date: May 18, 2020 11:51AM

Pushed Duck up onto the lift to scavenging heater parts for Zonker's heater.

I'm taking bets on whether I can get the oval hose out in one piece and usable.

Duck has been a great parts car...I've got my moneys worth times ten for $275.

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 18, 2020 12:28PM

Poor Thing. sad smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: May 18, 2020 01:30PM

You're right Mel...it is pathetic but it lives on!!!

Attachments:
Date: May 19, 2020 09:58AM

Success...only one Black Widow that bounced off my stomach when she fell out.

Almost all usable with an after market (no spade) fan motor that hauls bananas.

Attachments:

Posted by: Wrencher ()
Date: May 22, 2020 06:50PM

Had a persistent oil leak (imagine that!) for months now. Not bad, just a couple spots after driving, couldn't put my finger on it. Lifted the lid today while it was running and noticed a little blow by coming from my catch tank (required for track days). I pulled my vacuum hose from my rear balance tube, had plenty of vacuum and the engine sputtered and died, good right? Next, I pulled the metal breather tube with the fixed orifice in it to check it all over. the orifice was plugged solid! Soaked it in carb cleaner, cleaned it all out with a flexible pipe cleaner and wire, and put it all back together. Ran an errand to the next town over (about 30 miles round trip) and lo and behold, no more leak or blow-by! Life is good.

Last weekend I re-installed my rebuilt speedo in my Corsa turbo dash and it worked perfectly, including the odometer! Commercial Speedometer in West Sacramento CA did all the work; he sourced all the parts.

Hans

Hans

The Larry Shinoda Collection: '65 Corvair Monza 140, '69 L-68 Corvette Roadster, '70 BOSS 302

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: May 24, 2020 07:40PM

Finished the slight clearancing of the spring pockets for beehive valve springs on the heads for my evening orchid vert engine. Also finished port cleanup and deflashing. I installed the exhaust valves and exhaust manifolds. Need intake seals before the intakes go in. Then race to the finish. I have taken far far too long on this rebuild. My goal was end of March to be driving it. Missed that. I’ll try for Start of July now.

Posted by: mborge ()
Date: May 25, 2020 06:48PM

Today I placed an order for a set of American racing 105M at 4wheelonline. Then I replaced the master cylinder and return fuel hose.

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: May 31, 2020 10:29AM

Last week, I "rescue tape" repaired my PG shift cable and cable "o" ring, and at that time...inadvertantly tightened up my pan bolts. As per murphy, I staryed leaking fairly heavily from my pan gasket. So...Yesterday, got some rubberized cork gasket sheet from my FLAPS, and made a bew gasket. Swapped that out and while I was under there, replaced the original governor "o" ring, too. I am hoping for NO MORE LEAKS under the car.

Happy Corvairing...

-m

P.s. Took the tarps off the project car, and getting motivated to get that done as well. ????????????

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: June 01, 2020 08:53PM

I replaced my pitman arm bushing today. Or, rather, what little was left of it. The old rubber simply fell out, and the shell was very clean. The whole process took perhaps 15 minutes.

Canadian 1961 #00214, 700 4DR 80HP/PG
Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Attachments:

Current Page: 213 of 215

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.