Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
corvair neon sign
Posted by: Corveight ()
Date: January 18, 2013 12:40PM

A friend of mine has a "corvair by chevrolet" neon sign he'd like to sell. He said a Mecum auction sold one for $1000. I'd like to buy it, but not for that price. Is that really what they go for? Has anyone here bought or sold one recently that would like to share the price?

Warren Holt
Cleveland, Ohio
65 Crown V8
65 Turbo Coupe
68 Monza

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: corvair neon sign
Posted by: stratovair ()
Date: January 18, 2013 12:45PM

I was offered that much over a decade ago for mine, but I refused. These are ultra rare, so give it some thought.

Dave "Turbo" Binnie

Posted by: hames57 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 12:46PM

Such auctions take a really big bite of the closing bids. 35/30% Big. so if it sold for a grand at auction, an out the door price wouldn't be anything over 700 bucks. Yes, if American Pickers have anything honest about their show, such signs are popular. I'd like to have one, but you can buy a lot of corvair parts for even 700 bucks. I'd offer him 200 if I didn't know that he had a grand in mind ahead of time.

Never let ignorance interfere with the opportunity to offer a knowledgeable opinion.
61 Rampside #1 110 car engine 4 speed xmission working on making it go.
61 Rampside #2 110 car engine 4 speed xmission waiting its turn.
Got em cheap and having a ball with truly unique trucks.

Harry, KG7RC

Posted by: jrdriver8 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 02:11PM

So cool! Right above the couch! Or better yet........the BED. Who needs that 21 year old wedding picture.

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: January 18, 2013 02:51PM

I bought one on eBay about 8 years ago and I paid $1000.00, the seller had a reserve price of $1000.00 on it. Since the economic tanked I seen one go for $500.00

Posted by: John Luscinski ()
Date: January 18, 2013 03:24PM

Have one made they are probably cheaper!

"Been there and done that! Well Not everything.smiling smiley
65 500 2dr Coupe
63 Greenbrier

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: January 18, 2013 07:11PM

Shipping can be a killer if you want to make sure it isn't broken. Mine needed some repair and the neon guy said it wouldn't be hard to bend a copy, but I didn't ask how much.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Attachments:
Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: January 18, 2013 07:50PM

A friend of mine bought a non-working one hoping to have it repaired. He took it to two shops, both said it would be cheaper to build a new one than to repair it.
GMoore

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: January 19, 2013 06:29PM

I could see a neon sign of a big sledge hammer in DaveMotorheads' garage!

1964 Monza Coupe
1965 Corsa 140
1967 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: JennaJay ()
Date: April 07, 2013 03:54PM

Hey there! Is anyone perhaps interested in selling their Corvair neon sign? Looking to purchase one for an awesome birthday present for my guy, & I found my way to this thread on my hunt. Please send me a message or reply if you happen to know of one that's looking for a good home, or if anyone may have a lead for me. Thank you so much!

-jen

Posted by: Bluebrier ()
Date: April 07, 2013 04:04PM

Which are the dimensions of that sign ?

Daniel Monasterio
64 Customized Greenbrier (The Bluebrier)
67 Customized Cpe. (Andariego)
Guadalajara, México

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: April 07, 2013 04:23PM

Bluebrier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which are the dimensions of that sign ?

10 inches high. "Corvair" is 38 inches wide and "By Chevrolet" is 33 inches wide.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: Danthesignman ()
Date: April 07, 2013 05:25PM

Wow $1000 ?? I need to start making some corvair signs I guess . A good neon bender will bend that up and pump it for about $200 . Associated hardware maybe another 50-75 . Transformer $150 . Also remember that certain colors of neon have different gasses in them , yellow and white have mercury in them and cannot be repaired , they have to be re-bent with new glass so if You are thinking of buying one that is broken and have it fixed You will end up with new glass anyway . Wow , $1000 ? crazy....

Winterset , Iowa

If You tell the truth , You don`t have to remember what You said .

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: April 07, 2013 05:54PM

I have about 80% of one...it was cracked when I got it, and a piece "COR" fell off and smashed on the garage floor!! I bought it for $25. There was a working one in Ames IA that I could have had for $100 - but I didn't have cash in hand.

Eventually, I'll get with a Neon guy and get it fixed.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: JennaJay ()
Date: April 07, 2013 06:02PM

I think those $1000 asking prices were from a decade ago, they seem to have come down with the economic rollercoaster. I've seen a couple around for under $500, this one sold on ebay in Feb 2013 for under $400. Kicking myself for not jumping on it sooner when I saw it!

Chevrolet Corvair Original Dealership Showroom Window Neon Sign with Transformer
Asking price of $395, sold for a "best-offer" less than that amount.
Scroll all the way down the page to see the item.
[www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 06:04PM by JennaJay.

Posted by: Corveight ()
Date: April 07, 2013 06:48PM

Thanks, Jen, for that info. I still don't have the sign I mentioned when I opened this topic. It seems the owner has taken a shine to it, although he has no Corvairs. Based on real world numbers, I think I'll make him an offer and see if he bites.

Warren Holt
Cleveland, Ohio
65 Crown V8
65 Turbo Coupe
68 Monza

Posted by: mdepace ()
Date: January 15, 2014 10:53AM

Hello All- I have found a company that have reproduced the Vintage Corvair by Chevrolet sign. These are brand new, great quality, and has a 1 year warranty. The price includes shipping and no tax is added unless you are in MA. Use corvair5 for a 5% discount.

[www.allneonsigns.com]

Here is the other cheaper option-
[www.allneonsigns.com]

1962 Monza Coupe
Long Island, NY

Posted by: jrdriver8 ()
Date: January 15, 2014 03:24PM

Right above the couch or the bed! It's okay honey,,,,you'll get used to the glow, besides....that wedding picture was faded anyway. grinning smiley

Posted by: monzagal ()
Date: January 15, 2014 03:45PM

It never ceases to amaze me...what I learn on here that isn't Corvair related... I know now more about neon signs than I ever cared too....GGG

Posted by: avairnut ()
Date: January 15, 2014 04:04PM

I have an original "CORVAIR by CHEVROLET" neon sign STILL in the original wooden shipping create dated Oct, 2 1959. I also have the transformer. I bought it from a small town Chevrolet Dealer back in 1990, he had it carefully stored up in his attic of the Chevrolet dealership since 1959. It's still like new, in perfect condition, never taken out of the create & never been plugged in. This could be the only one in existence still new in the original create. I'm not sure if I want to sell it, but $$$ ???

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.