home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: 68 corvair monza convertible
Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: December 19, 2015 05:46AM

Planning to put a/c into my car, just fitted the vent into the glove box door. Even had a 68-69 panel to make it correct (a little anal but heck I have the time to be)!

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 19, 2015 05:52AM

Also tore down a front end to rebuild and convert to disc brake. Hopefully soon I will have my car on the road but for now just be happy to work on whatever.

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Attachments:

Posted by: Joe Potts ()
Date: December 19, 2015 04:38PM

Disc brakes will give you superior resistance to "flooded" brakes (important in SC these days!), but otherwise, unless you're racing, I think they'll do little for you. Because the engine is in the back, the Corvair stops better with drum brakes than front-engine cars with discs do.

Think about staying stock, unless that flooding problem is serious for you.

And by the way, disc brakes on the REAR do as much or MORE good than disc brakes on the front (engine in the BACK), so I hear. Check it out. I continue with drums all around, as you might have guessed, but I'm disposed to keep things stock, within reason (see signature below).

MORE: Drum brakes are self-energizing, while disc brakes are not. You WILL have to apply MORE pedal pressure (good thing you're 27). I had a Karmann-Ghia with manual disk brakes (factory) and it was miserable! You COULD add assist, but . . . see where this is going? Drums. Stock. I use Porterfield linings/shoes, love them!

Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with "factory" A/C
solenoid-type fuel pump used for priming and backup
3-point retractable seat belts for front seats
8" subwoofer with custom infinite-baffle enclosure in well behind back seat
rear component mids/tweeters powered by outboard amp under pass seat
front mids/tweeters powered by Custom Autosound headunit

Date: December 19, 2015 06:02PM

I had many say disc are the way to go. I don't mind doing small mods you can always change back easily. And flooding is pretty bad in Greenville, these streets don't drain well at all.

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Date: December 19, 2015 06:03PM

I appreciate all ideas and opinions though.

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Date: December 22, 2015 04:58PM

Heating duct 101! I pulled this one out of a junk car and after cleaning and painting the metal pieces, it turned out pretty nice. I just got foam window tape to help make it more efficient, maybe not necessary, but heck why not!

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Attachments:

Date: February 02, 2016 05:29AM

Been doing extensive front end rebuilding this past month. There is a lot to a front end and not one bolt wanted to let go easily, but I did get it apart and most of it cleaned and painted. I used just some old tractor paint we had and brushed it one the big stuff and painted the smaller parts with a rattle can. Going to drop it a coil and add disc brake to finish up the package! Next part is to dig into the trasnaxle (give it a good cleaning and reseal)!

I am a little concerned about the transaxle though. When I pulled it from the junk car it came from, I noticed a lot of things were worn (which I know is normal to a degree but seemed unusual in some areas), included the engine had been rebuilt due to a issue in the bottom end. Pulling the crossmember I found 2 of the bolts were replaced in the transmission housing and assume it had dangled for awhile causing a lot of the issues I am seeing. So how concerned should I be or should I just clean seal and drive the hell out of itgrinning smiley.

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Attachments:

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: February 02, 2016 08:31AM

Nice work cleaning up those suspension parts. Did you choose the replacement bushings yet ?

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Date: February 02, 2016 09:57AM

I am planning to get my bushings and balljoints from a guy online the kit is about $250 shipped to my door.

[stores.a-resto-parts.com]

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 09:58AM by coleslaw31.

Posted by: gerg ()
Date: February 02, 2016 11:51AM

Nice work!!! I am itching to get started on my convertible.

Sooooo many great builds going on here . . . .

gerg
Monroe, LA

1965 500 Coupe, 140hp / PG, Brown EFI - work in progress
1962 Rampside, 110Hp, factory 4 speed & 3.89 posi

Current cars and other fun stuff -> [gregblakeney.smugmug.com]

Date: February 02, 2016 11:58AM

Cleaning up my cross shaft and everything looks pretty good with little wear. The grease in that thing wasn't the most pleasant looking stuff so got it all flushed and will re grease. question is on the end that bolts to the transmission crossmember, is there a seal that goes there? I couldnt imagine it just being left open this way. I do notice in the book it says it has a special washer that goes in with the stud so I assume that would be it. Thanks Joe Potts for the spare parts you sent me they helped me get this thing back good as new!

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Attachments:

Date: February 18, 2016 05:52AM

Been steady on the powertrain swap on my convertible. Have all the seals coming to reseal the transaxle and hope to have it mated to the engine in the next couple weeks! It has been a great learning experience for me stripping out the junk car and going through the linkages and drivetrain to get ready to reinstall, I recommend anyone who hasn't yet (which I am sure many on here have many times over) to strip out a junker and learn how everything comes together.

So the junk car was a 69 coupe (#2520) 140 4spd with 45,000 miles on it. It had a engine rebuild in 2008 from the receipts that came with the car and I assume because of the severe body rust they just gave up on it. Cant say for sure how well the engine will do but internals looked great and has .60 over pistons in it. Deflashed the heads (in 69 I assume the molds were wore out, the flashing was awful!) and did a reseal just to be safe.

Also doing little things like rewrapping the wiring harnesses throughout cleaning small components like my brake blocks? and cutting out the dash and trunk for the a/c system. May not make it to Springfest but I will still try! Plan as of now is to get the dash ready and wiring back installed and front floor repaired (photos coming soon) and start installing the shifter components in the tunnel along with the heating ducts.

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Attachments:

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 06:11AM

Looking GREAT!!!! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 08:58AM

I got misc disc brake parts from Tony, they work great, I haven't noticed it taking more foot pressure to stop the car. Main reason I swapped over is my drum brakes needed work, grabbing and discs are much easier to keep working right.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: February 18, 2016 09:52AM

Everyone here runs them no problem. Glad you could give tony some business he is a great guy.

Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got misc disc brake parts from Tony, they work
> great, I haven't noticed it taking more foot
> pressure to stop the car. Main reason I swapped
> over is my drum brakes needed work, grabbing and
> discs are much easier to keep working right.

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Date: February 18, 2016 02:31PM

Getting my in tank fuel pump ready for install! Such a clean mod and eliminates the fear of dumping gas into the crankcase. I know most say "But sir if it quits on you you cant just swap out the pump!" well I have a inline pump I plan to keep in the trunk incase it does happen I can pop it in where I put the inline fuel filter and get myself home.

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Attachments:
Date: February 18, 2016 02:33PM

Great write up on installing a in tank fuel pump for your corvair. Just in case someone is interested.

[www.murfy.us]

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Date: February 20, 2016 11:27AM

Well progress continues. Got my torque arms with some fresh bushings, boogered one of the lips some until I found this method with the press. Along with my refreshed rear bearing assemblies compliments of a local corvair mechanic here. Did I mention I hate using a press crap is scary!

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Attachments:

Posted by: gerg ()
Date: February 20, 2016 12:18PM

Amazing work coleslaw!!

My front floor patches will be delivered Monday . . . fixing to get some cutting time in on the 500 winking smiley

gerg
Monroe, LA

1965 500 Coupe, 140hp / PG, Brown EFI - work in progress
1962 Rampside, 110Hp, factory 4 speed & 3.89 posi

Current cars and other fun stuff -> [gregblakeney.smugmug.com]

Date: February 20, 2016 12:54PM

Thank you sir! Its been a good learning experience and cant wait to see it all start to be put on the car. I lucked out and got a front floor from a local here pretty much gave them to me so I am grateful to no end on that. I will post photos tomorrow of the cars current state. I completely gutted it and am going through it head to toe. Finding out the car is better than I had feared so thats good. Spent this morning at work cleaning the transaxle more. It was gross with a inch of grease and dirt built up around it!

Side note in 68-69 the engine block got stamped with the cars partial vin as well as the transmission. So cool I have the matching 69 drivetrain.

gerg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amazing work coleslaw!!
>
> My front floor patches will be delivered Monday .
> . . fixing to get some cutting time in on the 500
> winking smiley

South Carolina Upstate

66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Attachments:

Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.