Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: 68 corvair monza convertible
Posted by: SUMTOY1966 ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:15PM

Hey welcome to corvair land nice vair! I am just at the ga/sc line we have a club in the anderson/ greenville area pm me and i will try to help you get it going and maybe you would like to join our club we have around 50 or so members.

Ben
1965 vert.
1965 corsa turbo 180.

Bowersville Ga

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: curt ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:21PM

Use Carb Cleaner not starter fluid. I have heard of damage to the engine when using starter fluid. My opinion.

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:33PM

Snapped some photos, I couldnt see the filter behind the tire but I will jack it up and check tomorrow. The leak from the brake cylinder is hard to spot but I will have it out as soon as I get the car inside. Also I did notice a tube in the front louvers wasnt sure if that is a fuel line or part of the windshield wipers if it is a fuel line then that could be the problem.

Attachments:

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:34PM

Those are the springs for hood support.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: January 17, 2013 02:35PM

curt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Use Carb Cleaner not starter fluid. I have heard
> of damage to the engine when using starter fluid.
> My opinion.

Sorry I am a rookie, luckily I was actually using carb cleaner I just assumed they were the same.

Posted by: MrChips ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:49PM

Starting fluid is usually ethyl ether.

If your can says "With upper cylinder lubricant', you are safer using that than carb cleaner, but again, it's not for running your engine longer than 10-15 seconds at a time.

If you have a pressure regulator and air-line, you can put about 1psi pressure on your fuel tank to help push the fuel to the rear- this will let you see if any of the lines are leaking like sieves (The rubber coupler in the wheel well is notorious for cracking).

Most importantly, BE SAFE! Have an extinguisher handy (co2 is easier to clean up, but more difficult for the layman to use) in case you're faced with a fire-breathing dragon once you get 'er running...

Where Santiago and Live Oak Canyon intersect in Orange County, Ca

Posted by: HOMEBREW ()
Date: January 17, 2013 07:32PM

I second the fire extinguisher... Look up under the dash and peel. Back the boot on the master cylinder. Dollar to a donuts it will be filled with brake fluid. Just change it out and you will be good to go. Will you continue to call that car Lucy?

Date: January 20, 2013 09:58AM

HOMEBREW Wrote:
> I second the fire extinguisher... Look up under
> the dash and peel. Back the boot on the master
> cylinder. Dollar to a donuts it will be filled
> with brake fluid. Just change it out and you will
> be good to go. Will you continue to call that car
> Lucy?

Well I figured I would since she been called that forever. Cant really call it killer with a automatic trans haha. But I may change it not sure. I do have a update and really appreciate all the help. I got the car pushed in the garage with the help of my dad who was willing to drive a hour to help push and looked really good at the pump and it did turn out to be the fuel pump. The diaphragms were rotten and split in multiple places so I am pretty sure that we got the culprit. Ordered the new one should be in tomorrow and hoping the ol girl will fire up and run smooth for me. ready to drive my first corvair.

Attachments:

Date: January 20, 2013 10:36AM

Hey Coleslaw

Tell me was it original paint? She referred it as gunmetal grey but wrong color for 68. What does the the Paint/trim code say on Fisher tag?

Also seen the removal of smog stuff. Is it all gone or partially gone?

If so I have removed the smog stuff for a 68 if you needed to get it back to original. Some may not go that way...however I believe I would fix it back.

I will tell you dude that car caused me hours of restless sleep. Should I shouldn't I and when I decided...well to late.

Steve

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: January 20, 2013 10:49AM

I'm pretty sure it was painted at least once. It belonged to Bill Burleson and his wife Jan Bost for many years in Roanoke Valley CC. The car actually sat for a long time even before Jan passed away around '06. Not a bad car at all. It was her favorite. I'm not really a big convertible fan, and I already have a pair, so it wasn't of great interest to me.

Mike
YS-117

Date: January 20, 2013 11:11AM

HOMEBREW Wrote:
> Hey Coleslaw
>
> Tell me was it original paint? She referred it as
> gunmetal grey but wrong color for 68. What does
> the the Paint/trim code say on Fisher tag?
>
> Also seen the removal of smog stuff. Is it all
> gone or partially gone?
>
> If so I have removed the smog stuff for a 68 if
> you needed to get it back to original. Some may
> not go that way...however I believe I would fix it
> back.
>
> I will tell you dude that car caused me hours of
> restless sleep. Should I shouldn't I and when I
> decided...well to late.
>
> Steve

Yeah I am sorry about that hope there isnt any hard feelings, I jumped on it because it was the best price anyone was willing to get me. It was stressful sending a deposit on something I didnt see in person but I got to say I am happy so far with it. I took a couple photos for you. The paint job is crappy but its okay for now. I can see in the door jams where they tapped it up when repainted and I am pretty sure it's the factory color, I did ask someone and they said it was rare but they did offer it that year. I took a snap of the body tag not sure how to translate it so I thought you may could tell me. I did read the manual about the (A.I.R) system and it has been removed. I didnt realize they had all that then but if I can get it all back I would like to have it like it was factory but until then I will have to plug up the ports dont want trash getting into the intake.

Attachments:

Date: January 20, 2013 11:25AM

I looked up V-2 and it says sequoia green and it looks like it matches up so I guess that is it.

Date: January 20, 2013 01:07PM

Coleslaw 1386 production numbers.... Rare

I am looking for a original paint on a LM Convertible. Hoping.. May have to go way on California.

Date: January 20, 2013 03:45PM

HOMEBREW Wrote:
> Coleslaw 1386 production numbers.... Rare
>
> I am looking for a original paint on a LM
> Convertible. Hoping.. May have to go way on
> California.

what makes a production number rare thats pretty cool though really finding out a lot about the car.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 20, 2013 04:50PM

What's rare is the low number of Corvairs and Corvair convertibles produced as things ran down at the end. Only 1386 convertible Corvairs were produced in 1968. In '69, even fewer: 521. When you compare to the peak convertible production, 1963 and 44,000 cars, 1386 seems pretty small. How many '68 convertibles survive today; 10% 5%?

Of 52,000 LM convertibles, only 1386 were '68s.

BTW, the "2" in your color line means it originally had a black top.

O1B means the body was built in the second week of January

"V" as already stated was Sequoia Green (dark metallic green)

TR 704 = Trim combo 704 = Black vinyl bucket seats

"E" = Black interior trim paint

10567 =
1 = Chevrolet
0 = Corvair
5 = Monza
67 = 2-dr Convertible

WRN = Willow Run Michigan factory

521 = 521st body built

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 20, 2013 07:09PM

First off welcome to the forum.

I think you will find that the entire brake system will need service and you might as well do it all at once instead of waiting for something else to fail. Same with the fuel system, rebuild the carbs, flush out the tank, replace the rubber lines and the filter sock in one operation. Might as well finish the tune up with plugs/points/wires plus balance tube hoses etc. Most other rubber parts such as tires/shock bushings and suspension bushings may not have aged well either, particularly the tires.

You would do well to have the 65 shop manual and 68 supplement before you start with the work, most of the questions about working on the cars are answered in the books. The club members around you are your best friends if you need some help, join the club and CORSA. GOOD LUCK with the car, it will be fun to drive with the top down.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 20, 2013 07:58PM

steve c goodman Wrote:
> First off welcome to the forum.
>
> I think you will find that the entire brake system
> will need service and you might as well do it all
> at once instead of waiting for something else to
> fail. Same with the fuel system, rebuild the
> carbs, flush out the tank, replace the rubber
> lines and the filter sock in one operation. Might
> as well finish the tune up with plugs/points/wires
> plus balance tube hoses etc. Most other rubber
> parts such as tires/shock bushings and suspension
> bushings may not have aged well either,
> particularly the tires.
>
> You would do well to have the 65 shop manual and
> 68 supplement before you start with the work, most
> of the questions about working on the cars are
> answered in the books. The club members around
> you are your best friends if you need some help,
> join the club and CORSA. GOOD LUCK with the car,
> it will be fun to drive with the top down.

I got the 68 supplement, I guess it is just partial I wasnt sure. I will keep looking for the whole manual. I will definitely tune it up and check out everything, but they had replaced a lot before they parked it inside so its not in terrible shape and I am going to see how it does before I tear down the carbs. I did join the Corvair club of america and plan on meeting up with the South Carolina corvair club, only had the car a week and have met some great people willing to help me.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 21, 2013 06:51AM

coleslaw31 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> I got the 68 supplement, I guess it is just
> partial I wasnt sure. I will keep looking for the
> whole manual.

Steve adds: The 65 manual is the complete book for the start of the new model, the others after that are simply supplements to mark changes for that particular year. You need to find the 65 book. It would also be nice for you to add to your library with the Bob Helt books such as 'Corvair Secrets' and others plus the beginner guide from CORSA is helpful. You can never have too many technical publications. GOOD LUCK

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: 140Vair ()
Date: January 21, 2013 07:12AM

Welcome Coleslaw31!

Glad you found the fuel problem. I rebuilt a Corvair engine once and it's first start was a tough one due to the same problem.

Hey, I noticed by Lucy's body tag that she was built the 2nd week of 1/68. My 68 Monza coupe was built the following week, 01C.

Do you know what your production number is? You can find it in the VIN on the dash, engine compartment, or your registration papers.

Mine is 7732. I'm curious to see what number you have.

"Charles" 68, Monza, 95, PG #7732, built 3rd wk of 01/68
Classic Corvairs of River City (Sacramento, CA)

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 21, 2013 07:49AM

Some fuel pump designs fill the crankcase with fuel when they fail. Check your dipstick oil level. If it's over filled, smells like fuel, of seems unreadable because the oil is so diluted it doesn't stick, those are indications of fuel in the oil. If this has happened you'll want to change the oil before you run the engine any more.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.