Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
68 corvair monza convertible
Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: January 17, 2013 10:38AM

Hey guys I am new to the corvair world. I am 27 from South Carolina and was wanting me a classic and jumped on this 68 corvair convertible. I snagged it down from Virginia so it has some fender rust from salt (being from South Carolina I am not used to rust on cars) but over all it's pretty clean and everything is intact. It spent the last 6 years parked inside and I am attempting to crank it up to see how it runs but they had drained the gas and I cannot get it to prime. I hear filling up the bowl on a carb is a good way to prime the pump but am unsure where to take the carbs apart at to get to the bowl without tearing everything down. Help and diagrams would be great, I am ordering a book here soon but it has rained non stop and I am trying to get it in the garage to get it out of the weather and being I am alone on this and it weights as much as a house I cannot push it in out of the rain.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 68 corvair monza convertible
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 17, 2013 11:11AM

Welcome to the CCF! Lots of Vair people in S. Carolina.. tell us where !

27 and cannot push a 2800 lb car??? LOL!!! no flame!!

If the car has been sitting 6 years......without starting? There are a few things to do first...

Try looking at our Rules and FAQ's Sticky at the top of the main page.... lots of help there and links to downloadable manuals!

If you've already cranked the engine long enough to get the PRESS / TEMP light to extinguish????

You can just get an aerosol can of "Starting Fluid" and spray that into the carbs [ read the instructions!] and hopefully keep it running until the pump picks up...

Otherwise.. please wait for others to post with tips on what to do.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 17, 2013 11:19AM

A good way to prime is to loosen the fuel pump locking bolt/nut and push the pump down and up manually. If your area is quiet, you can hear fuel entering the carbs. When flow stops, your carbs are primed.

Whatchouts:
If fuel line just forward of the LF engine corner is cracked (sucking air), it will never prime. You'll have to replace the hose. (Common with modern fuel and older fuel line)

If carburetor floats stick down, carbs will flood and overflow. (Knock carb body around the fuel inlet area with the handle of a large screwdriver to jiggle the float and unstick it.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: January 17, 2013 11:41AM

Welcome!, so they drained the gas 6 years ago and it hasn't since? I would try the starting fluid. Just spray a little into each carb. If it's getting spark, it should start and run long enough for the pump to bring fuel up. I'm assuming the tank was dry and you added fresh gas. If it will run on starting fluid then die, then you either have a clogged line of filter, or bad pump.

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

photo 045ef0c8-2087-4eac-8a5d-9aa0d575d5e0_zps9946d378.jpg
 photo e1227532-1d1b-4c27-b9b3-ab7c1e338ee9_zpsoelhfofz.jpg

Date: January 17, 2013 11:42AM

Thanks for the reply. If it wasnt for this awful weather I would be still trying to get it going, I did do the carb cleaner and it would fire right up so I know the engine will fire once it gets gas. I will attempt to get it going tomorrow again hoping to atleast get it out of the weather. By myself is making this way more difficult than it should be. I live over in the Greenville area so any help will be much appreciated. I have never worked on a corvair before so I am not sure how and were the gas lines run, and the river of water under my feet make me not too excited about going under the car either.

Date: January 17, 2013 11:47AM

The tank was dry and I added 5 gallons of fresh into it. Does it need more? How much cleaner do i spray into the carbs? I am just doing a quick shot into the carbs and the car only fires for a couple of seconds so i assume it just isnt running long enough to prime. Once I find the fuel lines I will check and see if they are leaking I just cant get under it with it being outside and pouring.

Date: January 17, 2013 11:48AM

I will try manually pumping the pump hopefully it will work, the engine looks very clean and taken care of just the owner of it lost interest in it. Looks like a new fuel pump on it but it may of dry rotted from sitting who knows.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 17, 2013 11:53AM

Slight heads-up... Replacement mechanical pumps are somewhat notorious for early failure. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Usually not the diaphragm but rather a loose check valve. Disassembly and repair will usually fix the pump. (stake the valve in place)

Won't hurt to try it - hopefully it's OK

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: January 17, 2013 11:59AM

i am ordering a shop manual so I can read up and learn how it all goes apart. Any links to some online manuals would be great also. I fear it maybe bad but I am staying optimistic, I know new stuff isnt like the "good ol days" and sadly I never knew the "good ol days" when cars were made out of metal, I grew up in the "plastic I need nasa to diagnose my car" age.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 17, 2013 12:00PM

coleslaw31 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The tank was dry and I added 5 gallons of fresh
> into it. Does it need more? How much cleaner do i
> spray into the carbs? I am just doing a quick shot
> into the carbs and the car only fires for a couple
> of seconds so i assume it just isnt running long
> enough to prime. Once I find the fuel lines I will
> check and see if they are leaking I just cant get
> under it with it being outside and pouring.
==============================================================

5 should be fine.. .but more is better! [ siphon effect]

When the engine starts.. keep spraying and it will run longer! even on one carb!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 17, 2013 12:02PM

I figured I needed a extra hand, I will recruit someone here soon to turn the key for me.

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: January 17, 2013 12:30PM

Look inside the driver's side rear wheel area for the body-to-engine rubber hose that connects the 2 steel lines together to see if it's rotten, it will suck air right there and never fill the carbs, as suggested earlier in the thread. If you've started it up on starting fluid and it still hasn't filled the carbs, I'd look there.
This pic shows a typical location for a fuel filter to be located so the solid steel lines in the engine compartment don't get cut.

Editied for missing letters and caps where they don't belong, silly fat fingers.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 12:32PM by Gregory_Miller.

Posted by: HOMEBREW ()
Date: January 17, 2013 01:13PM

Hey Coleslaw I was after the same car. I pined over it for about 20 plus days. When I finally received a response to the ad it had already been sold. Have to say overall condition looked very good. You can unplug the small harness at the starter and put a remote starter to it. This works fine I usually have a jumper to the coil so I can start it by myself. Hoping that car brings lots of smiles for you as I know it was not free. These folks are A big help on the forum just don't let Matt scare you from asking questions. He is helpful!

Date: January 17, 2013 01:28PM

Thanks I will walk down there and see if there is any gas in the filter or leaks. Everyone is being a big help thanks so much for the replies.

Date: January 17, 2013 01:34PM

HOMEBREW Wrote:
> Hey Coleslaw I was after the same car. I pined
> over it for about 20 plus days. When I finally
> received a response to the ad it had already been
> sold. Have to say overall condition looked very
> good. You can unplug the small harness at the
> starter and put a remote starter to it. This works
> fine I usually have a jumper to the coil so I can
> start it by myself. Hoping that car brings lots of
> smiles for you as I know it was not free. These
> folks are A big help on the forum just don't let
> Matt scare you from asking questions. He is
> helpful!

Yeah I took a huge risk going so far for a car without seeing it in person but I got to say I am pretty happy with it, a little disappointed with the rust but I am sure that it could be a lot worse. Another issue I am having besides getting the engine to fire up is the brake master cylinder, it leaks from the master cylinder itself it looks like, I will get a picture of it and show everyone. What is the best replacement I looked at some sites and they say not to use the check valves with a new one so I am wondering if I should rebuild my old one to try and avoid having to do a lot or changes.

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: January 17, 2013 01:37PM

Welcome to the forum smiling bouncing smiley

Great looking ride you have here. thumbs up

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Posted by: corvairdoug ()
Date: January 17, 2013 01:45PM

I would be very cautious with starting fluid. A quick shot or two to get it to fire is all you want.If you use it to keep the engine running, it's what broken piston tops are made of. You can remove the air cleaner, and use a small funnel to pour small amounts of gas into the cage top.on the top of the carb, there is a sideways U shaped slot, 5/16 x 9/16 that you want to aim the gas for; it drains directly to the bowl.

Date: January 17, 2013 01:51PM

corvairdoug Wrote:
> I would be very cautious with starting fluid. A
> quick shot or two to get it to fire is all you
> want.If you use it to keep the engine running,
> it's what broken piston tops are made of. You can
> remove the air cleaner, and use a small funnel to
> pour small amounts of gas into the cage top.on the
> top of the carb, there is a sideways U shaped
> slot, 5/16 x 9/16 that you want to aim the gas
> for; it drains directly to the bowl.

That was what I kind of thought. Thats why I wasnt pouring it on it. I heard getting the gas into the bowl and letting it go in that way is the way to go, just did not know how to get to the bowl without opening the carb anddd I dont want to tear gaskets. I tried pourng it just into the carb directly but I dont want to get gas sitting on the rings and going into the oil. I will give that a shot next and see what it does.

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: January 17, 2013 01:54PM

Welcome, Coleslaw. Let's see some more photos of your new ride!

I got a nice rebuilt master cylinder for my '68 from AutoZone for $20. It was a Fenco M1505 Premium sleeved (stainless steel sleeve). Some Fenco products come from Mexico (not sure if the quality varies), but this was was from Canada. Three years with no problems.

Here's one source of electronic versions of manuals:
http://1969corvair.com/techpages/Corvair_Tech_Page_Index.html

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:14PM

Note: there may not be a filter there, that was the only pic I had of the area, it is usually just a piece of rubber hose connecting the 2 steel lines together. But, it's an OK place to install a fuel filter, but I'd recommend a steel bodied one instead of a plastic one. I took that one out and it's just the regular piece of rubber hose again.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.