home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
My spring project - 65 Monza (my first Vair)
Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: December 15, 2012 12:39PM

Hi everyone, last week I picked up my 65 Monza from the shipper (it came from Indiana) It was a good feeling to be driving the Corvair in my city and state (Wausau, WI). The drive revealed several things that need work but the most important note is - I have a great foundation with this car (body in nice condition). And the icing on the cake for me is the 140

Unfortunatly here in Wisconsin it is past due to put our toys away and wait until winter is gone until we can play again So off to storage it wil go (fresh tank of ethonal free gas and stable - check!)

I purchased the car from the McFarland family. Ralph purchased it in 1977 from a Circle City Corvair club member (Indianapolis). Ralph used it as their show car (I understand he owned many driver and parts Corvairs). It is obvious this car has been well cared for throughout the years. It was last driven in 1993 sometime after that Ralph passed away and the car sat garaged until this year when the gas tank was cleaned to make the car operational. Not much else was done so there is some maintance and troubleshooting for me to do. That's the part I like anyway

Enjoy the photos.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My spring project - 65 Monza (my first Vair)
Date: December 15, 2012 12:41PM

Here are some more photos

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Attachments:

Date: December 15, 2012 12:42PM

Those are all the most interesting photos smileys with beer

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 12:46PM by cad-kid.

Attachments:

Date: December 15, 2012 12:45PM

Here's a short walk around vid I shot.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 15, 2012 12:56PM

Great start!! And less than 2 yrs to get one! You can be proud!

If you are into showing is doesn't look like it will take long to detail it!

And when you paint it I'll bet there's not much hidden!

Hopefully you have a heated garage to while away in during those long winter days!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 15, 2012 01:14PM

Thanks Matt (good memory!)

I do have a garage but it isn't heated. But fortunatly my neighbor across the street is storing the car for me. So if I get lonely I can easily visit my vair -GGG. But work will start in earnest when spring gets here. In the mean time I will be making a maintence and repair list. Plus I will be patronizing our Corvair venders for parts, tools and reference materials.

My goal for the car is to make it into a reliable daily summer driver (rain or shine).

The first major repair will be the engine - I worked on the engine just before I stored the car. I checked the plugs to see how they looked after a trip though town without the chokes stuck on 3/4 (new choke stats are on the list). Five of the 6 cleaned up great. I also did a compresson test the results are cyl 1-145, 2-135, 3-30, 4-150, 5-90, 6-160. Now I know the cause of the low power drinking smiley

This news doesn't bum me out at all - I now have something to look forward to for spring, I really do enjoy working on these issues - I am lucky this Corvair is a hobby car and not my only vehicle.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Date: December 15, 2012 01:25PM

I'd drive it more before worrying about the low compression. Could be a sticking valve on the low [30] one and stuck rings on the 90. Was there any valve train clattering?

In our FAQ's are links to downloadable / free manuals. Even with hard copies it's always good to have a quick reference.

And the stuck chokes....

disconnect the wire-rod link

1 with throttle held open... is the butterfly free?

2 the Wire rod.... pull up on each and let go... should spring back.... the coils seldom fail.. and the rod gets gummed up in the hole thru the head.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: irvan ()
Date: December 15, 2012 01:34PM

it's a really neat car, congratulations.

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: December 15, 2012 02:40PM

Congrats on your find..

With the low compression - change the oil with 5w30 or 10w30 and drive it some more.

Check the oil before each drive and once it gets dirty - change it and the filter.

Dirve it some more. When ready to check the compression again - take the spring off the throttle and hook it up to hold it wide open. Then redo your compression test.

By then you should have:

Things unstuck and a little cleaner.
Hopefully more balanced reading with high number.
And if any leaks or going to pop up - they should have by now.

Then make that list and knock off each things as you can.

And enjoy.

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: December 15, 2012 03:51PM

Nice vair, congrats!

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: December 15, 2012 04:00PM

Nice looking vair. Good score. I'm normally not a big red fan, but that red-on-red looks really sharp.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Posted by: macavs ()
Date: December 15, 2012 04:31PM

Score 110% on the solid foundation front by Midwest standards! Must have been Southern Indiana. Lacquer over enamel or vise versa always leads too the crazy spider paint thing. A grinder, a $100 worth of sandpaper, and a weekend, will save you thousands when you get to that point.

Mike C ........... Northern Indiana

1965 Corsa In my family for 47 years

Posted by: malibusled ()
Date: December 15, 2012 05:21PM

Congrats, looks like a great car.

Good start, that's for sure.

Ed Bartlett
President - Corsa Ontario Canada
1961 Corvair 95 Rampside 110 4 Speed
1964 Corvair Monza Coupe 110/PG
1964 Corvair Monza Convertible 95 PG
1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 140/4 Speed Conversion - Oshawa Built
Bobcaygeon, ON Canada

Date: December 15, 2012 05:47PM

Thanks for the congrats and good tips. The compression test was done WOT - almost 2 yrs of research pays off smiling smiley

Since both low cylinders are on the same side I am going to pull the head. A sticking valve and or rings makes sense. I am looking forward to the work as mechanical and electrical are my strong points.

With the chokes I currently have them zip tied open. Things are moving freely - it just seems like it would take too much adjustment to get it in the correct range to work properly. It's like they don't come off hardly at all -considering they are right by the exhaust logs.

Any and all comments welcome smileys with beer

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 05:56PM by cad-kid.

Date: December 15, 2012 05:51PM

Chokes.... until you get the engine running on all 6 cylinders....and not running over rich [ cool] the chokes wont open much!

Forget them until you fix the compression...

Also..FIRST.... remove Vavle cover on that side and back off those two cylinder's rocker nuts 1 full turn CCW... and retest...

You cannot imagine how many times valves have been adjust too tight... then the car parked and rots...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 06:08PM by MattNall.

Date: December 15, 2012 05:59PM

Great tip on the valves Matt, Thanks!

I will give that a shot first - no harm in trying.thumbs up

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Posted by: cecilw ()
Date: December 15, 2012 09:18PM

I had a red on red 67 Goat and loved the color combination! Looks like a keeper! Nice. Enjoy I'm looking forward to following your thread.

BEFOREAFTERLost in the 60s...
BEFOREAFTER

Date: December 16, 2012 02:46PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Also..FIRST.... remove Vavle cover on that side
> and back off those two cylinder's rocker nuts 1
> full turn CCW... and retest...
>
>
> You cannot imagine how many times valves have
> been adjust too tight... then the car parked and
> rots...

Matt's idea got me thinking last night. So today since it was a rare December day above freezing I decided to pull out the Corvair from my neighbors garage and start looking at the valves on the passenger side.

I was fortunate that with the current exhaust there was enough room for me to remove the valve cover. Imagine my surprise when I found three rockers loosened up and siting sideways - not even touching the valves! I also found one broken push rod - probably just hit the rocker when it was starting to tilt sideways.

At first, I thought the adjustment nut had backed off or perhaps a valve got stuck in the open position and the rocker just got out of wack. But what I found was the rocker stud had loosend up so eye rolling smiley I decided to check the other remaining studs and they were all about finger tight!

I put things back together (apart from the rocker that mates with the broken push rod). I ran the engine and rechecked the compression- it was zero. I probably have the valve lash too tight but it was time to button things up and put the Corvair away for the rest of the winter.

I am looking forward to working on this problem come spring. Thanks Matt for getting me thinking in a different direction thumbs up

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Attachments:

Date: December 16, 2012 03:17PM

Yup.. either a valve adjust gone bad... or too many cold starts with high revving before the lifters pump up..

Here's some info to remember...

1 Our lifters are Hydraulic..... they are adjusted when the engine is assembled and should NEVER need a re-adjust for the life of the engine assemblage.

Only after replacing Pushrod tube seals or having the head off for some other reason

2 Our engines are Horizontal... and so are the lifters! They Drain easier than a V or inline engine's!! And when using today's thinner oils.. it's even worse!

What many do after the engine has set for more than a few days is to CRANK the engine until the TEMP/ PRESS light goes out...

Then pump the gas pedal / set Chokes...

This not only primes the lifters.. it primes the carbs..... as it seems today's gasolines evap rather quickly!! Even though the Vapor Pressure is higher than ever...

And when you do start an engine and the lifters Clatter..... try not to rev it over 2,000 rpm as you drive it around the block to get the lifters pumped!

We've seen heard of engines taking almost an hour to quiet down after setting for years!

NOTE: even though thinner oils drain faster........ they pump up faster....so most use a CL-4 [ diesel engine oil ] at 10w30 or 15w40

See our FAQ's for complete info on choosing your oil!

Date: December 31, 2012 01:34PM

Tiny update - When I took my relatives to where the car is stored I noticed the gas tank was leaking sad smiley

The next day I jacked up the front end and set up some jack stands. Turns out the sender o-ring was leaking. I siphoned out the gas (used a mity-vac to get the siphon started). Since the leak was spoted early hardly any was wasted on cleaning the concrete. On the plus side I am able to use the gas in my other car .

This gave me a chanec to get a good look at the underside of my vair. I was impressed at the nice original condition - very little rust, nothing really bent out of shape spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Of course the suspension will need to be rebuilt as the rubber is shot but I knew that already.

The o-ring and lock ring will have to wait for warm weather but it should be an easy repair.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.