Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Subaru Info Possible Corvair Use
Posted by: ManxManiac ()
Date: December 12, 2012 03:09AM

I actually searched & did not find this info, if it is here, it is still worth posting again.

Some guys in Australia that are members of the Australian Meyers Manx Dunebuggy Club, have successfully modified a Subaru 5 speed transaxle to fit & work in a VW pan. Of course the VW pans are used to make fiberglass buggies in Australia & the Subaru engine is quite a popular swap. However, the VW transaxles just aren't geared quite right & they don't last as long as a Subaru transaxle. So.... they've come up with a new ring & pinion that turns the wheels in the proper direction when the Subaru transaxle is turned around so the engine is at the rear.
I would think that this would aid in the installation of a Subaru 4 or 6 cylinder engine into a Corvair. Prices are not cheap, but they're not that bad either.
Anyway, check it out....

Have Fun, Fun, Fun... ManxManiac

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Subaru Info Possible Corvair Use
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 12, 2012 03:23AM

you forgot to use my name!! ggg We've been waiting for you to buy and install one! or the url subarugears.com You'll learn!!!

Thanks though!

[corvaircenter.com]

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: December 12, 2012 03:36AM

I put it in, but it didn't come up.

[www.subarugears.com]

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 12, 2012 03:41AM

Now that is really cool! It would probably still be cheaper and cleaner than the T5 swap that AmericanBoxer had.

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: December 12, 2012 04:29AM

The flaw here is that the Subaru engines turn in the same direction as VW engines, making them ideal for a rear-install in a VW but "backwards" for a rear install in a Corvair.

Date: December 12, 2012 05:07AM

Not when using a Subie engine! ggg

There are no commercial adapters for Vair to subie trans!!

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: December 12, 2012 12:43PM

I'm considering a mid engine Subaru swap in my crown car. I'm just too dam big to drive it as is. A late model Subaru swap seems a little less caveman than a toro transaxle. The main barrier to entry for me is cost.

Date: December 12, 2012 02:46PM

A Subaru 5 speed transaxle setup with the reverse-cut R&P probably wouldn't be too difficult to mount in a Corvair, then install a late model Subaru 3.0 6 cylinder engine, mount a radiator up front & I bet it would be real FUN FUN FUN!!! Trick out the Corvair's suspension & you've got the best of both worlds... the awesome looks of the Corvair with modern drivetrain! Sounds like a "win-win" situation to me!
Now... where did I bury that big jar of money??? gggg

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: December 12, 2012 03:33PM

OK, so what is the big deal about having a s Corvair to Subaru transaxle made?
Could it be similar to the Crown adapter for Corvair VW, or ??
Cold one of the Crown ones be a basis for making one, by adding a matching aluminum plate or ring?
Has any physical or measurement research been done?
Comments please

Bob C
Dobson, NC
Zip 27017
1965 Maroon Monza "110" 4 speed Autocrosser
1965 Corsa Conv Street/ Track/ Show car with semi-cage
1966 Corvair Crown 327 V8 4 speed w/ AC [under active restoration]
YS 172 SCCA GT3 semi tube frame road racer
El Lobo tube frame all Corvair Street Buggy [ resting comfortably, needs engine ]
Manx lookalike Buggy , EM Corvair rear suspension/ VW bug front suspension -RUNS !!
Daily drivers : E250 Ford window van w/ built 460, 2005 VW GTI 1.8T
And a few other toys

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: December 12, 2012 03:50PM

streblerm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A late model Subaru swap seems a little less caveman than a toro transaxle.

Ouch!

I know I'm a caveman with my Toro Corvair but I am tring to get out of the stone age by doing a modern FWD swap like the Subie mentioned.

I have little desire to keep the Corvair diff and tranny as part of the solution. If I go to the trouble to do a modern engine swap I want an automatic with maybe paddle shifting or a manual with more gears plus overdrive from long trips on the freeway.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Monza Sedan 110 PG
65 Monza Sedan 110 4-speed w/A/C
65 Monza Sedan 140 PG w/A/C
65 Monza Coupe 110 4-speed w/A/C

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: December 12, 2012 04:31PM

..one of the things I've dragged home from the "shopping mall" is an older Subie AT diff section..it looks like the bellhsg will unbolt to access the ring/pinion,and a rough measurement puts the hollow shaft C/L and the lower pinion? shaft at 3.5" C-C..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Attachments:

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: December 12, 2012 05:09PM

Well the Subarugears website noted that a VW to Subaru adapter was on it's way. There are lots of RR Corvair engines out there with the Corvair to VW adapters already on them . . . would most likely need to come up with a flywheel.

T. Kalp
Wichita, KS

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: December 12, 2012 06:33PM

ManxManiac Wrote:
> A Subaru 5 speed transaxle setup with the
> reverse-cut R&P probably wouldn't be too difficult
> to mount in a Corvair, then install a late model
> Subaru 3.0 6 cylinder engine, mount a radiator up
> front & I bet it would be real FUN FUN FUN!!!
> Trick out the Corvair's suspension & you've got
> the best of both worlds... the awesome looks of
> the Corvair with modern drivetrain! Sounds like a
> "win-win" situation to me!
> Now... where did I bury that big jar of money???
> gggg

3.0? Nahhhhh. I had all kinds of info on these engines and swaps, I don't have any of it on my new computer. WRX 2.0 turbo can easily put out nearly 500hp. Dependably too I might ad.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Date: December 12, 2012 06:58PM

As I understand it, Subaru didn't turbo their 6 cylinder, as it was just plain crazy powerful, so they decided to just FI it. I've talked to a couple guys that did turbo their Subaru 6 cylinder engines that are in their lwb Meyers Manxters (f/g buggy) & one of them did a chassis dyno somewhere in the San Diego area & supposedly it was putting a little over 500 hp to the ground with only 6 lbs of boost!

I brought up the Subaru transaxle/6 cylinder engine as a viable swap into a Corvair! A newer 5 speed transaxle that would hold up to the hp/torque of even a hot Corvair engine! Instead of a up to 50+ year old Corvair transaxle, a late model one that is fairly easy to find parts for & it is really strong/tough!

A reverse-rotation Corvair mated up to a Subaru transaxle might be an "IF" right now & if/when they finish their VW engine to a Subaru transaxle adapter, then that "IF" becomes very possible!

These ideas are not for the purist, but for the dreamer that loves a Corvair's styling & has always wanted a great shifting 5 speed with that extra gear for cruising, whether there is a reverse rotation Corvair or a 6 cyl. Subaru hanging out back!
If I could only find that jar! ggg

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: December 12, 2012 07:19PM

Or get some more reverse rotation r&p's made and use the vair diff, suspension, etc. Yeah, ya need an input shaft, or possibly mod one. But the r&p's have been done and Richmond Gear could make more. Put heater core right where blower motor already is....should be simple, right?

Would love to do one though.

Rocco

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: December 13, 2012 12:47AM

AFAIK Subaru never put a manual transmission on the recent 3.0 or 3.6l H6 engine. Not saying it couldn't be done. Just Subaru hasn't done it. Would be nice to have a 4 or 5 speed automatic to use in a Corvair though.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA President
Somewhere near St. Elizabeth, MO which is Between Jefferson City and Lake of the Ozarks
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: December 13, 2012 02:40PM

azdave Wrote:
> streblerm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A late model Subaru swap seems a little less
> caveman than a toro transaxle.
>
> Ouch!
>
> I know I'm a caveman with my Toro Corvair but I am
> tring to get out of the stone age by doing a
> modern FWD swap like the Subie mentioned.
>
> I have little desire to keep the Corvair diff and
> tranny as part of the solution. If I go to the
> trouble to do a modern engine swap I want an
> automatic with maybe paddle shifting or a manual
> with more gears plus overdrive from long trips on
> the freeway.

No offense meant. A 4sp '80s toro transaxle with a 4.3 V6 is pretty high on my list of possible powertrains. Cavemen unite!

Posted by: Roger Gault ()
Date: December 19, 2012 04:21AM

I'm re-building an old Fiberfab Avenger kit car which is currently unpowered by an dead 102hp Corvair mated to a '65 trans. I was going to use my 3.6L Corvair motor, but I fell in love with the Subaru 3.3L from the SVX and sold the Corvair motor.

As stated, these motors turn the "wrong" way for a Corvair (and the Corvair trans would die a horrible death from 240 lb-ft of torque). There are a few options from the Porsche 911 transaxels. For the relatively brave non-racers, the 915 trans from the 1970's 911s will work. For the more cash flush and conservative, there's the G50 from the later 911s. There's also a G35, but my Porsche friends don't like it much.

I'm using the 915. It will take the torque from the stock Subaru EG33 if you don't act like I did when I was a kid.

Kennedy Eng. makes adaptors. Adaptor and flywheel = $580 + clutch, + starter + lots of stuff.

The problem is the Corvair suspension. The P box is not designed to take side loads through the half-shafts. So, I'll have to build upper control arms and their required mounting points. Oh, then there's throttle, gearshift, clutch, etc. controls. Re-wiring the ECU (ODB-1), etc. Trivial problems all LOL.

Porsche 915 trans = $1000 raw, $2500 or so rebuilt
EG33 engine, ECU, wiring harness, etc. = maybe $1500. I found a transmission dead, ugly '94 SVX for $1000 as my donor.

There are a lot of these engines going into VW Vanagans, so there's a lot of info on line.

Cheers,
Roger

Posted by: Vairforce1 ()
Date: December 19, 2012 11:11PM

Image a Vair with this Subaru EG33 in it - worth the effort just for the exhaust note!

[www.youtube.com]

Dave

Date: December 19, 2012 11:30PM

That is HP!

This is MUSIC!! gg

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.