Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: October 23, 2012 07:43AM

I plan to upgrade the dash speaker to either a dual voice coil speaker or dual speakers like Clark's offers (or a homemade version of that). Also plan to upgrade to AM FM stereo before the car is back on the road next Spring. I have searched threads and read up on speakers and radios recommended and want to get at least two more speakers in the car for stereo.

I have ruled out adding more speakers under the dash or in the fresh air vents. That seems to leave two options: in the front door panels - preferably toward the front of the panel - or in the lower section of the rear arm rest. Radio and sound performance in a convertible is never optimal, even with the top up, so adding four speakers just doesn't seem worth the effort or cost.

It would seem that I would get somewhat better sound and quality with door speakers placed toward the front of the door? The backside of the rear arm rest area is open to the well where the convertible frame is, so I cannot imagine speakers there would be effective, unless I can enclose the back of the speaker.

So, front door panels or rear arm rest? Or, other better options?

Any photos of speakers installed in door panels or rear arm rest would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: ripsawyer ()
Date: October 23, 2012 08:11AM

Initially, I two 4 inch Kenwood speakers in the dash, which sounded ok, then I added two 6 1/4 Infinity speakers just below the rear armrests, which improved the sound quality significantly; even with the top down at highway speeds.

1964 Monza Vert
Rip Sawyer

Eugene,OR




Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: ripsawyer ()
Date: October 23, 2012 09:44PM

I mis-spoke in my earlier post; the Infinity speakers are in the dash and the Kenwoods are in the rear. Here are a couple of pics of the Kenwood speakers mounted in the rear armrest.



Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: SwedishVair ()
Date: October 23, 2012 09:57PM

The best setup of speakers I have had (and I have tried a few) is with tweeters in the kick panelsdirected towards the centerpoint of the car and with a pair of box speakers under the front seats. There is actually space for them there.
Recently I also added an active subwoofer under the rear seat. It's a very thin onea little over 2" in height.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"

-64 convertible since -89.....-61 Rampside since -12

The vert is now 54 years old, most of them in Sweden with me and the missus as owners.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: October 24, 2012 07:30AM

Thanks Guys.

With the dual voice coil in the dash, I might add a 1 inch tweeter near the top of each kick panel, and speakers in each rear arm rest.

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: teermin8r ()
Date: March 03, 2018 04:13PM

So what did you end up doing? I am looking for speaker location for my 64 convertible.

Chris Teer
Central Oklahoma Corvair Association member

1964 Candy Violet Spyder convertible
1965 Bug Green Monza coupe
[www.facebook.com]
[www.cokcca.org]


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 03, 2018 06:09PM

Almost never does anyone ride in the back of my convertible, I have two 6x9 speaker in wedge style boxes just sitting in the floor behind the seats, actually sounds decent.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 03, 2018 10:17PM

moomba32 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Almost never does anyone ride in the back of my
> convertible, I have two 6x9 speaker in wedge style
> boxes just sitting in the floor behind the seats,
> actually sounds decent.


How are they secured? Bolted to the floor or the seat or what?

I like excellent stereo in my cars. On my last early convertible I put 2 speakers in the lower front doors (measure... a pretty good size speaker will fit there) and 2 speakers in the rear arm rests.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: March 04, 2018 05:16AM

I bought these EM front speaker mounts here on the forum while back. They are still sitting in my garage in the box. I will likely never install them b/c I am running a Bose bluetooth speaker in the car which I am happy with.

If you want them send me a PM and we can make a deal.

[corvaircenter.com]

Nick
_______________________________________________________________________
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 04, 2018 10:14AM

TerribleTed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> moomba32 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Almost never does anyone ride in the back of my
> > convertible, I have two 6x9 speaker in wedge
> style
> > boxes just sitting in the floor behind the
> seats,
> > actually sounds decent.
>
>
> How are they secured? Bolted to the floor or the
> seat or what?
>
> I like excellent stereo in my cars. On my last
> early convertible I put 2 speakers in the lower
> front doors (measure... a pretty good size speaker
> will fit there) and 2 speakers in the rear arm
> rests.
They aren't, I put them there until I came up with something else and kind of like them, I recovered the boxes with vinyl that flows with my car, may change them at some point but it's way down the list right now. I have taken them out once to use the back seat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaker placement opinions: '64 Convertible
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 04, 2018 03:04PM

moomba32 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TerribleTed Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > moomba32 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Almost never does anyone ride in the back of
> my
> > > convertible, I have two 6x9 speaker in wedge
> > style
> > > boxes just sitting in the floor behind the
> > seats,
> > > actually sounds decent.
> >
> >
> > How are they secured? Bolted to the floor or
> the
> > seat or what?
> >
> > I like excellent stereo in my cars. On my last
> > early convertible I put 2 speakers in the lower
> > front doors (measure... a pretty good size
> speaker
> > will fit there) and 2 speakers in the rear arm
> > rests.
> They aren't, I put them there until I came up with
> something else and kind of like them, I recovered
> the boxes with vinyl that flows with my car, may
> change them at some point but it's way down the
> list right now. I have taken them out once to use
> the back seat.

Better tie them down as they could become projectiles in a crash.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.