Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FC Parking Lite Tip Wanted!
Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: September 16, 2012 04:52PM

Hello goes anyone have a good tip on how to make the front parking lites brighter on a FC, Tried small led strips and they didnt fill the area like i wanted!Thks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FC Parking Lite Tip Wanted!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 16, 2012 05:01PM

You have to be creative...

Find some Halogen Fog / driving lights that will fit the original bezel..

Just like radios... make it fit!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 16, 2012 05:55PM

Mine are pretty bright simply by cleaning both grounds real well (on the body, on the buckets, the screws, and the wires) and I like the "brite bulbs" sold by Clarks and probably other vendors.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 16, 2012 06:36PM

Of coarse the problem with EM type TS lamps is the bulb is down in a hole at one end of the lens. The large flat area behind the lens can be painted white or covered with wrinkled chrome Mylar and work much better even with the standar bulb. Some "Bright bulbs" are brighter on the park filament but not on the TS filament, so the increase of brightness of the brake/TS are less noticeable. Maybe there are better ones available now.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 16, 2012 07:07PM

Brite bulbs would be an option. You might need an HD flasher & I wouldn't run 'em if you've rewired for "always-on" parking lights.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: September 16, 2012 07:19PM

ok guys parts are all new, ground and new bulbs are 2357, and behind the amber lens i can only get the light bulb area to light up, the rest is dark and i have not painted behind the len yet with bright white , since i have a gasket there , so i might try the mylar tape over the gray gasket thks

Posted by: hullinger ()
Date: September 17, 2012 06:50AM

If you're interested, I'll make you a rockin deal on these add-on lamps that are surprisingly bright. You would need to drill three mounting holes as well as a fourth hole for the wiring.

Chris

Attachments:
Date: September 10, 2018 07:39PM

Hello,Did anyone figure out how to lite up the complete Fc front parking lite, if so please post picture and how you did it, thks

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 10, 2018 08:00PM

LEDS!!

JDM Astars

[hippingMethodStandard!97420!US!-1&vxp=mtr" rel="nofollow" >www.ebay.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 12, 2018 04:03PM

Yes. There are short LED light bars that stick to flat surfaces. But they would male a lighted bar of lite. Individual LED's are available with small sockets and could be added to fill the lens area.

I kinda think that so many vintage cars had lights that were basically an afterthought. Like FC driving tail lights!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: aircooled6 ()
Date: September 13, 2018 11:09AM

I've often looked at those lamps and wondered what might work for this. I thought about, maybe a piece of plexiglas trimmed to the right size with a hole for the bulb, then somehow scoring the plexi so that it would take the light from the bulb and reflect off the scoring and through the unlit part of the orange or white lense.
I'm sure many of you have seen signs or clock faces that did something like this. I just dont know if I have the talent/patience to ever get around to trying this.
Alternatively, a piece of plexi with lots of holes drilled in it with leds glued in place to create a light source in the non-bulb area of the housing.
That might work better than the strip leds.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
(Now, South of 820!!)
64 Greenbrier 110 with 95 heads/PG

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: September 13, 2018 12:43PM

Try it out, Everett. Let us know. An alternative would be to take a larger front plastic lens, already formed for the reflective ridges, and cut it to fit the shape of the Corvair housing with a few LEDS underneath. Considering that the original post was from 2012, we should be a little further along by now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.