Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
what is this corvair worth?
Posted by: jboymechanic ()
Date: June 27, 2012 09:40PM

Looking into purchasing this corvair, is this a fair price? The floors are solid but there is some rust in the rockers and rear wheel wells. Car is mechanically solid and is ready to drive. Thoughts? This would be my first Corvair, just want to make sure I don't pay too much.

[madison.craigslist.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what is this corvair worth?
Posted by: LesH ()
Date: June 27, 2012 09:44PM

Looks like way too much rust to even consider unless it's just on the surface (unlikely).

Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: June 27, 2012 10:09PM

It's hard to tell from the pictures. I would want to jack up the car and really look underneath. There can be allot more rust than you see. You really need to check for rust hole that were filled with bondo. You can use a magnet. 2700 is not crazy high, but if it's rusted out it may not be worth it. Rust is tougher to deal with that mechcanics.

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: June 27, 2012 10:40PM

Wonder if the rocker and wheel-well trim was removed because of the rusting? Have to check the trunk bottom "inside" and also the floors under the carpet.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 28, 2012 12:25AM

If it drives nicely.. offer $1500... even in your area!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: June 28, 2012 01:04AM

If it was in my area and I thought I could deal with the rust, I would do 1500, if it was a runner.

Jim O'Connor
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd

Date: June 28, 2012 12:46PM

From what the owner says the rust is pretty much surface only, he's owned the car for 19 years and a friend of his owned it for 5 years before that, never driven in the winter all those years so hoping it has survived well. I hope to check it out in early July, he is 4 hours from me so I wanted to have an idea what to offer before I drive up there. Thanks for the input.

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: June 28, 2012 01:13PM

"Surface rust" is almost always more than skin deep and that's definitely the case with the wheelwell rust on this car (I can't see enough of the rockers). The only except to the "more than skin deep" statement is a car that's been sitting in the hot desert sun and all the paint has been baked off.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: June 28, 2012 01:18PM

Check under the rockers and the wheel wells to see if the bottom is rusted out. If it is, run!

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: '66Monza ()
Date: June 28, 2012 02:07PM

Take the chrome door sills off to check for rust under there. I agree with others here. It is very doubtful that if this car is a north-midwest car that it doesn't have cancer coming up from below. You need to get underneat it and really check the floorboards and tunnel area.

Kurt
'66 Monza
110 4sp

Pittsburgh,Pa.

'66 Chevrolet Monza, Cleopatra in the drivewaySmall Corvair RF

Date: July 09, 2012 04:59PM

Planning on looking at this Corvair this weekend, what do you think about this one's price?

[appleton.craigslist.org]

Posted by: GenXVairNut ()
Date: July 09, 2012 05:04PM

looks solid and orig. really hard to tell with those distant shots. see it in person inspect carefully. if it runs well and doesn't smoke id say a pretty fair deal.

Posted by: dedwinson ()
Date: July 09, 2012 06:49PM

$3K might be a bit high.

Dave Edwinson
Doing Vairly well in Minnesota
'66 Vert 140HP
www.frontiernet.net/~dedwinson

Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: July 09, 2012 07:17PM

Rear springs and shocks are bad. Possible all of the rubber parts of the suspension are shot and need to be replaced. Also looks like the rear passenger side was hit by the ] trim.

On a vert, make sure there is no rust and no bondo.

Milwaukee, Wi

CORSA Webmaster: About | Chapters | Vendors | Events | Ads | Registry | Store
CCCC Webmaster
MCC Newsletter Editor - Now on Facebook!

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: July 09, 2012 07:20PM

If it's a straight, solid vert chassis with only cosmetic rust issues and minimal parking lot dents it would be a great starting point to drive or restore.
Don't let a few hundred dollars either way make you pass up a fair deal on a good solid chassis. How much would it cost to repair rust or prior collision damage on another car that might be selling for $1500 less? Way more than $1500 for sure.

It's Craigs List. Offer $2500 after you have looked it over good.

I hate to deal with buyers who make low offers on cars that they haven't even seen yet. I get the best deals when I show up on time and have cash in hand, ready to take possession that day.

Be sure it has a clean title in the seller's name too. I've bought several cars lately with title issues but the price was reduced quite a bit for me to take on the hassle of getting the titles corrected. I buy with a bill of sale and get the titles myself. Sellers rarley follow through on promises to get a clear title after you have given up the full amount of cash.

In one case I withheld $500 from the payment price until I had a clean title in hand three months later. I brought the car home with a bill of sale knowing I could part it out if things went wrong and the proper title could not be secured. It cost me about $100 to get the title so as agreed, the seller got the balance of $400 after I had the car in my name.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Monza Sedan 110 PG
65 Monza Sedan 110 4-speed w/A/C
65 Monza Sedan 140 PG w/A/C
65 Monza Coupe 110 4-speed w/A/C

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 07:22PM by azdave.

Date: July 09, 2012 08:35PM

I think the real question is " Is it worth looking at?" You can't tell much from one sentence and a few pictures. I would look at that one. I bring cash, but I don't talk money till after I look at the car a decide if I even want it.

Jim O'Connor
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd

Posted by: Duane1967 ()
Date: July 09, 2012 10:29PM

Wouldn't it be nice if we could question and 2nd guess the value of the parts we buy from our Corvair Parts vendors. It amazes me how so many people are only willing to pay sometimes $500 to $1500 for a good running/looking car, but the same people will send a vendor $8.00 for a bolt, or several hundreds, if not over $1,000 for interior parts and rubber gaskets.

The reason Camaros and Chevelles might bring so much money, is the people that want them still have enough years left in their life to drive the supply and demand to a point where those cars have value. So many Corvair owners, or widows of Corvair owners give away their projects and keep the supply of complete cars/ and or partially finished projects so under valued. I know they made 1.8 million or so Corvairs. I know.

It's almost like the foreclosure and short sale market of homes, forcing down the prices of others homes, with the biggest exception being that Corvairs have never been over priced.

I'm not saying it should necessarily be any different, but I think we are our own worse enemy in controlling prices on these cars.

Remember the last time you made a Clark's order, what you paid for the things you got? Are these the same people who only want to pay $500 for a nice running 63 Monza with a dented corner?

Duane
1967 500 Coupe
Folsom, CA (Sacramento suburb)

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: July 10, 2012 02:09AM

I agree Duane. Lets face it in the Real market Corvairs are going up in value. I for one know how much it is going to cost to finish restoring mine. 3k+ for the motor unless I patch it up with used parts, 6k for body and paint, unless I want to fill it up with bondo and spray paint (not!) Now that would be around 10k just for the resto if I paid for someone to do all of it and not including my time. All that to be told that a fully restored 66 Corsa 140 4spd, with quick steer is only worth 5K and I could get maybe a little more if i throw in a wooden steering wheel.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 10, 2012 02:35AM

I agree with both of you! Especialy how corvair guys are their own worst enemy when it comes to selling Cars! If that Corvair was a Camaro,,it would be going for 10-15 grand easy in that unfinished condition and Probly more,,Its like selling parts,,I post something at a great deal that is sand blasted and like new and cheaper than the vendors sell a just "OK" part for,,and will get a bunch of,,it cost to much,,but out of every 10 complainers will eventualy get the guy that says,,"I want it! great deal thanks!!" And the vendors know this as well and stick to their guns with selling parts,,Ya I get Good deals on vairs in my Area,,rust free,,BUT,,they all need to be completely restored and are full of rats and desert critters and none have a interior to speak of,,It does take alot of money and time/work to get one back to great condition, I and you and everyone else should at least be able to break even on selling one,,like the other old car guys do,,And its OK to find a Great deal on a car,,but the nice ones are harder and harder to find any more,,so A "KEEPER" should bring a few $$$ JMHO smoking smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead
Visit My web site(Under Construction)
Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
I AM THE GRIM REAPER FOR OLD CARS!
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: July 10, 2012 02:47AM

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I just want to make sure I don't over pay assuming the car is in good condition. I did speak to the owner and he did say it was an older restoration and the car is ready to drive away. I'm no stranger to old cars, I just sold a '58 Belvedere and I'm also restoring a '56 Imperial coupe. I just have no concept of the Corvair market, but $3000 for a solid running and driving classic convertible seems more than fair to me. And unlike my old mopars, parts are plentiful and cheap by comparison. I plan to see the car on this SUnday and intend to bring cash incase the car is as good as he says it is.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.