Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
65 500 4dr parts
Posted by: Ben Guider ()
Date: June 19, 2012 08:21PM

I'm trying to revive my 1965 Corvair 500 it was given to me by my grandfather and I need to find original parts. Right now I'm on a strict budget and in need of interior parts I want to find something similar to the orig. rubber flooring if anybody has any ideas that would be great

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 65 500 4dr parts
Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: June 19, 2012 08:51PM

Hello Ben,

Unless you can find an original 500 model from an arid area, it is not likely that you will a rubber floor carpet. Most of the 500 models from more humid climates and especially the salt belt lost their floors within 3-8 years of normal driving, then most of these cars were scrapped out. A lot of the owners of remaining 500 models removed the rubber flooring long ago and replaced it with carpet to help preserve the floor metal. I have considered some possible substitutes: 1) Use plain molded black loop carpet as is, 2) Enhance #1 by applying heel pads at all four seating positions, 3) Enhance #2 by masking the heal pads and sprying bed liner to the carpet surface to simulate the original rubber.

I am in a better situation than you as my '67 500 4-door still has its original rubber carpet, but it is brittle and in multiple pieces in some areas. I think I can save it with patience, glue and bed liner as reinforcement from the back side.

What color is the interior of your car?

Good luck!

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Posted by: Ben Guider ()
Date: June 19, 2012 08:54PM

mine is red the floor is still there but ripped and brittle thanks btw

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: June 20, 2012 09:49AM

Best I could find for ya. [minneapolis.craigslist.org]

Posted by: Leon Renaud ()
Date: June 20, 2012 06:05PM

NAPA auto parts sells heavy duty rubber floor mats that cover the entire floor in pick up cabs 2 of these would cover your Corvair floors with some trimming won't be original but would be close.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.