Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Diesel Motorhome, What To buy Under $25000(?)
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: June 01, 2012 02:06AM

I'm thinking I'd like to try a motorhome instead of a new hotel every nite, especially at close to $100 per nite!

I've seen prices from $15k to $150K!

[sfbay.craigslist.org]

I was thinking maybe a Dummins (Dodge) pickup with a slide in would be good enuff...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Diesel Motorhome, What To buy Under $25000(?)
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 01, 2012 02:27AM

Interesting piece! I'd try that one.. bet he'll take $10k

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: June 01, 2012 02:30AM

I bet alot of them have rotten OSB, manufactured wood. Better to buy one in Phoenix or San Diego... Hmmm... I have a car dealer friend in SD...

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 01, 2012 04:41AM

Treks have two problems... Elecro-Magic bed = you have to stop and lower the bed from the ceiling every time you want a nap & they're underpowered by... drum roll... the dreaded 6.5 Gm diesel. Carry a spare PMD, a couple of glow plugs, and a crankshaft wherever you go!

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)
64 GB -CrUnChEd (donor)

20 Tons of parts in boxes

Posted by: owen ()
Date: June 01, 2012 11:14AM

1991-1994 Treks are actually underpowered by extremely reliable Isuzu diesel engines. 1995 and later used GM engines, both diesel and gas versions were available.

Posted by: afragasr ()
Date: June 01, 2012 12:20PM

You could also try renting some before you decide on which one you prefer.
I see quite a few with for sale signs, and I'm not looking. They are not going anywhere.
Patience pays.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 01, 2012 01:04PM

I've been at this since I retired 7 years ago. I've logged more than 60K miles. I started witha 96 Bounder. I was sure I wanted a Diesel Pusher when I started. I went with gas because of the initial price, and to see if I would like it, we did , a lot.. It was a 454 Vortec. My now newer is an 03 Bounder with an 8.1 and an Allison. It has all the power you would ever want, 340 hp, runs a 2100, 2200 rpm while cruising. With the price of Diesel fuel, the new gassers cost about the same to run. I get right around 8 mpg when towing. Fords will not do that. It cost over $100 just to change oil in a big RV diesel, that's doing it yourself. The old front engine diesel's got great milage, but were noisy, had no power and road rough. If you look at anything older than mid 90's the roof is probaly shot, the rubber suspention parts are gone, the fridge is about done for, the interior is about ready to go from UV even if it looks good now. Take a look at some newer Chevy gasser's before you decide. LOOK closely at the tire DOT date code. Your looking at $2 grand for tires if they are more than 6 years old, even if they look greatr. As always your choice. There are always some nice gasser Bounders on sale on the Bounder group, in your price range.

J.O.

Date: June 01, 2012 01:33PM

WOW!!! This's always a great place for answers!

J.O... Great advice. I need new tires for my lite duty pickup, and they're $1000. No reason a MH shouldn't be double that. There's no place near me that sells motorhomes, just tow behind 5th wheels.

Bounder? never heard of them, I'll take a looky!

I had a Toronado front drive MH sitting in the side yard for 10 years, and I'm not the type to get to things, so sounds like I need something turnkey.

I can't see the market getting heated up, so sounds like a buyers paradise?

Date: June 01, 2012 01:45PM

J.O... Can I get more info? I looked at one w a Ford 460... Bet it gets 3mpg. I know they're all basically made with the cheapest/lightest material, and notoriously leak water, and rot!

I looked at Holiday Rambler and a few others, but don't know if I need a 34 footer!

I looked at the club forum, but there were ZERO pix... So I found some at dealers web sites...

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 01, 2012 07:27PM

[autos.groups.yahoo.com]

Sign into this group, great guys just like here. Bounder's are the first real Class A motor home. There are more Bounders on the road than any other single make.

You can look at Ebay to get a cost idea and see what's out there.

They started in the late 80's come in big chevy, 7.4 8.1, Ford 460 and V 10, also a variety of Diesels. Mine is a 2003 37' with one slide. I tow a 97 Avenger on a dolly or/ and a dirt bike.

Look at the 8.1 with Alison if it's in your budget, next 96/99 7.4 Vortec.

[www.ebay.com]

You really need to watch prices, I got this over three years ago for a great price, only 12K miles. There are many selling for more today than what I payed back then..

J.O.

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: June 02, 2012 03:58PM

Lets see.Old motorhome ownership.Crappy gas mileage,plumbing leaks,electrical gremlins.2,000 sets of tires.1000 dollar brake jobs.leaking roof seams.Rotten plywood floors.Oil and transmission leaks.Constant cooling system problems.Finding anyone competent to do the repairs that you can not do.Finding anyone that will not charge you astronomical prices for work done badly or not at all.Finding anyone that can tow it away when it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.After you find a tow provider,finding anyone in the middle of nowhere to work on it as most RV centers will not touch anything more than 5-10 years old.Finding a place to park or store it.Finding a campground that charges less than 40=60 bucks to park it for the night.Hooking up power/sewer/water once you get it parked for the night.Dumping the poop after the tank is full.Fixing leaking/cracked holding tanks.Looking for the power cord adaptor plug at 10 oclock at night that you need to plug in to the fuse panel at the campground to have power.(I thought for sure I put it in the glovebox).Listening to the 8,000 watt generator running in your neighbors campsite all night.Listening to the same neighbors dog barking all night and then stepping in the poop the next morning.The 100 a night for the Holiday Inn seems like a bargain to me.

Date: June 02, 2012 05:27PM

I guess that's why folks park at the local WW

Posted by: YenkoYS-100 ()
Date: June 02, 2012 06:41PM

Just get one of those truck roof tent jobs and put it on top of your Sobourbon, and..........park at any WalMart you happen to be around. Hey....Cheap investment, and always free camping. You can clean up in their bathroom.

I had another brainstorm........but it requires some effort and thought. Go find a "Mini-Winnie", "Tioga", or any similiar Toyota "Mini-Motorhome". These gotta be cheep, especially if a non-runner. Go and buy a 4BT Cummins, and "A- daptor kit" (Johnny Cash one piece at a time), to put your favorite GM auto-trans behind it. Gear the rearend right, and WahLaa......40+ mpg diesel powered motorhome. You will have sooooo much money left over from $25,000, that you will be able to outfit everything you own with NEW NON-RECAP TIRES.

Check HotRod magazine from a couple of months ago, to see a green hot-rod with a 4BT in it. He drove it all over and had plenty o power and killer MPG's.

I gotta cut this short or I'm going to look like someone who goes on & on & on. GGGGGGG
I have to rough it in this thing:

Rick

Date: June 02, 2012 08:22PM

I can't take on anymore projects! My Spyder is waiting for it's new diffy to be installed! Syracuse Recall is coming up!!!!!!

Posted by: YenkoYS-100 ()
Date: June 02, 2012 08:27PM

UGLYTRUK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't take on anymore projects! My Spyder is
> waiting for it's new diffy to be installed!
> Syracuse Recall is coming up!!!!!!

Ok. Caveat Emptor!

Good luck Andrew!
Rick

Date: June 02, 2012 08:55PM

Switch to Motel 6's... and save!!! ggg

Date: June 02, 2012 09:06PM

Just resereved 4 nites near Laconia Bike Week... $500...

Date: June 02, 2012 09:06PM

A fool and his $$$ are easily parted.................... gggggg

Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: June 02, 2012 11:21PM

I always loved the vintage bus conversions, but with the price of fuel it's not a very pactical way to travel.

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

Date: June 02, 2012 11:37PM

IMO

Unless a person has a phobia of sleeping in strange beds....get a motel.

I've had 3 MH's... all for use when going places there are NO accommodations nearby.

I went from sleeping on the ground to a trailer to a MH... and refuse to go back!! ggg

Friends kids came up from San Diego last summer pulling a Toybox with a buggy and 4 quads.... stayed at the dunes... towed with a big Ford Diesel PU.

Next time they'll haul the vehicles quads up on an open trailer and motel it..or hang out here...

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.