Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Replacement body panels
Posted by: Dave G ()
Date: May 12, 2012 12:52PM

My 64 convert has a rust hole on both sides in the rear 1/4 panels. From what I can see the outer metal had holes that a po mudded over. There doesn't seem to be any rust on the inner metal. I am planning on repainting it this summer or fall. The body man I talked to said that I should find replacement metal. Found a NOS 1/4 panel about 50 miles away. The seller is asking $500 for it. What are 1/4 panels selling for? Is there a big difference between NOS and the ones Clark's sell. I am not a welder. The rest of this car is solid and rust free. What have others done to fix holes in rear 1/4?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacement body panels
Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: May 12, 2012 01:01PM

IMHO when you are doing a repair NOS panels are not worth 1 penny more than a reproduction part. The car is already damaged and unless it is a very very special car that is going to be concourse only there is no reason to buy NOS body panels. I just use sheet metal for most patches but if they are bad and difficult to match, I would buy some used or reproduction panels. As far as welding no real difference.

1965 Monza road race build, 1965 Corsa Convertible, 1962 Corvan, 1964 Rampside, 1965 Toronado conversion.
[www.facebook.com] C.O.G. Page
Allen Amrine Colorado Springs, CO. 303-325-5968

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: May 12, 2012 01:56PM

I have 1/4's for sale cheaper,,do you need in front or behind the wheels? I have a EM car cut up already and probly have every part your looking for,,what is your location? Email pics of the parts you need replaced and will see what I can do for you? thumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead
Visit My web site(Under Construction)
Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
I AM THE GRIM REAPER FOR OLD CARS!
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: May 12, 2012 01:58PM

I have purchased panels from Dave and they are great and he treats you right.

1965 Monza road race build, 1965 Corsa Convertible, 1962 Corvan, 1964 Rampside, 1965 Toronado conversion.
[www.facebook.com] C.O.G. Page
Allen Amrine Colorado Springs, CO. 303-325-5968

Posted by: Dave G ()
Date: May 12, 2012 03:44PM

I will take pictures this weekend. The rusted area is in front of the rear wheels on the driver's and passenger side, on the lower edge where it attatches the bottom of the car. I should take a sander to the area and see just how much bondo is there. Thanks for the input!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.