Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
O/T: Resonators vs. Mufflers
Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: May 12, 2012 06:27AM

Resonators vs. Mufflers? What was the purpose of the resonator? Was it to change the sound of the car to make them sound throatier or was it to cancel out more noise after going through the muffler?

Was this a "freer" flowing exhaust system that say a quieter more restrictive muffler/exhaust?

Marco Padilla - Realtor BRE#01944189

Century 21 Crest
1501 West Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91506
213-272-3239 Cell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: O/T: Resonators vs. Mufflers
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 12, 2012 02:48PM

The later!!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: May 12, 2012 09:06PM

Resonators should actually be called anti-resonators since their function is to reduce exhaust resonance.Most do not add significant restriction.

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Posted by: lowandslow ()
Date: May 13, 2012 12:55AM

Years ago I had a '68 Buick Wildcat that was an ex-Missouri Highway patrol car with a 430 ci V8. When the mufflers went I installed glaspacks and removed the resonators-too loud, so I re-installed the resonators and wound up with the sweetest sounding exhaust I've ever heard on any car.

Patrick McGhee
1963 Spyder convertible
Weatherford, Texas

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: May 13, 2012 06:11AM

My Mustang has a resonator where the muffler is supposed to be. There was a small muffler on the end, but it was broken off when I got the car. I extended the exhaust pipe and added a tip instead of replacing the muffler. It sounds kind of like a jet boat. It's louder than the stock setup, but not loud. I like it.

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.