home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: hands wheels info from Rick Loving
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: March 17, 2014 04:42PM

Welcome Don!!! smileys with beer I too have a '62 spyder. here's my rims, I found them real nice used on CL in Sacramento, $150 14"

Personally I would go with 14's or 15's... 13's are a PIA. Too bad Clarks couldn't get the wires repro'd in 14".

And with 14's or 15's, you could select from almost limitless red or gold stripe tires, if you can afford the hi cost

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hands wheels
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: March 17, 2014 05:56PM

DBH2158
...I would like to use a good set of radials with matching thin white wall if available in 13". Do you like this idea and, if yes, what tire would you recommend?

Welcome! There are very few available with the correct size 13" tires. I would recommend the Maxxis 185/80R13. This size has the correct height for looks.
Your best bet maybe to get them from Clark's. [www.corvair.com]

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: 110PG ()
Date: March 17, 2014 06:20PM

Here's a poor shot of a 69 with a nice set of similar wheels--these are 14's as well

Attachments:
Date: March 17, 2014 08:25PM

They look wider than mine... Thses are the wheels you found for me Matt!!!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 17, 2014 09:10PM

UGLYTRUK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They look wider than mine... Theses are the wheels
> you found for me Matt!!!
=============================================

Yup!! best deal you ever made!! LOL!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:42AM

There are multiple castings of the original Hands wheel that are frequently found in 13x5.5. Some of the variations include cast in spots on the rear of the rim to "bolt" on weights for balancing. There are also versions that do not have this feature. There are versions where the center hub is threaded to take a spin on 3 eared spinner and there are versions without the threaded postion to take a spinner held on via set screw.

I had a lead on an alledged 15x5.5 Hands wheelset that was found on an early 60's Corvette but was never able to confirm as the buyer sold them at a swap meet and didn't have the buyers name. I can neither confirm nor deny the existance of a Hands 15" rim...

The Dan Gurney look-a-like rim was called the Victory GT model. I have seen it in 13x5.5, 13x6, 14x6, 14x7, 15x5.5

In the 13" size both 4 bolt Chevy, Ford
In the 14x6 both 4 and 5 bolt multi make
In the 14x7 only 5 bolt Chevy and Ford
In the 15x5.5 4 bolt VW/Porsche 914

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: March 18, 2014 08:26AM

Rick,

There was a pair of the 15" Hands wheels on Fleabay for quite a while last year. They had the real Hands spinners. The seller claimed they were magnesium, which we know they are not. He wanted about 1k for the pair. I do not know if they are still on there or not.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Date: March 18, 2014 09:00AM

Actually most of the sets made before 1960-61 were magnesium, Hands switched to Alum sometime around 59-60 and once the magnesium ones all sold out, all you could get was alum.

That would also coincide with the 15x5.5 rim size for the Corvette. These were big dollar rims at the time and used primarily for racing.

The magnesium was either not coated or poorly coated and rims oxidized quickly and were scrapped. The vintage magnesium rims are super rare as you know.

Rick Loving
CORSA

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 09:06AM by ral1963.

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: August 07, 2017 09:11PM

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread - but I wonder if any of the Hands wheel experts here know the answer to a question. I have a set of these type of wheels and the markings + research led me to conclude that they are Jack McAfee 14 x 6 wheels. The descriptions I found are identical to that provided here for the Hands wheels, including the machined in "snout". The Porsche forums indicate that the McAfee wheels were made prior to Porsche making available the Fuchs forged allow wheels.

So was there any affiliation between the Jack McAfee wheels and the Hands wheels?

Jack McAfee Wheels

Date: August 07, 2017 09:34PM

My wheels are marked:

SRC 1400

PATENT PENDING

6.00 x 14.00

Here is something I found on a Porsche forum:

"Rex McAfee is best able to respond to this but from him my understanding the wheels were originally intended for distribution by Sears, thus the SRC on the inside of the genuine wheels. Jack McAfee picked them up after Sears backed out. The manufacturer of the centrifugally cast wheels has long since disappeared and the molds scrapped."

So here is my theory:

Jack McAfee was a race car driver and Porsche dealer - not a manufacturer. What if Hands Engineering is the manufacturer mentioned above. Perhaps Hands was preparing to distribute their Wheels through Sears Roebuck, and when Sears backed out, Jack McAfee picked them up and marketed them himself, ordering from Hands. Maybe?

Or maybe I have too much time on my "Hands" LOL...

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 07, 2017 09:36PM

Good as any theorie!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 07, 2017 09:55PM

Purty pictures:

Date: August 08, 2017 02:05AM

Interesting...

Date: August 08, 2017 06:02AM

Pretty cool, I have bought and sold Hands and Hands "look a likes" for the past 20 years and have never come across this style rim...

A 14x6 Hands look a like with a center boss to mount a spinner..

Flat_six, could you post more pictures, especially the front at a slight angle to see the depth and the hub area?

From your "font" on pic, they almost look like the "triangle cutouts" are shaped different or the web wider?

Rick Loving
CORSA

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 06:02AM by ral1963.

Date: August 08, 2017 08:23AM

More mug shots. The spokes are not curved out like Hands wheels are. Profile view:

And the spinner. Alloy castings obviously made only for these wheels by the same manufacturer. Fastened to wheel snout by three setscrews:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 08:24AM by flat_six.

Date: August 08, 2017 11:44AM

So.... it turns out I have a set of Hands wheels. NOT lookalikes. And my theory provided above is confirmed. See the following email response today from Jack's son Rex:

Hi Mike,

Yes...Hands Engineering manufactured the mold and would do periodic "runs" to fulfill estimated sales needs. I spoke to a former employee who said it was quite a process in those days; once the furnace was at the proper temperature, they would pour wheels until they were exhausted. There was an "art" to getting the temperature right so once the wheels would come out correctly, you didn't stop the process no matter what time of day or night it was.

Thanks for touching base, Rex

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 11:48AM by flat_six.

Date: August 08, 2017 12:32PM

OK the stories just keep popping up. Here you go Rick:

Check this out: [www.hemmings.com]

In the blog following the article above, Rande Bell says:

The “Fitch” wheels, as you call them, were used mostly as the LAT 70-numbered US Rootes dealer-installed option for Sunbeam Tigers. One of the prominent Tiger restorers researched the source of the wheel. As far as he could determine, the original manufacturer was a company called H and S Metal Products of East Los Angeles. The first logo molded on the wheels was a football-shaped oval with the word “HANDS” inside it. This company merged with a foundry to become Electronic Specialties of Glendale and Pomona(where the forging of wheels took place). You’ll notice that the prototype Mustang II( the model leading to the 1965 Mustang) wore a set of these. At this point, the wheels were labelled on the inside “HANDS ENGINEERING, LOS ANGELES. PATENT APPLIED FOR”. HANDS ENGINEERING was turned over to Gordon Schoeder, and he and a friend spent more time adapting this wheel to fit multiple models of cars. At this point, a new label was used on this wheel, now SRC, which the Tiger restorer thinks stood for Schroeder Race Cars. It was about 1966 when Rootes got serious about offering this wheel in the US as an authorized accessory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 12:34PM by flat_six.

Date: August 08, 2017 01:28PM

Top Row left to Right...

15" x 5.5" VW/Porsche rim
14" x 5.5 Dan Gurney/Victory look a like
13" x 5.5 Sunbeam Specialties Repo LAT-70 wheel(same as Clarks)

Bottom Row left to right
13" x 5.5 Original Hands Wheel
14" x 5.5 Dan Gurney/Victory look a like
15" x 5.5" VW/Porsche rim

Rick Loving
CORSA

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG

Attachments:
Date: August 08, 2017 02:15PM

Probably the non historians here are fast asleep by now, so its you and me Rick!

So here is my (updated) theory:

H and S Metal Products = manufactured wheels marked "HANDS ENGINEERING" (wheels used by John Fitch). Early to mid 1960's.

HANDS ENGINEERING products acquired by Gordon Schroeder ~1965-1966

Gordon Schroeder continued production using HANDS tooling, centrifugal casting process and casting foundry. Schroeder Racing generated wheels of similar style in different diameters, widths, and offsets in an attempt to broaden the potential sales applications. Wheels were marked "SRC".

Best conclusion is that my wheels are 14 inch "Hands" wheels made by Schroeder Racing in the mid-late 1960's.

No idea if the Sears Roebuck story holds any water. Probably Porsche dealer Jack McAfee bought his wheels via special order from Hands and (later) Schroeder Racing. It was probably the same building and sweaty, exhausted foundry workers making all of the wheels.

Date: August 08, 2017 02:41PM

ral1963 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually most of the sets made before 1960-61 were
> magnesium, Hands switched to Alum sometime around
> 59-60 and once the magnesium ones all sold out,
> all you could get was alum.
>
> That would also coincide with the 15x5.5 rim size
> for the Corvette. These were big dollar rims at
> the time and used primarily for racing.
>
> The magnesium was either not coated or poorly
> coated and rims oxidized quickly and were
> scrapped. The vintage magnesium rims are super
> rare as you know.

Found while researching. H and S = HANDS

"Santa Cruz Sentinel November 7, 1952

White-hot flame flashed through the grinding room of a metal products company yesterday, injuring eight persons. Firemen said magnesium dust apparently was ignited in the plant of the H and S Metal Products Co., in East Los Angeles. The plant has 155 employees. One of the victims, Ray Case, 42, who was burned on the face and hands, said: "All of a sudden there was a blinding flash. It was like the air was full of flames." Three persons were critically burned: Frank Bracken, Los Angeles; Russell Brosman, 35, of 601 E. 4th St., Pomona, and Mary Jobe."

Just one of many reasons they stopped making wheels from magnesium...

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.