home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
hands wheels
Posted by: BAYVIEWCORSA ()
Date: May 11, 2012 05:51PM

I am told these rims is very rare by the po i purchased the car from. They are 14x 7. Anybody have any info if they are?

Dana MacEwen
Bucksport,Maine

63 Spyder
65 Corsa 140
66 Corsa Turbo Coupe

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hands wheels
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 11, 2012 06:03PM

Real Hands are somewhat hard to find iirc... and are rare like Minilites..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2012 06:50PM by MattNall.

Re: hands wheels info from Rick Loving
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 11, 2012 06:08PM

Just for some more clairification. The rims that Clarks sells are new repo's made by Sunbeam Specialities in CA. The Sunbeam Tiger, The Devin C, and the Fitch Sprint all used the Hands styled rim as a specific option for their mods.

Sunbeam Specialites designed the rim with their 4 bolt Ford pattern usage and make it in both 13x5.5 and 13x6 rim widths which is the LAT-70 option for the Sunbeam. Back in the 90's I tried to get them to make a run of Chevy bolt patterned rims but they needed a commitment of something like 100 sets back then and I couldn'd commit to the investment. There were some slight differences also, that I am not sure if Clarks had them adjust or if they are selling them as is. The difference was in the hub diameter, it was larger than the original Hands that used the 3 eared spinner as found on the Devin and Corvair. So the correct spinner for these applications would have to be modified or the rim modified to work. The LAT-70 spinner was different, as it used the Sunebeam logo.

The original Hands style spinner was re-ran by Bill Devin a few years back and Clarks ended up buying the remaining stock but I believe have since sold out of them as the new repo listed in the suplement shows a different style spinner.

The spinner with the grained area on the ears was used on other mags during the 60's (as pictured on the white Spint owned by Jeff Kent) the original style spinner can be seen on the links above on Tim Mahler and Tom Severson Sprints. You can also see them on my red 63 Sprint.

The original Hands wheel was offered in 13, 14, and 15" sizes for any make and model. Later after Hands quit using the pattern, Dan Gurney rims copied it and produced it without the spinner hub for use with a regular center cap.

I was quite the "collector" at one time and had around 25 "Hands" rims in various sizes....and bolt patterns.

Rick Loving

Posted by: YenkoYS-100 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 06:39PM

I had a set on my '65/'66 1/2 and 1/2 car back in the late '80's. It was back 1/2 '65 Corsa and front 1/2 '66 A/C Monza. Mine were the 13" Hands, which I think would be harder to find now, than 14" ones. JMO
Rick

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 11, 2012 07:22PM

The HANDS wheels on my 64 Sprint had a knock-off center that had an O-ring inside of the piece so it sealed onto the hub of the wheel PLUS set screws to hold it in place. The backside had lettering from HANDS ENGINEERING and also the backside had tapped holes for balancing weights. I had a total of 8 complete that went with the car when I sold it.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: May 11, 2012 07:39PM

The wheel in the top photo appears to be a Gurney wheel as it has a center cap and not the integrated hub.
Like Steve said, the originals have the tapped holes in the back and most, but not all have the words ' Hands Engineering' cast into the back. I have a total of 10 of the Hands 5 lug wheels. 6 are used and 4 are still NOS. Some have Hands Engineering cast into the back and some do not. They all have the wheel size cast into the back.

Rod in El Cajon that post here under ROD has a set of the Gurney wheels.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 11, 2012 08:28PM

One small detail about BAYVIEWCORSA's pic at the top, look at the wheel center, there is the horn button emblem from a 65-6 Corsa on the cover. Nice touch.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: May 12, 2012 04:03AM

When i had the wheels off there is an o ring to hold the center cap to the wheel but i am not sure about any holes for set screws. The center is from a horn button according to the po i bought the car from.What would be the best product to clean the wheels? they have lite oxadation on them from sitting under a car cover outside before i bought it.

Posted by: ys063 ()
Date: May 13, 2012 10:36AM

I had a set of those wheels in the early eighties. EICO sold Dan Gurney Victory mags and cleared them out at the 1978 convention. A guy in our club, CORSA Ontario bought the set but decided he didn't like them and sold them to me. Once the tires were mounted and put on my car, he decided he liked them but it was too late. They do bear a strong resemblance to Hands wheels.

John

Posted by: Dean Varga ()
Date: October 06, 2013 04:30PM

I am doing some research to find out if Dan Gurney wheels(the one found often on 914 and VWs that had four lug design) came in any other size the 15X5.5

I came across this tread and now my memory is really being tested. I do recall going to my best friends Corvair meets in So California in the 70s and on occasion seeing these wheels on Corvairs and other vehicles. It seems to me the wheel that is being referred to as "Hands Wheels" is similar or the same as a wheel that was offered by "Haan" out of a shop I believe in West Hollywood in the sixty's and early seventies.

These wheels that I am referring to were I believe manufacture by or for Volvo and were later imported by a man named McAfee. He bought them blank and had them drilled for five lug Porsche. Very cool looking on a 911 /912 in the day but they had a balancing mechanism of some sort that was problematic and kepted tire balanced on the wheels for Porsches a challenge.

These Mc Afee wheels I believe were the original Sunbeam Tiger LAT wheels as well.

Other than Dan Gurney/Western, Haan, I believe that Appliance also offered this design.....FWIW

regards,Dean

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: October 06, 2013 08:03PM

The Hands wheels being talked about here were manufactured by Hands Engineering in Los Angeles.

Posted by: ys063 ()
Date: October 07, 2013 08:48AM

The wheels pictured are Dan Gurney victory wheels as sold by IECO in the 1970"s.

Posted by: Grymm ()
Date: October 07, 2013 10:35AM

Missy has a set of these almost-lookalike-hands for her EM. We couldn't afford Hand's and this is as close as we could get. We like them.

Ray

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: October 07, 2013 12:17PM

Dean,

I have owned sets of Hands in 13x5.5 (4 & 5 bolt Chevy),Sunbeam Tiger in 13x5.5 (5 bolt Ford), Dan Gurney's in 13x5.5, 14x5.5, 14x7 (5 bolt Chevy), and 15x5.5 (VW/Porsche 4 bolt pattern)

mwr, Are you referring to Dana's picture? I would really like to see a close up of the hub with horn cap removed? I have nver seen a Hands Manf. rim without the cast in Hub extension.

Dana, just normal Alum polish and lots of elbow grease...

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: clarkscorvair ()
Date: October 07, 2013 12:32PM

Here is the page from our catalog on the hands wheels.
Clarks Corvair Parts
[www.corvair.com]

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: October 07, 2013 12:41PM

What look-a-like wheels do I have on my Spyder? I would venture out to the barn for better pix, but it's POURING here! And Toronados 100 miles south

Attachments:

Posted by: nnsquared ()
Date: October 07, 2013 01:56PM

tornadoes are 100 mi south, toronados are source of engine/transaxle for V8 transplant. ggggg

Regards,
Kerwin,
Valley Forge, PA
65 Monza 110 PG, Stinger wannabe SW 001

Posted by: handswheels ()
Date: October 07, 2013 02:57PM

Just to further confuse things. Vilem B. Haan supplied the custom steering wheels for the Fitch Sprint.

Not to mention my sig.....

Handswheels
Lake County, Illinois
1965 Monza 110 PG Coupe - Daily Driver

Date: October 07, 2013 05:16PM

Hi Rick

I will be taking the wheels off to polish them this winter and i will take a pictures of the wheels. Thanks for the info about polishing.

Dana MacEwen
Bucksport,Maine

63 Spyder
65 Corsa 140
66 Corsa Turbo Coupe

Re: hands wheels info from Rick Loving
Posted by: DBH2158 ()
Date: March 17, 2014 02:58PM

Hi to all forum members. I am new here and, as per advice, trying to go slow and ask questions. My 62 Monza Spyder convertible came from the factory with a gorgeous set of Kelsey Hayes wire knock offs that now need to be rebuilt. I notice that Clarks is offering the 13" Hands Fitch aluminum wheels. They are pricey but do include the spinners. I am thinking of buying a set and reserving the wires for show use only. In this case I would like to use a good set of radials with matching thin white wall if available in 13". Do you like this idea and, if yes, what tire would you recommend? Incidentally these wheels are more expensive that Pannasport minilite 15" on eBay currently. Thanks a lot, Don

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.