home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rampside vs Loadside
Posted by: Bob G ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:20AM

All things being equal I'd say "A" as well. But I think you're splitting hairs. I like all things 'Vair, but really none of the FC's was that popular when new and aren't that sought after today. To most they are a curiousity. In this case, pick what you like and enjoy it.

I would think condition would be a strong factor in choosing as well. If I had a choice between striaght, solid Loadside and a Rampy on the verge of breaking in half from rust I'd take the Loadside. Maybe one could carry out GM's original plan and cover the lower level and custom fit access doors in the sides.

It still amazes me how much $ VW vans of the same vintage go for. Choosing any 'Vair FC over one of those is a no-brainer to me.

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: May 09, 2012 02:43PM

Well for me a Rampy first (I'm still looking BTW) and next would be a Corvan (also still looking). EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: gbirk1 ()
Date: May 09, 2012 08:03PM

Bob, I could not agree with you more. I, too, enjoy seeing the more "mundane" cars among all the muscle cars at shows and cruise nights. I especially like the "plain janes." It is those grocery getter cars that make the old car hobby affordable to more people.

The only person who has to like the car is the owner. Who cares if someone else is not impressed with it? We Corvair owners should understand that better than most with all the derision our cars sometimes get from the uninformed.

Gregg Birkholz
Canaan, CT.

1967 Monza 110 PG Convertible
2013 Chevy Malibu (Wife's DD)
1993 Cadillac Deville
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
1997 Mazda Miata STO (Wife's fun car)
1989 Cadillac Deville (parts car)

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 09, 2012 08:43PM

gbirk1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The only person who has to like the car is the
> owner. Who cares if someone else is not impressed
> with it?
===========================

Gregg... you need to read some posts here... seems the "LOOK AT ME" is of the utmost importance to many here...

Many say they have the vehicle because of it's uniqueness..and the attention it draws.. nothing else!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: May 10, 2012 07:56AM

I agree with Bob and Greg. Seeing "mundane" cars allows the show browser to remember how it actually was, with the little idiosyncracies that they remember. When I view cars at a show, I walk right past the modified ones. I would rather look at a clean factory original, than someone else's dream.

"seems the "LOOK AT ME" is of the utmost importance to many here...".
Well, on this I agree. Many seem determined to modify and tinker with a car continuously until they grow tired of it. Then they are surprised that not everybody thinks it's worth what they do. Personally, I would never buy a car that is lowered, for example, without considering the cost to restore it to factory specs. But, to each his own. Flame suit on.

As far as reading posts, I read every one, though sometimes a day or two later. It's a good way to learn.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: May 10, 2012 08:17AM

How a about injecting a little heresey in this thread. Now if you want to make a Corvair truck look good take two feet out of the length. The Loadside would work better for this. If you want a cruise-in oddity get the Rampside and take the ramp out of it and have a shorty. Jim

Posted by: roger4a1ward ()
Date: May 10, 2012 08:19AM

My point was that some people have the need for rarity, as if that were a defining issue in chooing a car. I don't care what car a person likes or drives ... but rarity should not be a factor in making the call. I like the '59 Borgward (man, it's ugly) because I like the car, not because it's rare.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: May 10, 2012 09:30AM

I use my Rampy as a semi-daily driver, with use hauling stuff weekly. That said - working on a friends '62 loadside yeasterday - It sure is a very beautiful clean looking vehicle without the break in the lines caused by the ramp. I just can't see a big difference in price between the two unless you are using one - and hauling washing machines around frequently. In that case you dont want to be using a perfect show vehicle.

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: May 10, 2012 09:54AM

Talk about plain Jane. Wait till I get my 60 "500" sedan cleaned and ready for the summer cruise-ins.Hardly any chrome,two options,blackwalls and original factory depression era gray upholstery.Bet I'll get more comments then the blown Hemi next to me,which BTW pisses them off.EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: November 18, 2017 07:10AM

WhenIm64 Wrote:
> Let me re-cast the question:
>
> It is now more than 50 years since these trucks
> were built. If you had two of them, side-by-side,
> absolutely identical, same condition, same
> features, but one was a Rampside and one was a
> Loadside, is there a different in their current
> value? Will there be a difference in their value
> five, ten years from now?

Well? It's been 5+ years since this post.
For whatever reason,NADA valuates the Loadside higher than the Rampside.
I have no idea on how they crunch numbers since none that I'm aware of have broken the $40k barrier in sales.

Hagerty needs to include FC's in their valuation tools!

Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:57AM

Pedigo Wrote:
> WhenIm64 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Let me re-cast the question:but one was a Rampside and one was a Loadside, is there a different in their current value? Will there be a difference in their value five, ten years from now?
>
>
> Well? It's been 5+ years since this post.
> For whatever reason,NADA valuates the Loadside higher than the Rampside.

I got my Loadside a couple of months ago. I was just going to insure it for an AGR of what I paid but American Collectors offered to insure it for twice what I though the value is. It's only a few dollars more so I did it.

My point is this: I had no idea what the value of the truck is. I just wanted it so I got it.

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Date: November 18, 2017 09:38AM

As did I,Art. However,the topic of this thread is based on value and the comparison between two models.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 18, 2017 10:31AM

Totally OT here, but I noticed that earlier in this thread, some were talking about shorty FC's.
On the idea of FC moding, I would love to see the opposite! eye popping smiley
Take a Rampside, and cut it off just in front of the vents.
And then take a Loadside and cut it off just behind the cab.
Then attach the Loadside back-end to the Rampside front end and create a REALLY looong rampside!grinning smiley

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 18, 2017 10:41AM

Several Greenbriers have been stretched.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 18, 2017 10:45AM

Yes, but the trucks would look really looong due to the short height of the bed.
Bedsides that, think of the tailgate, er sidegate party potential it would have!
Just paint it up in your favorite teams colors.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: November 19, 2017 06:35AM

For me, Rampside.

It's about utility, nothing else.

I have Corvairs- but why I have a Rampside...I sold my 'modern' POS Colorado when we had a second kid (try putting a rear facing child seat in a Crew Cab Colorado) I live a long way from work, so a full size sucky gas mileage truck was out.

Still need to do truck type things (like get Corvair parts, and pianos).

Put together a beater Rampside and have not looked back!

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Date: November 19, 2017 07:07AM

Yeah...But can you hot tub in it with two of your closest buds?smileys with beer

You can in a Loadside. And go back in time,too!

Attachments:
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.