Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rampside vs Loadside
Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: May 07, 2012 03:35PM

I have an opportunity to buy a Loadside.

I am pretty confident that everyone here knows what a Rampside is, but some of you may not be familiar with the Loadside. The Loadside was a lower-cost alternative to the Rampside that had a solid right-hand bed side instead of a ramp. I have attached an image.

Anyway, Loadsides are rare, simply because they did not sell well in the first place. Chevy pulled the plug on them in 1962, after fewer than 2900 of them were built in all for the two model years that they were offered.

Larry Claypool somewhat cynically refers to the Loadside as "the rare and useless Loadside," presumably because the absence of the ramp takes away a large measure of utility while the deep cargo bed can make for some back-breaking reaches.

But today a Loadside is both wierd and uncommon. Still, is a Loadside a wise purchase? After all, Rampsides were more popular when new and appear to remain more popular today.

Let me be candid: I realize that buying a Corvair as an investment is foolhardy. If I wanted to speculate in old cars there are far more likely candidates than any Corvair. But I am seeking to buy something that will retain its value and appreciate at least better than the pittance a bank savings account offers currently. I have the money to buy this Loadside sitting in the bank. If I buy the Loadside, maintain it, enjoy it, will I be better off financially?

Or is the difference between a Rampside and a Loadside enough to make it an unwise purchase?

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rampside vs Loadside
Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: May 07, 2012 04:16PM

After owning a 62 rampside I can say I would never buy a loadside. The whole point is the ramp.

It would be like buying a Amphicar was a rare model that was not maid to go in the water.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: May 07, 2012 04:28PM

Structurally, the Loadside is superior - no weak joints at the ramp.

IMHO - it depends on what you want it for. If you want it as a truck, to haul stuff around - particularly heavy stuff, go Rampside. If you want a cruise night truck, show truck, go loadside - that bed is awful deep.

There are 2 or 3 Loadsides in our club (seriously), and I know of another bare loadside body in the western part of the state.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts / Corvair Minnesota / Corvanatics
61 Rampside, 65 4-door/140PG, 66 Monza Vert, 66 AutoX Car, Manx Vair Buggy, Rupp Chevy Jr.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 07, 2012 04:31PM

Whenlm64
Let me be candid: I realize that buying a Corvair as an investment is foolhardy.

Let me be candid...you get the forum smartest guy of the month award!!!

Having said that...how much, what condition, does it run, more importantly does it stop.

If it's a good deal buy it simply of it's uniqueness...I would!!!

I'm copying that picture in you original post...cool look.

Paso Robles CA-Unsafe at Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-V8 Registry-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champions 2002 & 9 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 (Now Retired Again) Rehired as Contractor Seasonally-Baddest Street Legal Corvair on the Planet is SuperVair (AKA Vairy V8) ADE 506 Cube BBC/PG/QC L/M Coupe-1963 Deluxe Rampside (AKA PhilSide2)-148.253 MPH Landspeed F/BGALT Late Model Coupe-B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-1965 Ugly Duck 110/PG Monza Coupe Parts Car-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-Grand Design Momuntum 350M Luxury Toy Hauler-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:00PM

Kent Sullivan ( corvairkid ) has a registry for 62 Loadsides,there are 18 listed. The Flint assembled ones seem to be the rarest of all.
His site is in the links.

John

1962 Rampside, 4.3 Vortec powered.
The thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Sparta Michigan.

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:28PM

If you want to haul anything heavy or long in a Loadside, put a sheet of plywood level with the top of the engine cover and heater cover. Rampsides had a "level floor" option that you could put stuff under the floor. Of course you could get at the stuff by opening the ramp. There was a GM styling rendition of a lower side door on a Loadside to access the underside of a level floor.
Clark Hartzel

Posted by: nnsquared ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:47PM

Hi Bob,
Do it! For all the reasons you listed. Not a very convenient hauler, but you aren't hauling. It is a hobby truck. Only bad thing that could happen is crash or vandalism, and that's what collector's insurance is for. Conversation piece, used for comparison at shows. Educate the public to ALL versions of our car, lots of good can come of this. Including you being happy with still another first for you and Corvairs. Part of this opinion comes with advancing age, part from just another look at our hobby.
I just talked to my elder brother. There is a car show at Williams Grove Park and Speedway, 1/2 mile from our childhood home. He is coming east from Ohio. I am going to display my SW-001 Stinger wammabe, and we will reminisce about the old days. Life is good.

Regards,
Kerwin,
Valley Forge, PA
65 Monza 110 PG, Stinger wannabe SW 001

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:50PM

My first Loadside was a '62 with the "level Floor" option. At one time it was owned by a bumper rechroming company and it worked fine for them for many years. My present Loadside is a '61. It is just a fun truck and hauls my Husky Corvair bike just fine. It is a long way down to the floor over the side and I wouldn't want to be hoisting heavy stuff in and out.

Loadsides tend to sell cheaper than Rampsides in similar condition and don't have the conversation starter of the side ramp. But you also don't have a rusty ramp with hard to find hardware.

If you haul appliances for a living get the Rampside . . . if you just want a fun Corvair FC to drive pick either one.

T. Kalp

Attachments:
Posted by: 3prongspin ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:56PM

I know I would buy it in a heart beat. Unless you plan on making this a work truck what does it matter if its a rampside or loadside. I think with the loadsides Being so few produced I would want it more than the rampside anyway, both would be cool to own but my vote is for the Loadside.

James Speas
61 Rampside 80HP 4speed
Circle City Corvairs
Somewhere in SW Indiana surrounded by corn/soybean field

Date: May 07, 2012 06:04PM

Just saw a Rampside this weekend that had the flat load floor installed, 'cept this one was done from steel that looked just like the top of the ramp!! Full length flat floor with a cubby hole that is accessed from dropping the ramp. Chevrolet was originally thinking of adding a side access hatch to them, but never got a "round tu-it"

"just DO IT!"

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 07, 2012 06:32PM

Loadsides are cool! I have never owned one and I don't think I have ever even ridden in one, I could see myself owning one someday. So if you decide not to buy this vehicle, tell us where it is located. But I sure do like my Rampside I purchased from the original owner in 1980.

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: May 07, 2012 06:47PM

My understanding is that there were only 360-380 Loadsides built. I want one!

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: May 07, 2012 06:59PM

Its been over a year I can repost this.
GMoore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 07:00PM by gmgmtl.

Attachments:
Date: May 08, 2012 07:19AM

Ratt643 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My understanding is that there were only 360-380
> Loadsides built. I want one!
------------------------------------------------------
369 made in 1962
2,475 in 1961

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: May 08, 2012 07:27AM

Hey Bob are you buying that one in Lambertville? If you do buy it You need to sell me your Rampy.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 08, 2012 07:30AM

The 1962 Loadside is the lowest production Corvair out there.... unless you look at outside Chevrolet production Corvairs like Yenko. It even beats the 1969 Convertible in low #. If I had a chance to "pick-up" a good one, I would in a heartbeat.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: May 08, 2012 08:00AM

Let me re-cast the question:

It is now more than 50 years since these trucks were built. If you had two of them, side-by-side, absolutely identical, same condition, same features, but one was a Rampside and one was a Loadside, is there a different in their current value? Will there be a difference in their value five, ten years from now?

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: May 08, 2012 08:38AM

"Buy land they ain't making any more of it". Who can Identify that quote? Try to find some that has gas under it.

That's my investment advice. As far as the Loadside goes your guess is as good as any. Value is relative.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 08, 2012 09:10AM

Loadside value...

If you went into a room filled with 100 potential FC pick-up buyers and two pickups were on the stage, one Rampside and one Loadside, and asked "Who would like to buy this nice Rampside?" Many, if not all, hands would go up.

Then ask the same crowd "Who would rather buy this equally nice Loadside for the same price?" How many hands would go up?

How much lower would the price have to be to get someone to raise their hand?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: May 08, 2012 11:14AM

My hands up for both!

Attachments:
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.