Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Distributor/Coil Wiring
Posted by: Palanlan ()
Date: May 02, 2012 01:16PM

So I know there are quite a few threads on this topics and I have been through some. That being said, I think I'd like some advice on the subject of wiring the ignition system. I bought a new coil yesterday for my 65' Monza 110. The car also has a new distributor (no vacuum) which appears to be in very good shape. The points look good as well. I had the car running last week but decided to clean out the engine bay a bit and now it doesn't seem to have a spark (the new coil was installed after I cleaned the engine bay). Currently there is a capacitor (I think) hanging off of the - side of the coil. There is also a wire going from the - side of the coil to the distributor (points). And finally there are 2 wires coming from the battery and what I believe is the ignition switch going to the + terminal of the coil. The coil wire looks good from the coil to the dist. cap but it's not getting spark. Could it be the capacitor is on the wrong terminal or is bad? I know the thing ran and I'm sure it's a simple fix to get it to do so again, I'm just wondering if this sounds right to everyone. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Distributor/Coil Wiring
Posted by: MrChips ()
Date: May 02, 2012 01:36PM

Could have a 'bad' new coil. Not impossible.

Can you put the old coil back in to see if it will run?

Check coil voltage with the key 'on' (Don't leave it on for a prolonged period - can burn points if they're barely closed) - should be ~8V or so.

Where Santiago and Live Oak Canyon intersect in Orange County, Ca

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 02, 2012 01:37PM

Are you saying you removed wires while cleaning? OR that you just WASHED the engine and now it won't start??

The Capacitor goes on the "+" terminal and is only for radio noise suppression.

Since no factory Distributors came without a Vacuum or Pressure cannister.. you must have an aftermarket unit ... Mallory? etc.

There should be NO wires from the Battery to the coil!! Check the diagram section I attached and look at the colors..

ONE wire does come from the IGN. switch....thru a resistance wire.
Other wire comes from the Starter solinoid and is used only during cranking to BYPASS the wire from the ignition switch... giving a full 12 volts to the coil at that time.

Look in our FAQ section for links to free wiring diagrams.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Attachments:
Posted by: acardon ()
Date: May 02, 2012 03:21PM

I would suspect water in the distributor. Pull the cap and dry it good.

The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers
Don
NTCA....DFW,TEXAS
66 Monza 1 owner

Date: May 02, 2012 07:40PM

It lives! Switched some wires around that were in the wrong places and got it running. Thanks for the help guys. On to the next issue. There seems to be a parasitic draw somewhere because the battery goes dead fairly quickly after shut down. It could also be a bad battery but it is new as of a month ago so I don't know if that is very likely.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 02, 2012 07:45PM

What voltage are you getting at the batteries terminals when running and rev'd to approx. 2,000rpm?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 03, 2012 08:07AM

I'll check that out tonight and get back to you. Currently it won't stay running at idle (I suspect because my headers are smashed from the previous owner). That is another project though. I just need an assistant to keep the car running so I'll have to wait til my roommate comes home from work this afternoon. Bottom line is, this car needs a lot of help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.