Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Wagon Guys: Under lid insulation, what was OG?
Posted by: wagbear ()
Date: May 14, 2012 07:10AM

The insulation retainer screws are the same cap-head style and size as those used on the toe pan.
The "short" screws you refer to are used to secure the Battery cover and that other filler panel. The engine lid screws are about a half inch longer as due to the depth caused by the rear lip recess. The side panels fit flush to the framework.
You can get those screws at a Hardware store or Home Depot, but they'll most likely have slotted heads. A nice little "mod" is to get black or white nylon washers that will fit snugly to the screw....looks nice, prevents screw from scratching paint. Those screws are also used to hold down the interior cover behind the folding rear seat.
The insulation I got from CLARK'S had no stenciling or printing on it....

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington
( South of Canada...North of Mexico....Near Olympia ; Planet Earth . smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: May 14, 2012 03:24PM

Terry and Wag, there is no way that the short screws would reach on my side covers, I need the long ones for every thing back there.

I was the one that found the stainless license plate screws and posted on the Yahoo group about it. I would just like to have the real thing.

You are correct about the smooth surface on the rear panels but I just a assumed it was a 62 change and not Monza only. Maybe some of the 62 700 Wagon guys can let us know.

The side covers should have a seal and mine was there on the passenger side. This is what it should look like.

You can see that there is no check pattern on my rear covers.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon Ted Brown EFI Gen II
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: August 13, 2013 06:25PM

I was in Mo last week visiting my folks and my wagon. We got the under hood insulation installed. It does look nice.

Sorry for the bad picture the sun was in a bad spot.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: Freeman ()
Date: August 13, 2013 07:46PM

It's all in the details. Nice job Sam!

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Posted by: SLlNKY ()
Date: August 13, 2013 08:05PM

I did mine the night before the Sturbridge convention.
Id like to get a piece of mirrored stainless to go on it now.

Attachments:

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: August 14, 2013 03:17PM

My original Lakewood has a fiber insulation covered by a smooth mylar sheet very similar to a space blanket. The material remaining on the pic SpyderMan posted looks correct, and here is a pic off the web that from my small travel screen looks correct. I'm out of state but when I return home this weekend I can take detailed pics of my Lakewood's lid if anybody cares.

Attachments:
Date: August 14, 2013 06:22PM

I think that there is a picture of the under side of the lid in the 61 and 62 owners manual. It looks black but it is a small B&W picture.

I am not sure that what was left on the blue 61 was original as a bunch of stuff was changed on that car.

The silver looks good, we will see how well this stuff holds up.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: August 16, 2013 09:10AM

While I remember it being silvery, apparently the mylar was clear. I could find no trace of color on the cleaned section or under the missing retainer. I've seen several lids with traces of this insulation and considering the fiber type insulation (quite possibly including asbestos) there had to be some kind of protective covering for it to stay in place for any amount of time. Plus I've owned this car a long time so am fairly certain this is original. There are 5 plastic retainers, two over each air cleaner and one over the generator pulley.
It is possible, however, that other types of insulation were used throught production of the Lakewood/Wagon.
Regarding the securing screws, I was under the assumption that long screws were used on both the engine and side covers with the short screws used for at least some if not all of the differential cover.

Attachments:

Date: August 16, 2013 09:30AM

NM, thanks for the pictures!

Mine does not have any signs of a place to put the retainers, I wonder if it had changed by 62?

Tell me about the rubber bumper on the right side? My retainer had the remains of it but I was not sure what it landed on? Does it keep the prop from rattling?

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: August 16, 2013 10:27AM

You hit it, to keep the prop rod from rattling. The fact your lid does not have the retainer holes says there must be more than one style of insulation used. Could be a 62 change, an in-production 61 change, or even an assembly plant difference (assuming Lakewoods/Wagons were built at more than just Willow Run).

Years ago I owned a 62 700 Wagon, I remember the covers as having the same textured outside surface as the Lakewood but unfortunately can not recall the type of insulation used.

SpyderMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NM, thanks for the pictures!
>
> Mine does not have any signs of a place to put the
> retainers, I wonder if it had changed by 62?
>
> Tell me about the rubber bumper on the right side?
> My retainer had the remains of it but I was not
> sure what it landed on? Does it keep the prop from
> rattling?

Attachments:
Date: August 16, 2013 11:36AM

Perfect!

Now I need to hunt down a bumper like that. I will look at Clarks but I do not think that they have that as I have pored over all the wagon stuff a bunch of times.

Is this car a low mile car? It seems very complete.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: August 16, 2013 12:13PM

I still have the original screws for the engine cover of my old Monza Wagon.

Dad bought the car new then sold it years later. Eventually I was able to purchase it back but I also eventually sold it. The screws were removed when the car was very young and never reinstalled.

IF the current owner of the car were to surface, I would be willing to give these to them along with a copy of a photo when the car was new.

It was a Black car with Red bucket interior, 3:55 Powerglide and roof rack.

Last I saw the car was at a car show in Northern Virginia in the eighties and the owner was moving south (Florida I think)

At one point the rear wheel openings were cut out but they were retained and a subsequent bodyman/owner reinstalled the pieces

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: August 16, 2013 12:26PM

I can get you dimensions of the bumper if you need them. If Clark's doesn't list them Metro, Steele, or one of the other rubber parts suppliers should have one.
My Lakewood is fairly complete but unfortunately quite weathered since it has been outside its entire life. The odometer reads 75K miles and am reasonably sure it is correct.

SpyderMan Wrote:
> Perfect!
>
> Now I need to hunt down a bumper like that. I will
> look at Clarks but I do not think that they have
> that as I have pored over all the wagon stuff a
> bunch of times.
>
> Is this car a low mile car? It seems very
> complete.

Date: August 16, 2013 01:30PM

I would love the dimensions.

Caraholic4life, I would take very good care of those screws and let then ride in the rear cover of my wagon until the car shows back up. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1964 Spyder coupe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 01:38PM by SpyderMan.

Date: August 16, 2013 09:31PM

Turns out I have a spare retainer strip with bumper so I was able to get photos of three angles. While somewhat distorted it looks like the bumper is 1/2" diameter by 1/2" tall that fits in a 1/4" mounting hole. I looked through my rubber suppliers and the closest I could find was from Au-ve-co, 1/2" diameter, 7/16" tall, picture attached. Hope this helps.

Attachments:

Date: August 17, 2013 10:17AM

That is awesome!

I am sure that this will be a huge noise reduction. smiling bouncing smiley

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: August 19, 2013 06:36PM

Nm, check out what I spotted in the 62 Corvair brochure in the wagon section.

I spy four of your retainers.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: August 19, 2013 06:55PM

Michel, I stole your picture and blew it up and I think I see all of the holes for the plastic retainers.

I guess that I am going to have to pull off my new insulation one of these days and have a look. The lid on mine is painted black on the under side and now seeing how small the holes may be I feel like I may have missed them.

NM, the one missing retainer is not down under the crank pulley is it? I would love to see what it looked like on the back side.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1964 Spyder coupe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 07:04PM by SpyderMan.

Date: August 19, 2013 07:32PM

Cool! I've got the brochure and never noticed the retainers before. Did notice the cloth interior in the Monza however.
Unfortunately it will not be until the weekend, but I'll search the engine compartment for the retainer. I gave a quick look when snapping the pics but it would not surprise me if it were in there someplace hiding.

SpyderMan Wrote:
> Nm, check out what I spotted in the 62 Corvair
> brochure in the wagon section.
>
> I spy four of your retainers.

Date: August 19, 2013 08:12PM

Looking again at mine, it has what appears to be 5 retainers pressing in the padded material.

I'll try to get some better photos of that tomorrow. Pretty sure it may be original...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.