Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Late model clutch cross shaft help!
Posted by: jimc ()
Date: April 02, 2012 01:48AM

I have finally finished the motor assembly and installation of the 140/4 carb powertrain into my Corsa, photos to come soon. My Corsa is an April production date.

I referred to the 1965 Corvair shop manual for adjusting the clutch cable and clutch pull rod. I noted on page 7-5 of the '65 Shop Manual a drawing indicating there may have been a small coiled spring, that connects the body mounted cross shaft bracket to the swivel on clutch cable. The spring is labeled as item 7 in (Fig. 7-9 of Clutch Linkage Exploded) drawing.

I am NOT referring to the clutch return spring that attaches to the differential case and then to the swivel mounted on passenger side of crossover shaft

My car did not have this spring shown in drawing so I am curious if it was omitted by factory or just left off my car by P.O. I checked with an HOACO member and his '65 did not have it either.

I can see the hole at the top of the bracket on mine as the drawing indicates, but no spring.

Any of the rest of you Late Model owners with manual trans have this cross shaft bracket spring in place?

jimc
1965 Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Late model clutch cross shaft help!
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 02, 2012 02:03AM

Hello Jim: This question has popped up in the past, to the best of my knowledge there was never a car with the spring attached although very possibly in the earliest of the 65 production year GM might have sent out a few. Needless to say your clutch will work just fine without it.

Sincere regards, Steve

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1967 monza 110/4
1968 monza 110/4 1971 amante gt 110/4

Golden, Colo. CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: April 02, 2012 02:31AM

Neither of my 65s has that spring.

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: April 02, 2012 02:36AM

Thanks guys.

It didn't seem right as I "simulated the spring tension" against the crossover rod assembly, it added slack in the clutch cable, which I didn't want or need.

jimc
1965 Corsa

Posted by: LesH ()
Date: April 02, 2012 03:19AM

I asked this same question a year or two ago when I was putting mine together... no one has ever seen that spring!

Posted by: '66Monza ()
Date: April 02, 2012 01:27PM

I was going to install one, but forgot. I got too involved in rebuilding that crossover shaft as Clark's doesn't make all the little parts in there and I got some used and then squirted more grease in. It doesn't seem to need that spring.

Kurt
'66 Monza
Former - 110 4sp

NOW - a 1965 140 4sp

Pittsburgh,Pa.

'66 Chevrolet Monza, Cleopatra in the drivewaySmall Corvair RF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.