Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
MAACO paint job for CLEAR COAT only??confused smiley
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 15, 2012 10:46AM

the marina blue paint on my LM more door airvair is still in good shape, no cracks, crazing, still thick and even.

unfortunately, it prolly hasn't ben waxed since the last Bush was in office.

It's very dull and rough feeling.

I'm wondering if I can hit it with some ultra fine wet sandpaper, carefully tape it off and bring it to MAACO for a clear coat only paint job?

(I've prepped cars in the past for paint work, just don't have the tools, space and ability to lay out a decent paint job. sad smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 10:46AM by rnch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MAACO paint job for CLEAR COAT only??confused smiley
Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: March 15, 2012 11:02AM

No.

Clearcoat only almost never works. Sanding, even lightly, a metallic color will alter the way the metallic will look and the clearcoat will magnify it.

Most of the work is in the prep. If you are going to maaco then just have them paint it. It will save you from having to repaint it because you are unhappy with the results.

Before you repaint you might try polishing and waxing the car. You may be surprised how good it will look. Don't work it too hard though. A heavy rubbing compound can cause the same problems as sanding.

If you are polishing and your pad turns the color of the car then you have single stage paint. Proceed with caution. The top layer of paint is very thin and sanding/rubbing through it will result in blotches all over the car. If the color doesn't come off on the polishing pad then the car was probably clearcoated already. you can work clearcoat a little harer but going through it will produce similar bad results.

Posted by: patpaldino ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:09PM

Was it previously clearcoated? If so, then yes you can wetsand and reclear it. Bring it right back to new...

Good advice above though...you could try polishing it...but be wary if it is singls stage cuz it will get blotchy. You can try wetsanding a concealed area like under the hood if you don't know what type of paint was used...if it runs sort of a milky clear, than it has clearcoat on it. IF it's blue than single stage.

'65 vert ~ Worcester, MA

SOLD!

sad smileyRe: MAACO paint job for CLEAR COAT only??confused smiley
Date: March 15, 2012 12:21PM

I tried some tannish/brownish liquid rubbing compound with an older lambswool pad on my ancient late 1970's black & decker buffer...the pad turned black immediately with no increase in paint shinniness or smoothness.

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:34PM

Your paint is bad. To add to the above, if you try clearing bad paint, it may not last and start lifting. Which will look worse than what you have now. Cause more work to correct the problem.

Try having it buffed and waxed. Or leave it. Or, have it painted correctly. All IMO.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: March 15, 2012 01:49PM

My brother in law has a mustang. It was dull and some clear had started coming off. The color coat under the clear was still OK. He took it to a body shop, they sanded and repainted the clear only. Now it looks like new again. Different people have different results I guess. But his looks good now, like new.

He did have the bumpers repainted though because all the paint had started to come off. YMMV

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then!

Front profile now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 01:50PM by GWLee.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 15, 2012 03:29PM

To the best of my knowledge regarding the new two part paints, NO you cannot clear coat over old paint because it will not BOND. After a years or two the clear coat will start to peel.

At one time some of the "used car" folks would clear coat over old paint and it looked very good. But after awhile the clear coat would start to peel. Made the car look like it had a bad case of dandruf.

Even if the car is clear coated, most paints say that you should respray the base coat then clearcoat if the basecoat was applied more than 2 to 6 hours previously. This is required to promote a bond between the basecoat/clearcoat.

Posted by: robynwood ()
Date: March 15, 2012 09:12PM

I have used a paint restoration product called TR3 in the past. It comes in a squarish metal can and can be found at most local parts places. I have had it bring back some pretty rough paint jobs. It might be worth it to try a can.

Robyn Wood
Now in Sunny Colorado....

'63 Monza 900 dressed in sparkly blue
'61 Rampside (project)
'63 Spyder convertible (RIP)

Posted by: MrChips ()
Date: March 15, 2012 09:34PM

robynwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have used a paint restoration product called TR3

Wasn't Mr. T the spokesperson for that?

There are some cleaner / polishes the motorcycle folks use. Over time, they develop quite a luster, even on flat paint.

My bike (2002 Honda 919) is 'asphault' in color, yet the 'Honda spray cleaner/polish' that kept it clean also started to make it shine over time. Luckily, I crashed, and the painted parts were replaced. Since then, I've never cleaned it with anything more than compressed air / damp cloths, and it looks fabulously dull.

Where Santiago and Live Oak Canyon intersect in Orange County, Ca

Date: March 16, 2012 01:55AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To the best of my knowledge regarding the new two
> part paints, NO you cannot clear coat over old
> paint because it will not BOND. After a years or
> two the clear coat will start to peel.
>
> At one time some of the "used car" folks would
> clear coat over old paint and it looked very good.
> But after awhile the clear coat would start to
> peel. Made the car look like it had a bad case of
> dandruf.
>
> Even if the car is clear coated, most paints say
> that you should respray the base coat then
> clearcoat if the basecoat was applied more than 2
> to 6 hours previously. This is required to promote
> a bond between the basecoat/clearcoat.

Generally speaking once you have shot your base you have a 24 hour window before it should be cleared. Once you have a catalyzed clear on it you do not need to follow that rule. Basically I could clear my hood, and then let it sit for as long as I want, then wetsand it, and reclear it months later with no issues whatsoever. It's the bond between the base and the clear that you need to worry about...clear on clear not so much. Of course you're gonna need to have it wetsanded with 600 grit or so to ensure the new clear will stick....

Now if the paint on rnch's car is 10 years old...I'd consider a complete redo...but if it is only 4-5 years, I think he could get by with clear...with Maaco clear you're only gonna get probably 3-4 years out of it anyway...

'65 vert ~ Worcester, MA

SOLD!

Date: March 16, 2012 12:11PM

IDK about Maaco only; just used them as an example...I might check out the body & paint shops in my area and get their guestimates on clearing it if I prep it...what with today's sad economy; one of 'em might be just as inexpensive as Maaco!

I like patpaldino's logic, reasoning and explanation.

Date: March 16, 2012 12:56PM

I'm not saying I'm 100% correct either...just giving you options...the clear may delaminate over time as vairman said...but from what I know about the clears I've been using, I know that they can be wetsanded and recleared at a much later date. Sometimes if there is a lot of artwork to be done on a piece, we will we use a catalyzed clear to seal the base then scuff it, do the artwork at a leisurely pace, and reclear when ready.

Honestly I don't know how many bodyshops would be willing to just give your car a reclear. I know I once almost had a job to add graphcis to a failry new car and we were going to use a friend of mine's shop (my booth is too small). Job was to wetsand, add graphics, airbrush and reclear. My buddy was going to be in charge of the clearing. Cost was close to 2k to do that - DuPont clear, bake, etc. That was for reclearing only.

Maaco might be able to do just a reclear. If the paint is real tired than I don't know...maybe you could bring it down there for an inspection perhaps? Maybe also if they are willing to do it, you could perhaps supply your own clearcoat? If so, I'd buy a gallon of Matrix MS-42. Cost you about $250 for the setup with hardners, but the stuff is awesome! It is highsolids and the depth is just incredible on it. It also buffs beautifully if you decide to give it a cut/buff yourself...

Again, vairman probably knows more about me than painting cars...I spray bikes for a livin so different animals. I just know what I do from the products I use...and they may/may not relate to what you are trying to achieve...

The above was my disclaimer grinning smiley

'65 vert ~ Worcester, MA

SOLD!

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 16, 2012 08:33PM

I'll stand corrected.

Depending on the brand of paint, some companies do NOT require adding a base coat to redo a clear coat within the specified time period for that product. That's the key - time. And of course it's always prudent to recoat the clear using the same brand and type of clear coat.

In rnch's case it sounds like he has some old paint that may not even be a base/clear coat. So just shooting a clear coat over it would not produce a durable finish, and there's the question of compatibility with the paint on his car.

Date: March 16, 2012 10:15PM

I agree...the fact that it is soooo old, may not be prudent to just reclear...could be a cheap easy fix for a short time...but perhaps a full Maaco paint job might not be a whole lot more expensive...and if he went with a very similar color than they wouldn't need to jamb it perhaps either..

'65 vert ~ Worcester, MA

SOLD!

Date: March 17, 2012 12:44PM

Hmmmmmm............

eye popping smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.