Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Encountered a problem on my way to the corvair ranch
Date: March 14, 2012 08:22PM

I drove out to the corvair ranch today to pick up a 140 air cleaner crossover but Jeff was out driving the school bus, s o i figured i would go get something to eat and come back. As i got to Mickey D's drive thru, i noticed when i took my foot off the brake in D the car wasnt moving, i had to give it gas to move and then i let off the gas at the window and it stopped on its own. as i left the parking lot, the car was shaking really bad once it got to around 30 mph. i jabbed the brakes a couple times and pulled over. I turned the car off, ate my food, and i started it back up and took off to see what would happen. It was even harder to get going this time. then a kinda loud squeek came from the rear, sounded like passenger side maybe, and then nothing. Everything was back to normal. I didnt want to take no chances of getting stuck somewhere, so i just came home without stopping at the ranch. do you think one of the brakes was just stuck, or is there something else that could cause that to happen? axle bearing maybe???

1965 Corvair 500 140 P/G, 1962 Olds F85, 1967 1/2 Datsun 1600 roadster.

Fayetteville, PA
Jimmy Simpson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Encountered a problem on my way to the corvair ranch
Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: March 14, 2012 08:29PM

I'd check the brakes first.Axle bearings won't heal themselves and you would feel the rumble.

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 14, 2012 08:34PM

You blew it!!! imo!! What better palce to get a problem diagnosed but the Ranch??

Sure sounds like a brake..and probably won't see anything when you look..

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: March 14, 2012 08:46PM

your right, i should have just went back to the ranch and waited. Oh well, maybe i'll just go back tommorrow.

Fayetteville, PA
Jimmy Simpson

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: March 14, 2012 09:18PM

Since the problem "went away", I'd say sticking brakes or maybe something (like wiring or rope) that got wrapped around a drive line, broke and fell off?
Good time to do a thorough brake test/inspection!

You have an interesting stable. I'd like to see photos of your 500, F85 and 1600!

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: March 14, 2012 10:24PM

Possible bad rubber brake line, expanded inside? Or part of the brake hardware came off and got jammed in something?

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:59AM

Since the most likely suspect is your right rear brake. The right rear could be over adjusted, and when hot could be binding. At the very least an inspection is in order.
Hope you figure it out soon and get back to enjoying the ride.

John

Snowy Sparta Michigan.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 15, 2012 03:25AM

If they are original rubber brake hoses, start there and replace all four. They become check valves with age and crud.

Trust me....

And while you are replacing the hoses you can check the condition of the rest of the brake system. Check movement of all 8 pistons in the wheel cylinders.

Frank DuVal

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: March 15, 2012 06:45AM

I agree with Frank, most likely the brake hoses. How old are the hoses? If you don't know the answer to this one then it's time to replace them, they can look fine on the outside but you can't see the inside of them. The lines will colapse internally, when this happens fluid from the master cylinder is pushed past the colapse actuating the brake but will not return or is slow to return when the pedal is released cuasing the brake to lock up or drag.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: March 15, 2012 04:01PM

Might want to check out the backing plate also. They can get very grooved. Might could cause the shoe to bind(?)

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Date: March 15, 2012 05:31PM

here are a couple pics of my datsun.

Fayetteville, PA
Jimmy Simpson

Attachments:

Date: March 15, 2012 05:33PM

62 F85.

Fayetteville, PA
Jimmy Simpson

Attachments:

Date: March 15, 2012 05:40PM

when i drove my olds to the corvair ranch a couple months ago, Jeff was pretty excited seeing the original unrestored condition of it and immediatly started pointing out all the different interior parts and things that where the same on early model corvairs.

Fayetteville, PA
Jimmy Simpson

Attachments:
Posted by: Dustin ()
Date: March 17, 2012 02:29AM

Sorry to get off topic but I just contacted the ranch for a quote on some parts. Have you delt with them previously? Just wondering your opinion on them as a business. Thank you.

63 Corvair 95 40,500 orig. miles

Date: March 19, 2012 04:29PM

Yeah Dustin. I have dealt with Jeff at the ranch many times. I moved here 14 years ago from california. I had only been in PA for about a month when i just happened to be driving around in gettysburg and all of a sudden there it was. THE CORVAIR RANCH. I could'nt believe my eyes. I had never heard of it previously. I stopped in a talked to jeff, and asked him if he could show me around and if he had anything for sale. He showed me a 1963 8 door van which i came back and bought about a week later. A couple years after that I got another car from Jeff. It was a 69 500 140 speed car. Been showing up there on and off since. Jeff's a great guy and he has any part you could need and can help with any problems you have. I highly recommend the Corvair Ranch.

Fayetteville, PA
Jimmy Simpson

Posted by: shomeyrwit ()
Date: March 19, 2012 05:12PM

Back on point, probably brakes,, however

On a road trip from Memphis TN to Houston TX my right rear bearing started making noise, being young and foolish I figured I'de make it, it got noisier and noisier but never really felt like it was binding, then turning a corner about 300 miles from houston it locked up then POPPED then rolled smoothly, stoped and checked, no heat build up no noise,,, drove the 300 miles home, drove it to the beach the next day then stopped by my Corvair guru who looked it over and the bearing had locked and then spun in the race, but never came loose,and drove fine. He called me the luckiest guy he knew and put a new bearing in,,, wouldn't
actually call it self healing, but sure seemed that way that night

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:57PM

Sounds like you might have had a brake stuck.Maybe a wheel cylinder froze. When that happens usually they need to be rebuilt.I love your Datsun. I had a 69 Datsun 510. Wish I still had that one too.ggg. Also your olds is real nice.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.