Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Hei Distributor
Posted by: Zodi Davis ()
Date: March 05, 2012 08:50PM

can the inline 6 GM hei be used for modding to work on the corvair or is it the v6 version?
Regards to all, greg/Zodi Davis

Greg/Zodi Davis
Sierra Vista, AZ.
65" Monza convertible
65"Corsa turbo coupe
66" Corsa coupe 140
66" Monza 140
65"Corsa convertible
62" Rampside
64" corvan
64"Greenbriar deluxe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hei Distributor
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 05, 2012 08:52PM

Either one can and has been used... Read up on it here... several topics.. and a few sources of modifyied units for sale..by members here..

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: March 05, 2012 09:15PM

Do it your self with Napa part# 48-1697.

That is 79 GMC 292 inline six 1/2 ton pick up.

One year earlier if you prefer remote coil.

Matt is right (again) search HEI...many threads here.

Paso Robles CA and Palmtuckey CA-Unsafe At Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (est 1938) CORSA Member-Corsa West-High Desert Corvairs Corvanatic-Ventura County Corvair-Central Coast Corsa-Angel Fan Since 1978...HALO POWER!! So Cal Gas Since 1974 (retired) L/M Landspeed 3L/915 T04B methanol Coupe-65 Corsa-62 Rampside-B&M Blown Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-Next Build L/M ADE/BBC/PG/QC Street Racer-Diesel Streamliner 7.3IDI/C6/GV/9" Dream-1939 Lincoln Zephyr V12-Vehicles in My Possession...10

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: March 06, 2012 04:34AM

Quick cheap and easy although you do have to modify the turkey roaster for clearance.

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: March 06, 2012 05:28AM

Corvair distributor is on the left and as you can see has a longer shaft with different gear location. The second is a 292 point distributor. All inline Chevy distributors have a .030" smaller housing. That would let the distributor gear sit away from the drive gear.

1975 was first year for HEI in the inline six and only year for external coil. Better selection for coils with coil-in-cap. External coil HEI housing has different guide notch for the cap.

Attachments:

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 06, 2012 11:59AM

How are you guys modifiying the drive gear/oil pump end of the shaft? I can fab the bushing for the housing easy enough. I would think a pinned collar joining the shaft would work after you dealt with indexing the rotor to the drive gear.

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: March 06, 2012 03:31PM

..someplace upstairs I've got a box of big-cap HEI's,one V8 housing welded to the Corvair lower IIRC,,and an 'Olds' 231? V6 w/ V8 shaft and Corvair gear,and... indexing the gear with the rotor isn't needed,you turn (time) the housing to get the rotor and cap post right..had pics that Tim Colson took of my engine a few yrs ago,can't find them..someone here got the HEI module mounted externally and triggered by the points..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: March 06, 2012 11:54PM

Richard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Corvair distributor is on the left and as you can
> see has a longer shaft with different gear
> location. The second is a 292 point distributor.
> All inline Chevy distributors have a .030" smaller
> housing. That would let the distributor gear sit
> away from the drive gear.
>
> 1975 was first year for HEI in the inline six and
> only year for external coil. Better selection for
> coils with coil-in-cap. External coil HEI housing
> has different guide notch for the cap.

RICHARD: The rebuilt 79 292 HEI I bought from Napa that is in the racecar right now fit perfect.

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: March 07, 2012 12:13AM

Phil did you modify it at all ? Or just drop it in ?

John

1962 Rampside