Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The "keeper of the checkbook" is now unemployed; might have to sell
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: February 28, 2012 01:49PM

at least one of my LM's.

sad smiley

As she puts it "We need money and you have FOUR cars."

Aarrgghhhhhh!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The "keeper of the checkbook" is now unemployed; might have to sell
Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:30PM

STINKS DAMN ECONOMY

Sorry to hear that. I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that. Hang in there.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: miesvan ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:55PM

I feel for you man. Four months after we bought our Monza my boss calls me in and tells me he can't afford to pay me anymore (small company). Since we paid cash for the car we kept it with the intent of selling if we needed the money. After eight months of scraping together money from various 1099 jobs, my wife went back to work in town and six months after that I found work where I can work from home most of the week and earn a steady paycheck as well. If you told me a year ago everything will work out in time I would have given you a bitter laugh. Things will get better, but no one knows for sure when.

1966 Monza convertible, 110, 4 speed

Greenville, SC

Date: February 28, 2012 04:00PM

The new managemnet group terminated her on the first work day of last month (Happy New Year!); then tried to hire her back a week later for her old job with a new title, 30 hours a week, 60% of her old pay scale, with no benefits.

For some reason she chose to decline that generous job offer.

eye popping smiley

And your kids wonder why unions were formed....

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: February 28, 2012 04:11PM

I promised my wife who also keeps the books (accountant by trade) that I wouldn't spend to much on the project and sell my Chevy II to off-set the cost. Money is tight all over, she get less hours at her job, I'm on medical resriction at my job which also means no O.T. and I work for a company that in spite of making BILLIONS of dollars a year and giving themselves mulit million dollar raises, wants to cut our pay and benefits by over 10k a year. Good thing I do have a strong union!

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

Posted by: mdparrill ()
Date: February 28, 2012 04:12PM

Sorry to hear that. ..
Yea the ecomony stinks...all the bean counters
at companies only care about bottom line.

Small companies that care for its employees
are forced to downsize to make it.

And Obama says everything is great!!

When in fact its a mess.

Hopefully you can hang onto your vairs..

Check out my project and please donate!
Just Flips It!

Mike in Northern Virginia

Date: February 28, 2012 04:25PM

jimmyo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I promised my wife who also keeps the books
> (accountant by trade) that I wouldn't spend to
> much on the project and sell my Chevy II to
> off-set the cost. Money is tight all over, she get
> less hours at her job, I'm on medical resriction
> at my job which also means no O.T. and I work for
> a company that in spite of making BILLIONS of
> dollars a year and giving themselves mulit million
> dollar raises, wants to cut our pay and benefits
> by over 10k a year. Good thing I do have a strong
> union!

Ah feel yo' pain, jim!

Thanks to a slip/fall at work last year, workman's comp knee surgery and a massive MRSA staph infection, I also had my overtime eliminated..about a 20% pay cut for me. Now just my (reduced) income is all there is!

I don't see economic conditions improving for "the workers of the world" if rich man, corporation friendly, job slashing Romney is elected POTUS.

Posted by: teddbrown ()
Date: February 28, 2012 04:38PM

I normally try to keep my mouth shut..but it Sucks when no matter what the subject is, we have to bring our political views to the table.

No matter how right you think you are, your not going to change anyones opinion...period.

Respectfully asking: Its a Corvair Forum... lets keep it Corvair

Ted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2012 04:38PM by teddbrown.

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: February 28, 2012 04:48PM

Ted, I would generally agree with you on this. I hate to see the forum go political and like you, I generally tend to keep my mouth shut. But when it is still raw as in this case, it's hard not to vent. My wife works for a large international company well known in the computing world that despite its profitability cannot send jobs off-shore fast enough for the bean counters. Way too many of our friends along with my wife have been affected by this. IT SUCKS!!

And unfortunately, it is an election year, so brace yourself.

Now, to keep it on the Corvair track, looking forward to seeing you and your car in INDY next month.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: monzagal ()
Date: February 28, 2012 05:36PM

I know the feeling... when we got here and I was without work I considered it. Then while I was inbetween jobs I considered it again. My husband won't allow it though says I'd kick myself in the ass if I sold it.

Now the motorcycle.. he tries to get me to sell that all the time. I'm not budging on that one though either. winking smiley

Posted by: '66Monza ()
Date: February 28, 2012 06:18PM

I hope you find work and can keep all your 'vairs. I only have one and I cherish it dearly. Best of Luck.
And to those that think this is all political, gimme a break! The guy just lost his job! Geeez

Kurt
'66 Monza
110 4sp

Pittsburgh,Pa.

'66 Chevrolet Monza, Cleopatra in the drivewaySmall Corvair RF

Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: February 28, 2012 06:41PM

Sorry if I'm one of the comments preceived as political, I did not intend to be. For me, those are just the facts. The "bottom line" is king, and it seems no bottom line is ever big enough. That way of thinking effects us all, reguardless of political leanings.

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: February 28, 2012 07:26PM

THEY only kick you when your down.

eBay is the way to get any money for anything. Remember cash is king or gold!

Posted by: curt ()
Date: February 28, 2012 07:29PM

I agree, no political. That has to be on both sides of the table. It hurts to read the wrong political opinion and have it keep up. That's why I have responded in the past.

Posted by: ccvair ()
Date: February 28, 2012 08:14PM

Hell I know what its like to struggle and it sucks, loosing a job is hard on you mentally.Truthfully e-bay is good if you have alot to sell and or doing side work if you have a skill you can offer.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 28, 2012 08:33PM

rnch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The new managemnet group terminated her on the
> first work day of last month (Happy New Year!);
> then tried to hire her back a week later for her
> old job with a new title, 30 hours a week, 60% of
> her old pay scale, with no benefits.
===================================================================

I hope what they offered wasn't more the unemployment insurance pays! She could always look for other positions while giving them their " Money's Worth" ggg

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: February 28, 2012 09:39PM

...and people think that we're crazy because we each have our OWN checkbook!

What I can offer you though is this. A car car sold will pay a bill this month, maybe next month too. But what about the month after that? Are you going to sell another car, or the house, or her diamond ring? Of course not. She is worried about needing money, but it sounds like she really is worried about needing a job. Myabe instead of focusing on Corvair depletion, offer to help her work on the resume, mail some out, job search on-line, etc... Just show her you have an interest in helping her find good paying employment again. If that doesn't work, you gotta do what you gotta do. I chose to run up my credit cards when I found myself severly under employed a few years ago. Got through it, kept toys and when things got better, paid down the bills. Still got one I'm working on, but I keep steady on it to remind me that it's not always gonna be bright and sunny outside - also to dissuade me from impulsive purchases. It's the angel on my shoulder that says, "Be good and pay your bill first". The Devil makes me buy Corsas.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: ron L ()
Date: February 29, 2012 12:26AM

I'm with Mike. I tried the "selling to make ends meet" route a few years back and it was the dumbest decision ever. Not only did I lose my high school car I had for decades, but spare parts, wheels, tires, and other things I wish I still had. I could've just worked part-time somewhere in a mall and scrimp on things a little bit until things got better. Things are much better now but it'll take me years, if ever, to buy all those things back.

I don't know your wife rnch so I'm not using her as an example, but splitting the bank accounts and paychecks was the best thing I've ever done financially. Not only are the bills paid with the same income, we actually have extra money for other things like vacations and family dinners out in town, and I could finally afford a car payment for something that isn't a POS. Before it was always "We don't have money for that", "We can't afford that" etc. even for the smallest things, and I was constantly worried the grocery wouldn't accept my check, or my credit card would be declined leaving me stranded with no gas. Who knows what the heck they spend money on?

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: February 29, 2012 02:29AM

I am the sole source of income for my household of one and know from experience that selling off cars to pay bills comes back to bite us on the backside eventually.

Last time I was out of work I sold my COPO Camaro and Kelmark V8 Corvair to keep current with all of my bills. I have been kicking myself since then.

This time around I have no intention of selling my Corvair or my Prowler to pay the bills. (My daily driver is a 1991 S-10 with 197K miles on it) I lost my job back on January 3rd 2012 but have been able keep everything current except the mortgage. My employer is fighting my unemployment benefits because that is the way they operate. I too ran up one of my credit cards to keep things going after getting a 15% pay reduction two years ago then when it was about maxed out, there goes the job.

As much as being unemployed stinks, I am happy I no longer work for a greedy unethical company with no integrity. When I accepted that job I never realized I would be there as long as I was. This time around I am trying to not settle simply for a paycheck. I need to find a good employer (I know, fat chance).

By paying everything except the mortgage I will only have one place trying to collect a debt and reporting negatively to the credit people. Before becoming unemployed my credit rating was excellent (801/815/824) and I know it will take a hit.

Immediately after realizing I was likely to miss some mortgage payments, I called the mortgage company to try to make arrangements to pay them interest, insurance, and taxes only but no principal for a while but they really did not want to talk to me unless I was at least 60-90 days behind. They did tell me that if they were to modify my mortgage, they would need to raise the interest rate because mine is lower than what they could offer. I owe twelve more years on the house which would pay it off before thinking of retirement.

I am currently less than 30 days behind and now they are calling me every day, twice a day with automated messages. They are gonna tick me off and make me less willing to be cooperative. Fortunately I am not "upside down" with my equity and if necessary could possibly sell the house and walk away with some cash. If I get to 90 days behind I will likely do just that.

Sometimes being responsible really stinks but it is better than being irresponsible.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 02:32AM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: macavs ()
Date: February 29, 2012 03:12AM

Let's not political while getting political,eye rolling smiley

Hope the wife finds a new job soon rnch. Don't sell a Corvair because they aren't worth much. However, a ten year old Malibu, Camry, or Taurus with 120K + miles goes for between 5k to 8k around here these days. Go figure?

Mike C ........... Northern Indiana

1965 Corsa

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.