Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Clarks alternator upgrade kit?
Posted by: nodice5542 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 04:56AM

anyone use the alternator upgrade kit from clarks? Im going to upgrade from my gemerator to an alternator for my van, just wondering if theres any thing i should expect, I know it comes with a lot of parts but do i need anything not in the kit?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe
Antioch,CA
1962 8-door panel (bagged)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clarks alternator upgrade kit?
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 25, 2012 05:41PM

I suspect their kit is pretty complete and they will tell you what you need to roundup on your own. I also suspect most people on this forum have done this upgrade without buying the Clarks kit by rounding up the needed stuff from a junkyard. As far as the electrical check the Corsa Tech Guides, past Communiques, talking to other club members, searching archives, etc. This has to be one of the easiest upgrades 1 can do to any Corvair, especially early models.

Posted by: KiwiJames ()
Date: February 25, 2012 06:03PM

Just buy a 10SI or 12SI Alternator, swap drive end frames and fan/pulleys and ditch the voltage regulator. The wiring can be done by following the diagram in the CORSA tech guide. You can just jump the wires at the ends or unwrap the looms and remove them completely. You need to put a new plug on the end for the alt. I guess you'll also need to buy a filter adapter if you still have an early engine. It easy and pretty satisfying. I think it cost me about NZ$75 (At the time about US$45) but I didn't need a filter adapter.

Have a go!

James
66 Corsa 140. 4 speed
Auckland, New Zealand

Posted by: PaleHorse25 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 06:42PM

I picked up a kit from Rafee a while back. I have very limited experience with electrical stuff and I found it a very easy process. the kit came with a filter adapter, alternator,new gasket, bolts, and a few wires. The hardest part for me was bolting it up.. And that was pretty easy.

Posted by: nodice5542 ()
Date: February 26, 2012 10:09AM

ok,thanks guys thanks for the imput.

Joe
Antioch,CA
1962 8-door panel (bagged)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.