Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Cutest heater ever for my V8
Posted by: chanceparker ()
Date: February 24, 2012 02:07AM

I've been trying to figure out a good heater solution for my water pumper and may have found one. Check out this rear seat heater from an old Land Rover. It's about 10x7X4 and has the fan integrated into the center of the round heater core...the fan blade reminds me of a water pump impeller. It only has a simple 2-speed switch and no way to adjust the ducting for defrost, but I really only need it to keep the chill off when it's cool anyway. The airflow is primarily out of the bottom with small holes on each side and the top, so I might get a little defrost effect anyway.

I've hooked it up and it's really quiet and pushes a decent amount of air.

I'm going to mount it up under the dash where the radio goes. I'll keep a dummy radio face plate and then mount a modern stereo either under the dash or maybe in a custom center console.

Craig, I thought you would get a kick out of it.

Chance Parker
Golden, Colorado
Auminum LS-powered 1965 Corsa Convertible

More Pictures

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutest heater ever for my V8
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 24, 2012 02:10AM

Lucas??? I don't know..... cold and dark??? ggg

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 24, 2012 02:12AM

You're right, Chance - your post did get my attention. Nice!

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Date: February 24, 2012 04:31AM

Believe it or not, it's made by Nippondenso.

Chance Parker
Golden, Colorado

More Pictures

Posted by: metalman ()
Date: February 24, 2012 07:39AM

Yeah, I've been contemplating what to do for a heater in my car. For starters I'll definitly be getting those seat heaters.

I'm not too worried about A/C for now, though my engine does have a bolt on provision for it.

If anyone has any other simple options for heaters, can you share them please? I was also considering a generic unit from JC whitney and mount it on the rear package tray.

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: February 24, 2012 10:52AM

Very cute, Chance. What's stopping you from using a regular heater core?

I got a 12v ceramic heat/defroster from Harbor Freight. Takes 15 minutes just to defrost the windshield. Worthless as a cabin heater. I use a heat/massage cushion to warm ME up. One of these days, I'll get around to pulling the heater box and putting a new core in.

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Date: February 24, 2012 12:56PM

There just isn't much space under the dash for anything to fit. I also picked up a Vintage Air compact heater/defroster that's really nice, but it just doesn't fit very well. It would hang down below the dash quite a bit.

And obviously the stock heater core isn't very effectivesmiling bouncing smiley

Chance Parker
Golden, Colorado

More Pictures

Posted by: BritCars ()
Date: February 24, 2012 01:06PM

It's a takeoff on the original Smith's heater that came in the first Land Rovers - as options. In the UK auto magazine took to calling it a "fug stirrer."

North American realized that their customers would freeze to death before completing their payments and instead found their solution in the "Kodiak heater," which used a larger core and stronger fan motor. These days Rovers North in Vermont makes the "Mt Mansfield heater" which combines an even stronger motor and larger core that will fit into the tight confines of a classic Land Rover body. I must say it works quite well.

The only Land Rovers that even had bench-type rear seats were the 109" station wagons, whose extra length and size meant they were even colder than the more common 88" models. Land Rover did not offer the rear seat heater as a formal option but individual dealers could, and did, offer custom solutions. And, of course, the aftermarket pounced on this opportunity.

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, Maine 04863
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 hp 4-speed
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" HT
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
'80 Triumph Spitfire
[www.landroverwriter.com]
[www.dirgocorvairs.com]
[roversmagazine.com]

Posted by: 18gtuohy ()
Date: February 24, 2012 03:15PM

That sure looks like the rear heater from a 70's era Toyota FJ landcruiser. Could both Toyota and Land Rover use the same heater?

Posted by: ColoradoJustin ()
Date: February 24, 2012 03:44PM

"cutest heater ever" - I hear by suspend your Man Card for 24 hours!

Date: February 24, 2012 04:02PM

point taken

Chance Parker
Golden, Colorado

More Pictures

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: February 25, 2012 12:48AM

[www.ebay.com]

This e-bay ad will probably have expired before you read this but it is almost identical to the 6 volt 1957 Chevrolet Truck heater that was in my late model Kelmark car. The heater was mounted under the dash on the passenger side and was almost not visible to most people. It had a round heater core (like a donut) and the blower motor was in the center of the heater core. Since it was 6 volt it had a resister to reduce the 12 volts to 6.

Another thing to consider is to mount a heater core up under the package shelf neat the original heater blower motor. It might be possible to then run a hose up under the floor pans to the dash for heat and defrost like it was from the factory.

I had thought of finding a small accessory under dash or stand alone heater unit and mount it under the engine cover with vents that would come out through the engine cover into the passenger compartment behind the seats but never got around to it since what I had was working.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2012 12:49AM by Caraholic4life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.