Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Welding question: nozzle and tip
Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: February 23, 2012 06:38AM

I am still working on welding patches in my engine compartment and some underside areas at the front of the rear fenderwells. Practice and lots of reading has improved my welding some, but I need to be better before I tackle a couple areas around the engine opening that will require Bondo and paint. I know to tack weld and move around to keep the area cool.

I have a Campbell Hausfeld MIG 115 with 4 settings and variable wire speed, that I bought for $100. I am using .030 wire with gas (75/25 argon & something). Flux was fine without the gas, but I got tired of having to clean the weld constantly to see how I did. I learned from brocklanders Fitch post that I needed to turn my speed way down and that improved things dramatically. Also learned that the weld area must be CLEAN, especially at low settings. I thought that cleaning on each side of the weld about 1/8" or so was good enough. No way. Am now cleaning a much larger area and results are better. I may pick up some .025 or .023 wire because I have read that it would be even easier to use with sheet metal.

My question is about about how far the welding tip should be recessed in the nozzle -or if it should stick out. Neither my tip or nozzle are adjustable and my tip is recessed into the nozzle about 3/16". I have read that with the tip flush with the nozzle, or sticking out some, I would have better results on thin steel. I can cut the nozzle down easily. What is your advice?

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Welding question: nozzle and tip
Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:01AM

Your gas mix is Argon/co2 and your tip is fixed as per design so don't mess just learn to weld with it. Follow the chart provided with the unit and have at it. TIG on the other hand the tip adjustment is critical. By all means pick up a spool of .023 wire and by the proper tip for that wire.

Tip: buy your expendables at a welding supply and ask ?s they want your business and will help you out.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Posted by: 63spyder ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:59AM

Go with smaller wire it makes a big difference

Wayne in Glide Oregon
63 spyder conv.(wifes car finished ,owned 17 years)65 monza conv.unfinished 14 years and never driven,yet!!!.61 rampside (new toy and distraction)

Posted by: gmorphan ()
Date: February 23, 2012 08:34AM

The tip should be slightly shrouded by the gas cup, your gun sounds about right.
Your idea of getting .023 Wire is good, this allows lower amperage for thinner materials.
Your gas selection (75% CO2 & 25% Argon) is higher quality but probably not necessary for MIG'ing steel sheet metal. I use straight
Keep a close eye on the gas flow. Make sure your getting just enough flow when the trigger is pressed. Too little and you get dirty welds, too much is just a waste.

Bob Manwaring, Kingston, TN
'69 500 Coupe #1432

Posted by: gmorphan ()
Date: February 23, 2012 08:53AM

gmorphan Wrote:
-----------------------------------------
> I use straight .......

CO2 for most bodywork.

Bob Manwaring, Kingston, TN
'69 500 Coupe #1432

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 09:23AM

My $.02 on gas: for 22/20 ga mild steelusing .025 wire the 75/25 settings on my mig (Lincoln 216) are B/125 the CO2 setting is C/150.
Argon/CO2 mix allows better gas saturation that equates to less heat and warpage. Both gasses work but I prefer the 75/25 mix.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Posted by: Leon Renaud ()
Date: February 23, 2012 06:27PM

Run .023 wire and the proper tip for it and get in the habit now of cutting off the balled tip of your wire before every weld or tack. Don't try welding on any dirty surfaces clean away all paint and rust first 110 machines don't like any dirt.You will get much better weld starts that way also less tendency to blow holes in the material being welded,This is important on thin stuff like sheet metal.Leaving a slight gap at your weld joints will help also once you are used to your machine and running a bead you want a gap the thickness of a business card no more you can get "welders magnets cheap at Harbor Freight and other suppliers to help hold your pieces while tacking the small gap will aid in penetration and help control distortion some what.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 06:28PM by Leon Renaud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.