Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Gas prices!
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 23, 2012 12:44PM

Its Because of those freeking Greedy Oil guys from the middle east!!grinning smiley But don't worry!! gas will be down to $2 a gallon come Election time and guess who will take credit for it to help get re-Elected!! Its all a big political scam!

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 23, 2012 02:23PM

mdparrill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get a locking gas cap!!!
> Remember everyone stealin gas in the 70's

Yes. I do remember. On my parents cars (with locking caps) gas thieves used an awl to punch a hole in the tanks and drained the fuel out the bottom. Desperate people to bother with that method.

Posted by: Jamison82 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 02:46PM

Would it be a cardinal sin to switch out the corvair motor with a VW engine, hahaha

Jamison
1965 Corsa Convertible - Fixer Upper
Glendale, CA

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 23, 2012 05:52PM

At this point only a kerfuffle with the Iranians and $10 a gallon gas prices are the only thing that might keep the campaigner in chief from re-election....

Paso Robles CA and Palmtuckey CA-Unsafe At Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (est 1938) CORSA Member-Corsa West-High Desert Corvairs Corvanatic-Ventura County Corvair-Central Coast Corsa-Angel Fan Since 1978...HALO POWER!! So Cal Gas Since 1974 (retired) L/M Landspeed 3L/915 T04B methanol Coupe-65 Corsa-62 Rampside-B&M Blown Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-Next Build L/M ADE/BBC/PG/QC Street Racer-Diesel Streamliner 7.3IDI/C6/GV/9" Dream-1939 Lincoln Zephyr V12-Vehicles in My Possession...10

Posted by: brentc ()
Date: February 23, 2012 06:30PM

Its $5.38 a US gal in Vancouver, BC at the moment for 87 octane near my house, the news suggests it will be over $7 a gallon by summer...its been that high before here once or twice, so wouldn't be surprised.

I think the Canadian price disadvantage is likely higher Canadian taxes mostly- I may have to stop driving and get a private rail car!

Brent

Date: February 23, 2012 06:32PM

Sadly I voted for Obama, I don't feel there's been much good change. In spite of my reservations I may vote Republican in hope that we'll go back to the basics. Politics are like their own private sectors looking to make a buck!

Maybe I'll look at FI for better mpg.

Jamison
Glendale, CA

Posted by: shomeyrwit ()
Date: February 23, 2012 06:37PM

My reference to cleaner Premium is based on the fact that once blended it is kept separate from other fuels.

Regular Unleaded (RBOcool smiley is the bastard stepchild of fuels, it is used as the buffer for diesel (ULSD) and Premium (PBOcool smiley, if they are shipping ULSD through a pipeline and want to switch to PBOB they put RBOB into the line then PBOB then RBOB again after the PBOB is done,,, any tails (the small section that actually becomes a mixture of ULSD and RBOB , or PBOB and RBOB ) are dumped into the RBOB tanks,,,, so regular Unleaded is almost never just regular unleaded, but Premium and Diesel are, at least until they leave the terminal,,, at which point anything can happen

Posted by: brentc ()
Date: February 23, 2012 06:40PM

Well, nobody in Canada voted for any of the US presidents, and the prices are high here, not sure how much influence any of the candidates really have....

Canada is second only to Saudi Arabia for oil reserves, we have about what Iraq and Iran combined do, or about two and a half times what Russia or Venezuela have and we still pay thru the nose for it. The Canadian dollar has risen about 60% against the US dollar in the last few years, if it was at its usual weak rate we'd be paying over ten bucks a gallon up here...

I actually own a piece of the family oil well, it was drilled in 1951. Since 1970 the amount of oil we're getting from it has been halved about every five years, currently my royalties are about $9 a month, I should stop getting the cheques and just take my cut in WD-40!

Brent

Posted by: dan giannotti ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:03PM

No way it should be traded on the Stock Exchange, its totally BOGUS..If
you can't take deloivery of the PRODUCT, you have NO right buying/driving
up the prices...

These guys trading in futures are nothing more than Crooks...

Posted by: mike hicks ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:16PM

Well, nobody in Canada voted for any of the US presidents, and the prices are high here, not sure how much influence any of the candidates really have....

Oh don't be naive, it's always those DAMN LIB'S fault!!! Everyone knows that.

The number of rigs in U.S. oil fields has more than quad­rupled in the past three years to 1,272, according to the Baker Hughes rig count.link

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: February 23, 2012 07:36PM

mike hicks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> The number of rigs in U.S. oil fields has more
> than quad­rupled in the past three years to
> 1,272, according to the Baker Hughes rig
> count.link

I believe that, but the real question is... where is the oil from those rigs going? To the hihgest bidder. Keystone oil brought down to the terminals there would just be tankered out, again to the highest bidder. It would be naive to believe anything else. And to those politicos promising $2.50/gal after THEY become Prez... riiiight.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: February 23, 2012 08:40PM

Almost all of the oil refined near Houston is from Venezuela, we seel the light sweet easy to refine crude overseas,

makes no damn sense

Incidently the above post refered to PBOB, RBOB , and ULSD NOT PBOcool smiley and RBOcool smiley though O) is kinda cool

Date: February 23, 2012 08:40PM

I meant cool smiley

Date: February 23, 2012 08:46PM

There should be an unofficial holiday for protesting gas prices, someone needs to put Facebook to work in the USA!

Jamison
Glendale, CA

Posted by: dodgeboy69 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 08:52PM

Yes, American oil and Canadian oil will go and does to the highest bidder. Natural gas is the same way since it can be shipped out of the country. No regulations on these companies means "bleed the people for all they are worth". If I can get some money together from who knows where, I am going to buy an used Volkswagen Beetle with a diesel and a stick shift. Diesel may be higher priced, but 50+ MPG well makes up the difference.

Has anyone ever looked into air pressure powering an internal combustion engine. I have and it looks possible. I am not talking about a "hybrid"

Posted by: corvairbusguy ()
Date: February 23, 2012 08:57PM

>
>
> Just registering the car in Cal. will negate
> 15,000 miles of savings.... What does that mean Matt?

Pete
Norfolk, VA
Tidewater Corvair Club
Volkswagen Club of Tidewater
Fullmoonbusclub.com

Date: February 23, 2012 09:05PM

matt means it cost to much to register cars in California

Date: February 23, 2012 09:14PM

I cant remember the actual numbers and dont have the info to re crunch them, but a few years back I did a cost analysis on buying a prius over buying a Yaris, in the end I wouldnt break even until I had driven 75000 miles,,, then the battery cost would have to be figured in,,, and Hybrids are not the answer

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: February 23, 2012 11:10PM

[www.thefiscaltimes.com]

[seekingalpha.com]

[money.msn.com]

[money.msn.com]

Yep, there ain't nothing you can do......hopefully we won't be seeing gas prices go UP UP & AWAY anytime soon or some of us might resort to balloon travel for commuting.
Like Sly once sang, GONNA TAKE YOU HIGHER,
we have known for decades that "oil" is a world commodity which we have almost no control over since we produce very little of it, yet consume a huge majority of it, in relation to what we produce. Sure, there are untapped resources and new technologies to retrieve it.... The cost to do so, isn't practical when oil is relatively low in price per bbl on world mkts.
Extraction in certain instances is more costly than middle east/desert sands.
Technology has made deep oil drilling possible that wasn't possible in 1982.
With it are some inherent risks......CVX (Chevron) drilling in hugely oil rich deep water off of Brazillian coast, small drilling related spills become much harder to combat in deep water. e.g. BP (British Petroleum) and the Gulf of Mexico.......
There are huge oil resources off of the coast of Africa, the Nigerian coast in particular, but you've got turbulent rogues/pirates/thugs who break into the pipeline stealing millions of bbls of crude and causing much more in lost/leaked crude, not to mention production costs associated with this and the corrupt nature of the state govt there.
Long story short, everybody knows OIL is not a clean business, its a dirty one, but if we don't want to change our dependence on oil by decreasing our consumption, then we must make use of our own resources as much as possible, though this is only practical when oil is at least moderately priced on the world stage. When crude is very cheap, the cost to extract and refine the crude from our own such resources is not cost effective.
If it weren't for the major integrated oil companies and their capital investments, discoveries in technology and oil finds, and their engineering talent, we would be in a much, much, worse situation.
There hasn't been a new refinery constructed in the USA since 1976, yet through engineering/technology advances of capital investment and the most update advances, refining capacity is likely quadrupled over what was possible from these refineries just thirty years ago.

Everybody wants $0.30 gasoline or at least $2.00 gasoline, yet the average person has no clue about the most basic knowledge of economics or how the stuff that they put in their gas tank is produced and the location in the world from which it originates.
You can't just wish it were like 1970 and wave a magic wand and say Presto, here it is.

If you are a betting person, and you don't mind investing in both US and International oil related companies, than perhaps you might want to at least monitor how these players do:
(XOM) (CVX) (COP) (OXY) (BP) (HAL) (RIG) (TOT) (MPC) (E) (PBR)

(STO) (RDS.A) (REPYY)

Those are just some. Those are their respected ticker symbols.
Plug the symbol in at any number of sites/search engines like Google, etc and you should be able to get corporate profiles, latest news, analyst recs, latest financials, synopis of what they actually do/where and how and future prospects.

Posted by: dan giannotti ()
Date: February 23, 2012 11:50PM

Lets start with the word GREED, starting on Wall Street continuing into
the Major Fuel suppliers and ending with Obama's subsidized Campaigns...

The above all feed on Greed..

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.