Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
what other distributor fits corvairs
Posted by: Gojubill ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:14AM

I'm having a problem with my engine in my sand rail. i have a 140 modified and i'm thinking of changing out the dist to electronic . i have a accel 300 + kit with a fireball coil . the power pack really kicks ass but i want to take out the points. i have seen other distributors used in the past . i have a problem with it backfiring when i let off the gas after i go though 2nd & 3rd when i let off (bang ) haha neighbors think i'm shooting at them hahaha. I have a 750 double pump with a 270 cam . i lowered the size of jets in the carb too 43 in the front. that made a big difference but now it back fires. plugs are not getting black anymore. any help will be appreciated . thanks for looking .

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what other distributor fits corvairs
Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:35AM

no other dizzy will fit w/o mods to the dizzy. there are many electronic points replacement kits that will fit the vair dizzy cuz it uses the same setup as other gm 6 engines.

also - id suggest not to run that long extension w/the oil pressure sender on top. that setup will crack/break & you will have a big oil leak/mess. if you dont notice is fast enough - good bye engine.

-Scott V.

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:40AM

There is a loacl guy in Ottawa who owns a White 65 vert and it has a HEI 6 cylinder dist installed in it.

He says it works fine.

I don't like the looks of it.

Posted by: Mountain Pilot ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:48AM

Do-Not use brass pipes on the oil pressure tap, or fuel pump, bass will fatigue and break. Steel fittings are the only thing to use....

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:59AM

..Pertronix drop-in is the easiest,cheapest at $75..late-70's GM big cap HEI has been done,but needs shroud modified a bit to clear,,the 84-85 2.8 HEI,with E-coil,LeVeque's did for me looks stock and is going in the 140 I'm assembling now..IIRC,Dale used Chrysler guts in the Corvair distrib that works well..backfiring sounds like leaks in the intake and/or exhaust,and maybe too much unburnt fuel..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:02AM

As scottv says... only with mods

Your backfire is over richness.. the carb!!

Many use an older Mallory modded to Electronics..

iirc Starr Cooke sells them...

ps use a Grease Gun hose instead of the brass... mount the senders on the tube..

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: February 20, 2012 04:36AM

I have a Mallory rev-pol dual point distributor if you're interested. I got it from Jon Brakke, he only used it for racing, I never used it. It's in excellent condition. PM me,

Rocco

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:37PM

This has got me to thinking. I wanted to run an electronic ignition in my 60 but, they don't fit the 60. What option would I have to do that?
I was going to change to a later dissy, if possible, to be able to run the pentronix, but wonder if anyone has done this to their 60?

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then!

Front profile now!

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:41PM

750 double pumper is ALOT of fuel for any vair engine. 600 double pumper may be a better choice.

Posted by: tboltkc ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:52PM

Mallory Unilite distributor: [www.summitracing.com]

-Travis

'65 Corsa 180/4; '63 Convertible 102/PG; '62 Deluxe Station Wagon; '65 Monza 4DR 110/4; RUPP Chevy Jr.; Red HUFFY Corvair Bike

Heart of America Corvair Owners Assocation (Kansas City, MO)

"Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer."
-Maureen Ogle, beer historian

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 20, 2012 03:53PM

If you are handy with a lathe, you can adapt one of the several distributors available for the in-line Chevy 6-cylinder (1963-1975). The main shaft of the distributor has to be replaced or re-worked to match the length and drive tab of the Corvair. This is basically the same mod that guys have done to install the GM HEI units. Some folks have welded them, most have pinned an extension to the HEI shaft. The housing above the clamping flange of the distributor is about the same as the COrvair, larger on the in-line 6 HEI though. I modified and sold about a dozen of the MSD distributors with new shafts installed. I still run one on my race car. On my street car, I run a Pertronix Ignitor 2 with the appropriate coil. What "list number" Holley - it is stamped on the choke housing - are you running on the dune buggy? BY the way, nice wires!

Seth Emerson

Posted by: Gojubill ()
Date: February 23, 2012 12:20PM

I do have a lathe that i can use . I'm going to take some measurments and try to make a shaft for another dist. The holley is a 750 with a 933 trick kit i have been adjusting it and i got it to run very well. no more back firing. but i still wat to do the dist. that tube curling around the cage is not a wire smiling smiley its a temp oil gauage for me to look at when i run the engine. haha i don't trust electronic gauges. I'm hoping to finish it in a month and goin to clean up everything . I'll post another pic for you guys . hahah its just a big toy. I want to thank everyone for their input.I try to read allthe posts on this site. I had 2 vairs when i was younger and not iuse the engines for other toys. On another note. with the thermister in the head do you guys run it thought a relay so when then engine gets too hot it shuts down the engine ? I have a temp gauge and that works great but i wanted to but in a saftey backup. what do you think? give me your thoughts .

Thanks guy for reading my post . :p)

Posted by: corvair.crazy ()
Date: March 16, 2012 05:16AM

Can anybody identify these distributors for me? the first two I am sure are corvair, but the other????

Jon

1962 Rampside
1962 Spyder

Attachments:

Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: March 17, 2012 07:46AM

Pretty sure the 3rd dizzy is a 216/235, but its been a very long time since I had one...

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: March 17, 2012 03:13PM

Vacuum advance for a 216 or 235 is mounted on the bottom as part of the clamp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.