Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Clark's Fuel Injection Kit
Posted by: ron L ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:56AM

It can mean 4 throttle bodies, or it might include block-off plates, or adapters so one throttle body can cover both ports, or... My question was to Ted about the EFI, not the difference between a 110 and 140 engine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:10AM

We understood that...but not that you wouldn't just use his 2 port kit... like most would if not wanting all 4 ports..

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:44AM

I am so impressed with Ted's work I don't know what to say. A new high water mark.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:51AM

It's the FIRST decently priced BIG item I've seen in a long time!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: teddbrown ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:04PM

What's up with the 140?

Currently we are working on the fuel tables for a 140. To do this, we ride around with a computer in the car, track and record everything, export the data and then make changes.....then do it again until you are close enough (less than 10%) for the O2 sensor to make the changes. We plan to have it by the end of March.

Current setup is the same as the LM-110 with block-off plates. The TBI-700 will flow at about 300CFM each so the TBI is not the restriction. The Corvair intake is about 1.3 inches and can be bored so little that its not worth it for the normal user. With that said, these TBIs can pump a lot of fuel (2.5L equiv each), so we think that the performance will be at least the same with the 2 TBI vs the 4 Carb.

Future - A higher performance intake is already be designed (not built) that takes the same TBI and ties in both intake ports for more air flow. We will build and test later this year, but that will be an add-on to the kit and not offered as part of a kit.

Air cleaners are close to completion. One design is 2 each Mr Gasket Chrome Deep Dish Filters on our special adapters. The Other design is the adapters that will allow use of the factory Air Cleaner System.

Wagons have to use a low profile filter system and put some type of riser on the lid. There is 1/4" of clearance between the Air Cleaner and the lid. We do not build this cleaner

FC - We are still working this as it reverse pulls the throttle - seems simple until you try to put it in a kit that can be installed by an end user.

Ted Brown
Anderson, SC
68 Convert 110/PG/EFI/DIS
61 Loadside Automatic
61 Rampside 4 speed
130HP/PG/Honda Engine Project
**UPDATED** Corvair Fuel Injection and DIS Page

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: February 20, 2012 04:59PM

If I could still use my "cool" air cleaners with Ted's system, I would have considered it for my 140 Vair. I'll be spending more in the end, but I'm going with Ray Sedman's system as it will allow 4 ports, non-progressive. DIS portion is coming first. I have the crank trigger and pickup, and the O2 sensor and meter with knock indicator should be here late this week, or early next. Taking NOTHING away from Ted's system, it is fabulous!

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: February 21, 2012 07:10AM

It would be nice to get rid of my Qjet

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: February 21, 2012 08:03AM

What should be really interesting is how this system is likely to pick up steam (interest from Corvair masses) as the real-world operational drive reports come from Timmy Gee in Timbuktwoo and Wally Willica in Boondocks, a half a world away, each give positive reviews on how well it works for them.
That, real experiences and commentary on how much it improves their Corvairs, is what is gonna "Start The Snowball Effect".

The positive reviews from the early adopters and once those early adopters' Corvair club pals, see it upclose and how well it works, and the benefit of going Brown................
..........................those early adopters are gonna be the world's best salespeople for the Clark's Fuel Injection Kit.

Things like how happy the early adopter customers are all over the world are.
Timbucktwoo and Boondocks, and Hole-indawall.
Once that occurs, then you will see more Corvair owners moving this EFI kit to the top of their priority list of Budgeted to do's for their Corvairs, taking the place of New Interior/New Wheels/New Paint/New Carpet/New Stereo, etc.

This seems to be an extremely well thought out kit, that is a quasi nineteen nighties factory GM bolt-on kit at a reasonable price point
and it should be fairly simple to install.

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: February 21, 2012 08:35AM

When I get another one, a 95/110 version, this is the first-do.. my daughter has expressed an interest in driving one. I have 3 years to get ready. I want to make sure it runs like a modern car for her.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: February 21, 2012 08:51AM

It would be even COOLER if affordable reworked heads with angled ports and big intake logs that fit this system were available for racing and street use!

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: Wabbitkiller ()
Date: February 21, 2012 08:24PM

I still want one for mine, but it's probably a couple of years down the road for me. The fact that Clarks has picked it up bodes well for all of us because they have additional resources to throw at the project. Congrats go to Ted!

Chris

1965 Monza 95 Convertible 4 speed

Olathe, KS (Kansas City)

Posted by: ron L ()
Date: February 21, 2012 10:28PM

Is there a way to get a datastream function through a laptop for end users?

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 21, 2012 10:51PM

ron L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a way to get a datastream function
> through a laptop for end users?

In my understanding, yes. Ted's system uses a stock GM ECM which includes an "ALDL" (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link"). It will communicate with scan-tools and code-readers. There are programs and apps that permit computers to read the data and codes. You just have to purchase the program and cable.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: February 21, 2012 11:05PM

ron L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a way to get a datastream function
> through a laptop for end users?

unless the chip is locked/encrypted programs like tunercat will take care of what you ask. you will need the aldl cable & some other little hardware - all available.

-Scott V.

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: February 21, 2012 11:30PM

This company has some, not sure which one you need. [www.aldlcable.com]

John

1962 Rampside