Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How To,,Hook up and Run the engine out of the Car! (For Frog And devypower!) grinning smiley
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 18, 2012 01:54AM

You wantewd to see it!!!drinking smileysmoking smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead
Visit My web site(Under Construction)
Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
I AM THE GRIM REAPER FOR OLD CARS!
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How To,,Hook up and Run the engine out of the Car! (For Frog And devypower!) grinning smiley
Posted by: Jim ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:19AM

Good demo, thanks

Re: How To,,Hook up and Run the engine out of the Car! (For Frog And devypower!) grinning smiley
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:24AM

Thanks Dave!

What wire connects to the negative side of the coil?

Perhaps you could provide a schematic or a quick listing of all the electrical connections to supplement your video such as:

1. Battery cable connects negative battery post to ground on bellhousing
2. Battery cable connects positive battery post to large bolt on solenoid
3. etc, etc

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
CORSA Eastern Division Director

Click here for the slideshow of my '69 Monza vert

1962 Rampside - ORANGE - Driving & showing it
1964 Monza Convertible - WHITE - In pieces awaiting restoration
1969 Monza Convertible - AZTEC BRONZE - Driving & showing it

Posted by: dansk ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:27AM

Great video Dave for everyone. I even learned a thing or two lol.
Keep them coming and next time I see you, you need to teach me how you get the video on a thread.
Dann

Dann
So. Calif.
Granada Hills
Daily drivers
1996 Ford E350 Powerstroke diesel
2003 Volkwagen Jetta
Fun cars
1965 Corsa Turbo (currently undergoing total restoration) + 65 Corsa 140 waiting for resto
1994 Dodge Viper RT10
1996 Dodge Viper GTS
1998 Dodge Viper GT2

Date: January 18, 2012 02:31AM

ihscomputers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Dave!
>
> What wire connects to the negative side of the
> coil?
>
> Perhaps you could provide a schematic or a quick
> listing of all the electrical connections to
> supplement your video such as:
>
> 1. Battery cable connects negative battery post to
> ground on bellhousing
> 2. Battery cable connects positive battery post to
> large bolt on solenoid
> 3. etc, etc

Well the distributor wire connects to the neg side of the coil like normal,,so easy,,Matt Nall Has Done it!!drinking smiley

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:32AM

Blindfolded and hands tied behind my back!!!cool smiley

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 02:47AM by MattNall.

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:36AM

I love your videos Dave!

Just figured I'd ask the "dumb" question so that other folks wouldn't feel so bad...grinning smiley

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
CORSA Eastern Division Director

Click here for the slideshow of my '69 Monza vert

1962 Rampside - ORANGE - Driving & showing it
1964 Monza Convertible - WHITE - In pieces awaiting restoration
1969 Monza Convertible - AZTEC BRONZE - Driving & showing it

Date: January 18, 2012 02:41AM

I have found the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask! Asking Dumb questions will save your ass more times than not!thumbs up

Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:49AM

Where's the plaid?
Here is the engine for Helen's Rampy starting for the first time. Evidently it has lost its link on the original thread.
GMoore

Posted by: devypower ()
Date: January 18, 2012 03:02AM

hey thanks much appreciated smileys with beer

Posted by: devypower ()
Date: January 18, 2012 03:07AM

that will make a fine instructional video for your web page dave

Posted by: Frog ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:37PM

Great video, Dave, and very informative instructions. I/We really appreciate your videos.

Thank you.

Frog

Date: January 18, 2012 03:10PM

Dave,

I viewed your great video, again.

I can do most mechanical stuff; the things I can actually see. It's invisible electricity that baffles me. Sometimes I create loud sparks and melt things when I fiddle around with electricity.

What's the best way to test your starter before attaching it to the engine? I'm sure it's a very simple process; maybe just connecting the positive terminal from the battery to the "big nut on the solenoid" and then just momentarily grounding the negative lead from the battery to the body of the starter? Can that be done without attaching smoke detectors and fire alarms (required items when I mess with electricity) or a ballast restitor somewhere between the battery and the starter?

AND, while I was previewing this before posting, I thought about how to test the heater-blower motor while I'm at it. My car went through a lot of sandblasting and painting underneath. I told my body man to pay attention to the heater motor under there. He did cover it, but I want to make sure it works, too.

Thank you.

Frog

[my64corvairsite.com]

Date: January 18, 2012 03:24PM

Damn it! Did it again. "restitor" equals "resistor." Spellcheck doesn't seem to be working--the one in my head.confused smiley

Posted by: Wyvern ()
Date: January 18, 2012 03:29PM

Wait a minute - that's a ground clamp on the positive post. I thought our cars were negative ground?

James
'65 Corsa project
"I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair. Stay loose, my friends."

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: January 18, 2012 04:03PM

Frog,

I have run my engines out of the cars numerous times for 10 to 20 minutes each with no ballast resistor. I have not had any problems, though IIRC the ballast resistor keeps the points from getting burned out (never happened to me however).

Dave

Date: January 18, 2012 04:11PM

I was having problems with A engine shutting off after about a min of running years ago with no ballast resistor in line,and seem to remember the coil on that engine getting realy hot..maybe a weak coil?,so I instaled this resistor and it ran fine after,,but I have ran them with no resistor in line before that and they ran fine,,so I just always use this set up now and they all run finethumbs up

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: January 18, 2012 04:15PM

Including the ballast resistor is undoubtedly the better way to go. I just never had one handy at the time. Thanks for posting up the video Dave. Its really helpful!

Dave

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 18, 2012 04:44PM

Thanks for posting, Dave.

I'm sure there are a zillion little tweaks that various guys use but it's all the same in the end.

I use a battery charger to power the coil instead of battery direct - this limits the current so I don't need a ballast and I can unplug the charger and kill the engine from a distance should something ever go really wrong.

Also note, there's no need for a transaxle - just space the starter off the bell housing with a couple of lug nuts.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Attachments:
Date: January 19, 2012 12:51AM

OK. With all this talk about the coil, I'm assuming that the equivalent of the ballast resistor, which apparently reduces voltage to the coil (for whatever reason this is necessary), is somewhere in the assembled electrical system--maybe the voltage regulator?

Was my idea of testing the starter motor on the bench correct? That is, connecting the plus wire from the battery, then tapping the starter with the negative wire?

Thank you.

Frog

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.