Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Brighter stop and signal light bulbs
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 02, 2012 11:32PM

This discussion got me to thinking. I had the chrome flake off a motorcycle turn signal and stuck some 3M super reflective tape on it. Cut it to cotour. That worked pretty well, think I will try it on one of the Vair lights to see what happens. Let ya know what happens.

J.O.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: January 03, 2012 01:01AM

Another common reason for dim tail lights is old lenses that have darkened with age--often appearing almost black when unlit. Since Corvair tail lights really dont have a reflector at all,the white paint trick does work well. Another mod that works well is removing/cutting the multi-faceted chrome plastic reflector surface found in many new car modular lamps and fit them into Corvair tail/turn signal bases. In addition to poor grounds, FC tail lights can suffer from voltage drop because of the additional wiring length.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: davette59 ()
Date: January 03, 2012 01:06AM

After reading all the comments, I believe I'll try the white paint and see what it does. Thanks to all for your input.

Dave B
SPYDER BYTE
1963 Spyder Convertible
1998 BMW Z3
1960 Studebaker Lark convertible
Music City Corvair Club-Nashville,TN
Studebaker Drivers Club-Nashville,TN
Spare emgine in my trunk

Posted by: Gordo ()
Date: January 03, 2012 02:50AM

Although I have not personally used these lamps, Amazon is offering a 24 LED powered 1157 tail/stop light for around $10 a pair. A friend told me they were very bright and worked well in his non-corvair car. The lamps are made (sold) by Justpac. I suspect the current draw should be equal or less than a 1157 incancescent bulb. I could not find them on Advance's or NAPA's web site.

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: January 03, 2012 04:15AM

Autozone stocks the LEDs.Don't recall the price.I've had them in my 63 cp for at least 3 years and they work great.You will probably need to also install the load compensator they recommend as the turn signals will blink very rapidly without it.

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Date: January 04, 2012 01:17AM

Went to Autozone today and they recommended an 1157 Sylvania silverstar for the taillights and an 1156 for the backup lights. He said these were very bright and that I would definitely be satisfied with them. They weren't cheap at $5.00 per bulb.
We'll see!

Dave B
SPYDER BYTE
1963 Spyder Convertible
1998 BMW Z3
Spare emgine in my trunk

Date: January 04, 2012 01:20AM

Still a bunch cheaper than the LEDs.I think you'll like them.

"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Posted by: jimster1 ()
Date: January 04, 2012 09:12AM

An additional tip, while you've got the base assembly out giving it the white paint treatment, solder a ground wire to the lamp socket and crimp a "O" terminal onto the other end. When reassembling everything, put the terminal under one of the mounting bolts. Solves the crappy ground problem. A beneficial side effect, is if you need an under-hood light at night, you can unplug the tail light bulb and it will stay lit, giving you a reasonable trouble light while you're installing the new fan belt.
Jim

Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: January 04, 2012 10:30AM

I think the white paint makes the most sence. Unless the foil is almost 100% smooth on the houseing, the crinkles will defuse alot of the light instead of reflexing it to the rear. White paint gets my vote as the winner of the Great Tailight Debate of 2012. I'm not ready to make the led jump yet, I've have to see them in person first. I heard they can be "too directional". They look great head on, but stink when viewed on a angle.

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

Posted by: stabac ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:26PM

smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley ".... the Great Tailight Debate of 2012.." Jim

I've been following this thread and thought of this often, finally decided to post it.

We spend $5,000-$10,000 on a car, $3,000-$5,000 for a paint job, $3,000-$5,000 to "tweak" the engine carbs etc,, $100's for trim, emblems, chrome.... all this for a car that is 45 years old. And then we devote all this time to discussing a bulb that might cost $2.00 more or less than another. You gave it a good name Jim, aren't we Corvair owners real nutcases.... I spent half the summer working on my heating system so it could sit in the garage all winter smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

Frank
Just Enough Knowledge To Get Myself In Trouble
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1963 SPYDER TURBO CPE

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:31PM

It is Parkinson's law. Time spent discussing or dealing with any problem or project is inversely related to the amount involved.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: January 04, 2012 03:54PM

If it wasn't for the menial subjects that we discuss, we would never communicate with each other and meet new friends to discuss things that basically have no importance. I, for one, enjoy reading about all the minor nit picky problems that are discussed. A discussion might be small and old hat to a Corvair pro while being a monumental problem to a novice. Remember, if we didn't spend time reading some of this nonsense there would only be more time to read the Clark's catalog and order
more parts that we really didn't need to begin with.
So, let's continue swapping lies to keep one another entertained.
I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what Richard just said. I pretty much have a problem with any word with over 5 letters.

Dave B
SPYDER BYTE
1963 Spyder Convertible
1998 BMW Z3
Spare emgine in my trunk

Posted by: stabac ()
Date: January 04, 2012 04:25PM

"I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what Richard just said. I pretty much have a problem with any word with over 5 letters." Dave

I think he stole that from Einstein or Donald Trump or somebody like that

Frank
Just Enough Knowledge To Get Myself In Trouble
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1963 SPYDER TURBO CPE

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 04, 2012 04:44PM

A regular "white" paint tends to yellow or get brown from the heat of the bulb over time. I suggest a white Hi-Temp paint.

A "foil" reflector tends to be more directional (like a headlamp). I prefer a broader viewing angle for stop lamps, and the white paint does that.

Posted by: 1niceMonza ()
Date: January 04, 2012 05:05PM

Hello all and Happy New Year-
Has anyone tried the "Chrome" paint? Seems like it would have nice even coverage along with high reflectivity. A negative issue here might be heat.

JoeP
Buckley,WA

'65 Monza Coupe
'65 Corsa Coupe
(under restoration)

Henry, the motor is in the rear!

Date: January 04, 2012 05:16PM

I think what Richard was saying is,the smaller the problem the more complex the answer.Why else would we spend countless hours and dollars making shiny painted parts that no one will ever see.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:33PM

The example used in the book was to liken this inverse proportion to decisions made by congress.
-They can easily approve $10 billion or so a mission to the Moon, since few people know anything about it or what $10 billion is.
-When they get to something smaller, i forget the example, there is some discussion, but few people understand, a few want to get on the record as having said something, but again it will pass.
-Then they talk about a new break room. This could go on for a week as everyone has an opinion on lighting, carpeting, size, etc.
-They might spend several weeks deciding on which brand of coffeemaker to buy, since most have opinions on these, whether from personal experience or a friend's recommendation.
-Then they will discuss the brand of coffee to be used, and since everyone has an opinion, everyone can understand $2 or $3 a pound and what you get for that, they will probably end up forming a committee to study it.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: January 04, 2012 09:04PM

“A Committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide that nothing can be done”

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: January 04, 2012 09:08PM

Frank said "We spend $5,000-$10,000 on a car, $3,000-$5,000 for a paint job, $3,000-$5,000 to "tweak" the engine carbs etc,, $100's for trim, emblems, chrome.... all this for a car that is 45 years old. And then we devote all this time to discussing a bulb that might cost $2.00 more or less than another. You gave it a good name Jim, aren't we Corvair owners real nutcases.... I spent half the summer working on my heating system so it could sit in the garage all winter smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley"

I agree, there's something nutty about this. But any hobby is nutty. It gives my brain something to work on, I think I enjoy the process as much as the results. I really enjoy reading past and present post on this site. I'm blown away by the level of knowledge here. I get a little disappointed when a newbie like myself gets sent straight to stand in the corner of the "Search" room, because their question has been answered a hundred times. I understand why, and I try to "Search first, ask questions later" but I do enjoy the the banter.

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

Date: January 04, 2012 09:46PM

A camel is a horse designed by a commitee.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.