Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Locksmiths: Cost to make key (lost key)
Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: January 02, 2012 04:24AM

I need to have keys made for the doors on a car (key was lost). How much should it cost to take the driver's door lock to a locksmith and get new keys made using the key code on the lock cylinder? Any idea where I can get an original key blank?
Thanks!

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Locksmiths: Cost to make key (lost key)
Posted by: Vairforce1 ()
Date: January 02, 2012 04:59AM

Luke-

I had an old-school locksmith key some trunk locks a while back. I think I paid around $10 each.

Dave

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: January 02, 2012 04:59AM

A locksmith can cut a key with just the code, they do not need the lock. Key Men (key-men.com) cuts keys by code for $6.95 per key and the last I checked have about every original GM key. I believe every Briggs and Stratton key is $7.95 each. I've never had them cut a key but I've bought many original keys on several occasions and have had good service every time.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 02, 2012 05:01AM

My locksmith carries the blanks in stock (orig type).

Larry Claypool can do one by mail order... or you can take the lock cylinder in with you. I'd say $25 would be "fair" but I wouldn't be surprised if it were more. (Locksmiths have to make a living you know...)

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Posted by: davette59 ()
Date: January 02, 2012 05:12AM

There are several original key blanks listed on ebay. I had a locksmith make a key on his blank and it didn't look anything like the original GM although it worked.

Dave B
SPYDER BYTE
1963 Spyder Convertible
1978 Avanti II
Music City Corvair Club-Nashville,TN
Studebaker Drivers Club-Nashville,TN
Music City AACA-Nashville,TN
Spare engine in my trunk

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 02, 2012 06:00AM

The 68, 69 or the 62?

62 uses the B-10 blank. I can code cut a pair of those on Curtis blanks that look like the B&S octagonal shape for $6.50 post paid to you.

68 uses the C (B-50) key for door & ignition and the D (B-51) key for glove box and trunk. I can code cut a rectangular Curtis blank pair for $6.95 post paid.

69 uses the E (B-44) key for door and ignition and the H (B-45) key for glove box & trunk. All I have here is the rectangular blanks by Curtis (or others).Same $6.95 a pair.

I do have some B and D blanks that are the pear shape small heads, same as a B-11 trunk key. I can do these in GM blanks for $10.00 a pair.

Frank DuVal

Date: January 02, 2012 07:58AM

Thanks, all! This is not for a Corvair. I will leave it at that...

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: January 02, 2012 11:38AM

About ten dollars at my local lock shop.

John

1962 Rampside
Powered by Injected Vortec 4.3

Sunny Suburban Sparta Michigan.

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: January 02, 2012 01:18PM

Then definitely check out Key Men. They have the greatest assortment of original blanks, foreign and domestic, of any place I know of.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 02, 2012 04:41PM

For most GM vehicles through the late seventies, there should be a four digit code on the cylinder that you can take to a good locksmith shop and have a key made by code.

If you plan on removing a door cylinder, take it from the passenger side. It will be in better overall condition with less wear and more likely to have the code number on it.

If you need the trunk key, remove the glove box lock and take it to the locksmith who can take it apart to obtain the code number. They are easy to take apart unless you have no idea how to do it which is why I suggest having the locksmith do it.

Ford vehicles use a code series that start with FA or FB for their keys, I don't remember what the Mopar codes were.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 04:44PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 02, 2012 05:51PM

The door lock code is on the outside of the assembly, so passenger or driver side should make no difference. Unless you think the fuzzie is more worn on the driver's door, allowing more moisture into the door innards.

Now if it a newer car with an electronic key, add at least $100 to the above range of replies....

Original blanks appear on eBay all the time.

Try this pdf for blank uses:

[www.ekeyblanks.com]

Frank DuVal

Date: January 02, 2012 09:08PM

The Chilton manual says the driver's door lock is the one that has the key code on it. Not sure if this is accurate, as so much of the info in Chilton manuals is generic. Wish I didn't have to remove the door panel to get the lock out.

I tried calling half a dozen locksmiths today. Only one answered the phone. One number was disconnected, and the rest I got answering machines. The one I got hold of I asked how much if I don't remove the lock for the key code and was told $170 to come out and do it. Wish my customers would pay me that much for one hour on-site visit!!! The Ace Hardware said all they can do is copy keys. Jeez.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 02, 2012 10:39PM

"I tried calling half a dozen locksmiths today. Only one answered the phone."

Craig reminds: It's a national holiday today, as weird as that seems. Try again tomorrow.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 02, 2012 11:38PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The door lock code is on the outside of the
> assembly, so passenger or driver side should make
> no difference. Unless you think the fuzzie is more
> worn on the driver's door, allowing more moisture
> into the door innards.
>
> Now if it a newer car with an electronic key, add
> at least $100 to the above range of replies....
>
> Original blanks appear on eBay all the time.
>
> Try this pdf for blank uses:
>
> [www.ekeyblanks.com]
>
> Frank DuVal

Frank is right about the codes being on both sides.

It however was mentioned that this was not for a Corvair and did not specifically mention that it was for a GM product. In later years if my memory serves, some cars only had the code on the passenger side lock.

Foreign cars for example often did not have the code on the lock, but on a paper tag in the glove box. Over the years things get lost, changed, swapped out, or damaged which makes this more difficult to get a key from a code number.

The main reason for using the passenger side it that they typically have much less wear than the driver side.

If the lock does not have a code number on it for some reason like replacement over the years, it would be the better one to dis-assemble to make a key from.

I have not kept up with the automotive side of Locksmithing over the years so there is a chance my memory is fuzzy. By the time I started working as a Locksmith in 1979 the locks I typically saw were a bit different than the Corvair cylinders.

A.Raine C.P.L.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 11:41PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: ipro ()
Date: January 25, 2012 08:14PM

you can get your key by consulting the locksmith where i lost my key and i consulted a locksmith and i got my problem solved with low cost.

Locksmith

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: January 25, 2012 08:34PM

Local hardware store charges $9.95 (includes key blank).

Local locksmith charges approximately the same, but key is extra. I assume labor rate remains the same no matter what type of key. I suppose there's a difference in cost of key blanks.

Posted by: aabc4lock ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:45PM

you can contract here : automotive locksmith chicago.They will help you at Resonable Price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2013 12:47PM by aabc4lock.

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: April 28, 2013 01:12PM

I just had to get a key made for my parts car, didn't get the key with the car. Frank made mine and they where a perfect fit. But since this isn't for a corvair, I did call a local locksmith. He wanted $35.00 to make a key, if I brought them the lock.

Good luck,

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then!

Front profile now!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.