Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Bad differential, wheel bearing, throw out bearing? How to tell?
Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: January 01, 2012 06:52PM

RECENTLY WHILE DRIVING TO WORK IN THE 62 THERE WAS A LOUD CLUNK THEN GRINDING NOISE WHILE ONLY IN GEAR FOR THE NEXT 25 MILES. FINALLY COMING HOME IT FELT LIKE THE WHEEL LOCKED UP AND I HAD IT TOWED. I HAD TO REALLY FORCE IT OFF THE TOW TRUCK. IT WOULDN'T ROLL OFF BY ITSELF. THE R\R WHEEL SEEMS UNABLE TO COME OFF EVEN AFTER WHACKING IT HARD WHICH MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO CHECK THE WHEEL BEARING. MY QUESTION IS HOW TO I DIFFERENTIATE A PROBLEM BETWEEN A WHEEL BEARING, A THROW OUT BEARING, A DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEM OR A DIFFERENTIAL BEARING? BTW I GOT ROBBED BY GUN POINT ON X-MAS MORNING AND THEY STOLE MY LAPTOP SO I HAVE TO WRITE ON A TABLET COMPUTER WHICH IS A BIT WEIRD.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad differential, wheel bearing, throw out bearing? How to tell?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 01, 2012 07:15PM

Bummer!! Bad way to end the year!!

do you mean the Wheel?. or the brake drum?

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 01, 2012 07:22PM

Sounds like a transaxle problem. I would pull the axles (once you get that stuck wheel off) and see what turns and what doesn't. Could even be the brakes. Definitely not the throwout bearing since that's only in play when the clutch pedal is depressed. Bummer about getting your laptop stolen but better that than getting sent to the hospital or worse. sad smiley

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)
64 GB -CrUnChEd (donor)

20 Tons of parts in boxes

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: January 01, 2012 07:26PM

Hate when that happens.My Red 64 cp did that last winter and it turned out to be a broken spider gear and shaft.Since I was only a few blocks from home I managed to limp it home but it took a LOT of throttle to get it to move and it made some really nasty noises.You didn't mention whether its a posi or open but I would suspect diff problem either way.Once you get the axle out you'll know for sure.

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Date: January 01, 2012 07:38PM

The wheel itself is seized to the brake drum. The wheels are freshly painted which may have something to do with it being stuck. Anyway the robber hit me in the ear with the handle of his handgun so I hit him back with the laptop then ran like hell with a bloody and bruised ear. I know that I should be able to see what's going on in the differential if I take the cover off. Before all this I was thinking about the possibility of one of those asbestos pads on the cluth disc breaking off and grinding against the bellhousing. I suppose that would be difficult to diagnose without separating the engine from the trans.

Date: January 01, 2012 07:50PM

Bill, did you replace the transaxle or did you fix it via replacing parts? What did it cost you and did you do the repairs yourself?

Posted by: vairmech ()

There are several causes that could go with your description.

How well did it roll onto the tow truck? You say it wouldn't roll on it's own off the truck.

You mention Throw out bearing so I take it this is a manual. Is there any noises as you are letting the clutch out before the car moves? Only after the car moves is there noise?

As was asked earlier, you need the RR wheel and brake drum off to start your investigation, if you are lucky your search will end there. One thing to check, with both wheels off the ground can you turn one and the other turn in the opposite direction? What happens?

Sorry about your misfortune but quit yelling, turn your CAPS off. That is an indication of yelling.

Ken Hand
CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Treasurer
248 613 8586
[www.corvairmechanic.com]
vairmech@aol.com

[s186.photobucket.com]

Photobucket
Nose art from a CH-47 in Viet Nam

Photobucket

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()

With the rear wheels off the ground,trans in neutral, does each wheel spin freely as they should ?
If either is siezed, you could disconnect the universal joint and retry to spin the wheel. This should narrow it down to either brake/wheel bearing issue or inside the differential.
If your car wont roll freely in neutral,I think we can dismiss the throwout bearing and clutch facing theories.

John

1962 Rampside
Powered by Injected Vortec 4.3

Sunny Suburban Sparta Michigan.

Date: January 01, 2012 07:56PM

The noise starts after the car is moving. It was loudest in 4th gear

Date: January 01, 2012 08:04PM

I got to go to the autoparts store to get some jackstands providing they are open because today is New Years day. I'll report my findings tonight. Thanks for the help guys.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 01, 2012 08:21PM

Did the car act sort of like it wanted to be in two gears at once? Did it sort of ratchet or jump at low speeds?

If so, you aren't going to like my answer.

Ken Hand
CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Treasurer
248 613 8586
[www.corvairmechanic.com]
vairmech@aol.com

[s186.photobucket.com]

Photobucket
Nose art from a CH-47 in Viet Nam

Photobucket

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 01, 2012 08:34PM

Nothing quite like having a gun pointed at you in the comission of a crime.

Before it starts...if guns are banned only bad guys like this will have guns.

I'm a lifetime NRA member and own many weapons of all types.

Paso Robles CA and Palmtuckey CA-Unsafe At Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (est 1938) CORSA Member-Corsa West-High Desert Corvairs Corvanatic-Ventura County Corvair-Central Coast Corsa-Angel Fan Since 1978...HALO POWER!! So Cal Gas Since 1974 (retired) L/M Landspeed 3L/915 T04B methanol Coupe-65 Corsa-62 Rampside(2)-B&M Blown Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-Next Build L/M ADE/BBC/PG/QC Street Racer-Diesel Streamliner 7.3IDI/C6/GV/9" Dream-1939 Lincoln Zephyr V12-Vehicles in My Possession...12

Date: January 01, 2012 10:04PM

Vairmech no it didn't do any of that. I have the jackstands and drain pan now so I can begin testing today. I just drove the car out of the garage just now and tried forward & reverse at parking lot speed and no noises or issues which is weird because I had to really force it into the garage but I have had both rear wheels off the ground since then (one at a time) and they spun freely. I would be so grateful if this just turns out to be an unusual brake failure. Btw the U joints look fine incase anybody asks.

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: January 01, 2012 10:20PM

Dan
Hope it was a brake dragging and nothing more. You originally stated there was a clunk and grinding, then wouldnt roll. Did the clunk and grinding stop too ?

John

1962 Rampside